How much do you pay for sweetcorn?

fishplate42

Reaction score
For a while I have been using one brand of sweetcorn. After a discussion about what corn we use, I discovered that nearly everyone you ask has a different view on it, leaving me totally confused and wondering if I needed to consider a change. I went out an bought a few cans...

group_shot%2B-%2Bthe_others.jpg

The first thing I have done is a price comparison and the results are interesting. Next I will look at the contents. For now, if you want to see a breakdown of how much we are paying for sweetcorn, In Part 1 of my Sweetcorn Exposed bolg there is a table of the results HERE. In Part 2, that I will post in the next few days, I will look at the contents.

Now all I need is recipe that uses a few kilos of sweetcorn!

Ralph.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I'm afraid that corn is something that I buy when I need it from wherever I am at the time....like milk, petrol and bread. I don't shop around.

Yes, I know it is only pennies, but it was more out of interest than for any practical reason. I did discover a few other things while I was becoming a corn nerd - useful stuff for boring dinner party guests...

Ralph ;)

iain t

Reaction score
I usually buy from Iceland's. About £1.25 a Kilo. I debag it into smaller session bags. If i forget to defrost i just buy an own brand can.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I can't believe that I actually read the whole of your report about sweetcorn comparisons Lol.

I'm using Tescos own brand tinned sweetcorn today but I will often use whatever sweetcorn I find in the shops, I will occasionally use frozen sweetcorn, although I much prefer tinned sweetcorn which comes in a sweet flavoured juice which I sometimes mix into my Tench groundbait.

I don't often look at the price as the wife usually gets it for me. It isn't a very expensive bait anyway, unless you are using it in bulk; which I never do.

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to use Sensas sweet corn for hook baits as it is usually larger than most tinned varieties and I like the ready-flavoured varieties.

It is not as cheap as supermarket stuff but it is just what I am used to using and have had good success with it.

For ground bait freebies though then its usually frozen corn that is put into smaller bags on purchase and re-frozen.

rich66

Reaction score
Tesco's own is my normal brand 50p a tin with a ring pull lid. Save's me faffing around at the bank. I occasionally use frozen sweet corn blended a little as ground bait additive.

mikench

Reaction score
I too read your report Ralph and fascinating it was too........(stifling a yawn):rolleyes:

Remember when you next have a dinner party I am away!:)

I must admit to trying various tins of corn and find Lidl or Sainsbury ob's to be reasonable priced and those bream do like them. I keep the Green Giant for me!!!

Well done Ralph! Where you bored?:)

robtherake

Reaction score
They vary quite a lot - some of the cheaper brands are particularly hard and make poor hookbaits compared to the softer kernels. At one point I was using so much that a switch to a cheaper brand made sound economic sense, but I never found one to match Green Giant. It may not be the cheapest, but Green Giant has been the most consistent fish catcher for me where the fish are excessively fussy. Their sweetcorn and pepper version is a great hookbait and I have a lot of confidence in it.

floatfish

Reaction score
Another who has shares in the Aldi frozen Corn.Good product cheap, put into session size freezer bags and taken out as needed. Fish seem to think it's ok
and nice to eat as well.!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't use frozen for anything other than free offerings. I never bother to refreeze it. I use tinned for hookbaits. Fpr many years I wouldn't use anything but Green Giant. However, times change. I do shop in Lidl anyway, so I invariably chuck a couple of tins of Freshona into my basket every time I visit. I don't consider it to be quite as good as Green Giant, but at the price, I don't care.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use the large bags of cheap frozen corn from asda, it's great for feeding and hookbait. I find it much better than tinned stuff as it's usually larger kernels and it stays on the hook well, unlike the soft kernels you get in a tin.
I've found it re-freezes well if I do take it home and is ok for several de-frosting's and re- freezing's. The frozen bags of corn (depending on which ones you get) vary in price from about 75p to over a quid. Corn and maggots are the biggest part of my fishing bait.

robtherake

Reaction score
Crikey Rob...you must have been using it by the ton not the tin.:eek:

BTW I agree about GG. I dont bother looking any further

I was liquidising four to six tins, plus a few loaves, for a summer evening's tenching after work. The mix was fed about a rod out, so it could be kept extremely sloppy - my overalls set like concrete after a good session! The only solid bait was the Green Giant on the hook and they were really crawling up the rod at times. One session, I went to pull the keepnet out and could barely move it and with the light going there was no chance of a proper weighing, so I settled for counting them back out of the net. I can never remember whether it was 62 carp and 28 tench, or 58 and 32, but with the average size about 4lb there's no wonder it wouldn't budge. In the following years the carp ousted the tench and the water's now a pale shadow of it's former self, sad to say. Good memories, though. There was a six-inch deep shelf before the margin dropped away and the tench would come in on their sides to take spilled bait when the light was going. I caught a few that way, inches from the edge, but they got their revenge by painting me with bankside mud.:D

fishplate42

Reaction score
It is interesting how different people have different loyalties when there is very little to chose between one tin and another, so long as you stick to the same liquid. Green Giant sweetcorn has salt added and although there are others with added salt, most of the other brands are in just plain water or with added sugar (WHAT!) like Tesco Everyday sweetcorn.

I think this whole subject is all about what you (or me!) believe works, but at the end of the day my choice would be bigger can, as I feed it as well as use it for hookers, and one that has a ring pull for 'van-stock' At the end of the day, for the amount we are going to use, the price is fairly insignificant. After all, if I am going to use any amount for loose feed or corn custard, I will be using the frozen stuff. now I realise that Green Giant has salt added I might experiment with adding salt to my frozen stuff...

I will write up what I find when I open at least one of each of the cans - but you don't have to read it - I won't be offended - Honest! Unless you suffer from insomnia, that is, as it will probably cure you.

Ralph.

sagalout

Reaction score
I buy the supermarket own brand frozen 1kg bags and when I am making me flask up I put as much sweetcorn as I want into a suitable receptacle, make up a jug of sugared or salted boiling water (please make sure you have adult supervision when using boiling water) and pour over the previously receptacled sweetcorn.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It is interesting how different people have different loyalties when there is very little to chose between one tin and another, so long as you stick to the same liquid. Green Giant sweetcorn has salt added and although there are others with added salt, most of the other brands are in just plain water or with added sugar (WHAT!) like Tesco Everyday sweetcorn.

I think this whole subject is all about what you (or me!) believe works, but at the end of the day my choice would be bigger can, as I feed it as well as use it for hookers, and one that has a ring pull for 'van-stock' At the end of the day, for the amount we are going to use, the price is fairly insignificant. After all, if I am going to use any amount for loose feed or corn custard, I will be using the frozen stuff. now I realise that Green Giant has salt added I might experiment with adding salt to my frozen stuff...

I will write up what I find when I open at least one of each of the cans - but you don't have to read it - I won't be offended - Honest! Unless you suffer from insomnia, that is, as it will probably cure you.

Ralph.
I have experimented doing just that but using Lo- Salt which is potassium based. I add it in quite high levels and I also use it by sprinkling it on punched bread prior to rolling it out with a rolling pin I add it to the liquidised bread ground bait too.

Does it make a difference? Well, when the fish are really having it then not so much but if it is hard I often have a good day when all around me are struggling for a bite.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk