How much do you pay for sweetcorn?

steve2

Reaction score
What ever is the cheapest the fish can't tell the difference. The same with all supermarket tinned baits. Is there really any difference between supermarket baits and the overpriced tackle company baits?

robertroach

Reaction score
Ralph you have got too much time on your hands, life is too short to be so worried about the price of sweetcorn.

Ever thought of finding a hobby to occupy yourself?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Sainsbury's basic own brand in a small ring pulled tin is 35p.... it catches fine and at that cost, I don't mind dumping a little if I've not got enough total bait at the end of a session to feel it's worth freezing.

I do like a few bits of corn in a groundbait mix, specially at this time of year when chub, barbel, tench or big roach might succumb on the river. However, I do tend to think of it as a "change" bait... probably to be tried when meat, pellets, maggots or worms have let me down (or just aren't catching what I want them to...)

Reaction score
I'm afraid the idea that GG is softer than OB corn bewilders me,mainly as nuisance fish seem to be able to eat the OB well unfortunately,also the idea of freezing leftovers from a tin equally so,as freezing corn makes it lose it's crispness,which to me is part of it's appeal,it is like worrying about making tares soft for hemp and tare fishing,god,their eating hemp that's hard shelled,I can't tell you how many fish i've caught on tares and i've only cooked them enough to be able to be squeezed and not split like split peas,saves re-baiting after every bite too...:)

rubio

Reaction score
I am, or have become , a fan of frozen over canned corn. Cost is one good reason but I believe (and it's me that has to believe in it of course) it is better. Paticularly when turned out into a small bucket and left without air in the car boot for a few days. No need to add sugar to that.
I also squeeze the kernel out a little to promote bites as this is the bit fish want. Just watch how many skins float to the top for evidence of this.
If I really look for a difference in types of corn then I occasionally search out the, almost white, tiny grains in cans of baby corn. This is a GG version. Bream especially favour these, which is extra reason enough to stick with the cheap stuff.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Ralph you have got too much time on your hands, life is too short to be so worried about the price of sweetcorn.

Ever thought of finding a hobby to occupy yourself?

Find a new hobby? I though I just had. Now, do you know how many kernels there are in a 340g tin of Green Giant, and what the average circumference of each piece is?

Ralph :(

dicky123

Reaction score
Ah, sorry just dozed off!

Misses buys me Little Green chap mini tins in packs of 4. No idea of cost and don't really care. The important thing is I always have 3 in the car at any time. So easy to open a can and it's enough for a session. The ducks get the rest.

****y.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One thing to remember about the tinned stuff....many clubs will not allow their members to take tins on their waters.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was liquidising four to six tins, plus a few loaves, for a summer evening's tenching after work. The mix was fed about a rod out, so it could be kept extremely sloppy - my overalls set like concrete after a good session! The only solid bait was the Green Giant on the hook and they were really crawling up the rod at times. One session, I went to pull the keepnet out and could barely move it and with the light going there was no chance of a proper weighing, so I settled for counting them back out of the net. I can never remember whether it was 62 carp and 28 tench, or 58 and 32, but with the average size about 4lb there's no wonder it wouldn't budge. In the following years the carp ousted the tench and the water's now a pale shadow of it's former self, sad to say. Good memories, though. There was a six-inch deep shelf before the margin dropped away and the tench would come in on their sides to take spilled bait when the light was going. I caught a few that way, inches from the edge, but they got their revenge by painting me with bankside mud.:D

When liquidising the corn did you use evaporated milk or water?

Reaction score
It really annoys me that I should not be allowed to take unopened tins onto the waterside,when I leave no litter and pick others garbage up,all that does is promote the waste of a food product,on top of that the litter leavers who are rule breakers will continue to break this rule so the only person that suffers are anglers like myself,what a load of b*lls...:(

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I leave no litter and pick others garbage up,all that does is promote the waste of a food product,on top of that the litter leavers who are rule breakers will continue to break this rule so the only person that suffers are anglers like myself,what a load of b*lls...:(

Agreed, it is annoying/frustrating when we are forced to o bide by seemingly silly rules because of the ignorance of a few horrible scrotes.
Often the rules are put in place by the land owner and the club either agree to them when taking on the water or go elsewhere.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, it is annoying/frustrating when we are forced to o bide by seemingly silly rules because of the ignorance of a few horrible scrotes.
Often the rules are put in place by the land owner and the club either agree to them when taking on the water or go elsewhere.

That is exactly right and the basis of the rule on a syndicate venue were I have a membership.

Spam and corn tins had caused injuries to the owner's cattle and it was a case of the new rule or the loss of the venue.

Personally I don't find it an imposition at all, in fact quite the contrary as I can cut and prepare, flavour and when wanted colour my baits all at home and far easier than trying to do it at the bankside.

Ziplok bags and bait boxes ensure the baits stay as fresh as possible and valuable fishing time is saved when at the venue . . . . . .

robtherake

Reaction score
When liquidising the corn did you use evaporated milk or water?

Just plain old water, but not too much or one ends up carrying a load of water to the bankside, where there's plenty more. A few loaves mashed into it at the waterside makes it go a lot further. For close-in use I make it extremely sloppy and flick it out with a big spoon or similar. I have a scoop/launcher somewhere that I made by cutting diagonally across a two-pint plastic milk carton, retaining the handle.

Reaction score
Why not underarm a spod/mini spod it,less disturbance and easy to scoop,you havn't got to cast to the horizon...:)

robtherake

Reaction score
Why not underarm a spod/mini spod it,less disturbance and easy to scoop,you havn't got to cast to the horizon...:)

I devised the slop chucker back in the 80s, well before I'd ever heard of spodding. The main advantage is not having to faff about with another rod, which isn't strictly necessary when you're fishing off the rod end. I've begun to use a 6ft 3lb Nash Dwarf for close range spodding and it's just the thing. Much easier to be accurate with than the usual twelve-footer.

Reaction score
Must say Rob,I do like the mini-spod for close in stuff,it gets a decent amount of bait with little disturbance more often than not,as you can actually place it there.