Pole v rod and reel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never expressed an interest in pole fishing, I have a dodgy back so sitting on a box is out of the question, however I can understand the obvious advantages of using a pole instead of rod and reel.

It's not necessary to fish any further out than a couple of rod lengths on my local lake with a depth of 5ft, target species being tench (sorry Mike). I've used a 5m pole on the last couple of visits and the catch rate has definitely increased.

I find when using a rod I tend to ignore a lot of little nibbles on the float, waiting for the sail away bite but with the pole I can use a more sensitive float dotted down further when conditions allow and find I'm lifting into the smallest of bites. What became apparent yesterday was the increased amount of foul hooked fish I caught, tench are quite a handful foul hooked on a pole for a beginner!

I'm fishing a couple of inches over depth using a size 18 hook, can't think of any way to reduce foul hookers though.

On an aside has anyone got a "clever claw", a device for clamping your pole giving you hands free for feeding etc.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Foul hooking is usually caused by feeding too much bait. You could also try experimenting with the depth you're fishing at, instead of laying on try fishing at dead depth or an inch off bottom. This may help prevent foul hooking, tench have big fins....
Personally I never put my pole in a roost or claw whilst fishing, things can go wrong. Have you got a cupping kit with your pole?

mikench

Reaction score
i have seen something advertised that looks like an inverted butt rest for the end of the pole to sit under rather than on! Sorry i cannot remember what it is called and no idea if it is any good or not!

Well done you on your tench! :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Foul hooking is usually caused by feeding too much bait. You could also try experimenting with the depth you're fishing at, instead of laying on try fishing at dead depth or an inch off bottom. This may help prevent foul hooking, tench have big fins....
Personally I never put my pole in a roost or claw whilst fishing, things can go wrong. Have you got a cupping kit with your pole?

Too much bait meaning too many fish competing for food in the swim?

I've been raking the swim and then a bit later adding some liquidised corn into the area, does seem to instantly attract the bream. Next visit I will have a cupping kit and abandon the rake and liccy corn and instead just a few free offerings every few minutes.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The reason I tried the pole a week or two back was the fact I was fed up with all the cr@p on the surface from willow etc clogging up rings and spools. The lake in question is stunningly beautiful with trees and shrubs around two thirds of it so there's always some floating debris to contend with.

Using a pole eliminates many of these annoyances.

rayner

Reaction score
I enjoy pole fishing also using my rods.
A strong wind is forecast tomorrow so my rods will get some use.
Is one better than the other ?, not for me. I see them even, horses for courses sort of thing.
Certainly one always has the edge over the other, depends on circumstances.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
if you want to be more comfortable perhaps try using a rest at the front like a mini v shaped pole roller and then just put the pole butt in your crotch on the chair. shouldn't be a problem as your fishing a short pole and you'll have your hands free to pour a cuppa.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
:thumbs:

84E0499B-B9DC-42A1-BAFC-B66B39D18592_zpsz8rnnd3h.jpg

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I prefer a short pole to a rod and line for float work. Much easier to plumb up and greater accuracy. I use a margin pole - max elastic white hydro which will land almost anything

Reaction score
Years ago I did things because I thought one was better than the other,today my preference is to try and make things happen on the methods I like,which 99% of the time is rod and reel,I like to overcome conditions and sort out shotting patterns to get fish to the net,plus the actual playing of a fish is more enjoyable on a rod and reel,imo.:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've only used the pole a few times but have noticed how different it is playing a fish on elastic, it's come as a surprise that I've successfully landed a double figure carp and a sturgeon on my very first attempt.

thecrow

Reaction score
,plus the actual playing of a fish is more enjoyable on a rod and reel,imo

As you may have seen yesterday was a first for me with a pole and just for a short time so my thoughts have only been formed from this, I reckon that presentation and bite registration is better using one as opposed to a rod and reel it seemed as though the elastic did that bit for me and there was less feel to the fish.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I had to use a pole for fishing i'd take up golf!

Reaction score
As you may have seen yesterday was a first for me with a pole and just for a short time so my thoughts have only been formed from this, I reckon that presentation and bite registration is better using one as opposed to a rod and reel it seemed as though the elastic did that bit for me and there was less feel to the fish.

I've caught many good fish on the pole many double figure carp,tench to 5lb+,10lb bream,quite a few barbel,a 2lb roach,on a river too:),3lb perch(on sweetcorn:confused:),but that doesn't take away the fact that I enjoy float fishing on rod and line more,the skill that is required to achieve what you get dangling a pole float off the tip gives a sense of a job well done that many others cannot manage,the other big issue is often your loose feed is out of range of your pole if a tow occurs and often you don't notice said tow on a pole,as i've said on many threads each to their own,but I knows what I like and I likes what I do...;)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you're suppose to play a big fish on the pole, when you dont think there's and further give in the elastic:eek: do you keep the pole low, tip under the surface slightly, or up high?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Tip under the surface lowers the resistance on your elastic. Big carp will stop pulling so hard. Holding your pole up high causes the carp to swim in circles but there is the added risk of pole breakage....

rayner

Reaction score
I've caught many good fish on the pole many double figure carp,tench to 5lb+,10lb bream,quite a few barbel,a 2lb roach,on a river too:),3lb perch(on sweetcorn:confused:),but that doesn't take away the fact that I enjoy float fishing on rod and line more,the skill that is required to achieve what you get dangling a pole float off the tip gives a sense of a job well done that many others cannot manage,the other big issue is often your loose feed is out of range of your pole if a tow occurs and often you don't notice said tow on a pole,as i've said on many threads each to their own,but I knows what I like and I likes what I do...;)

Most anglers think tow is negated by pole fishing. That may be so with regard to holding the float still, it is all fine so long as we fish over the baited area.
The float may not drift but loose feed certainly can.