Silly rod names

mikench

Reaction score
I see you can now buy a Sonic Vader carp rod named after Darth himself!:) How would Carp cope with a light sabre?:) I once dressed as Darth at a fancy dress party; there were at least 6 others!!;)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Would only take a one letter typo and a "yank n bank" takes on a whole different meaning.

mikench

Reaction score
Indeed! Could you go fishing with a rod with a name like that?:rolleyes:

It is the piscatorial equivalent of a Yugo Zastava!:rolleyes:

B

binka

I've always found Puddle Chucker to be a curious one, how can you chuck a puddle?

I suppose the whole cliché is lost by the time you rephrase it to Chucker into a Puddler :eek:mg:

On the flip side there have been some good names, Sabre being one of my favourites.

I had a pair of original Nash Sabres back in the 90's, both 1.5tc and I travelled the length of the country to get the second one, I would give my right arm and a fair proportion of my left for those rods now.

nottskev

Reaction score
Puddle Chucker: Exemplifies the inherent ambiguity of compound nouns in which the two terms can have different grammatical relations. So, a paper bag is a bag made of paper, but the paper boy........

I haven't even seen a barbel this season, but there are some things.. :)

mikench

Reaction score
..........and we think foreign languages are difficult! At an advanced level English is very complicated indeed!:)

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi Mike, I know it's only am, but you have a pm, if the thing sent properly.

B

binka

Puddle Chucker: Exemplifies the inherent ambiguity of compound nouns in which the two terms can have different grammatical relations. So, a paper bag is a bag made of paper, but the paper boy........

You took the words right out of my mouth Kev :wh

The odd thing is that having read it as you wrote it I actually understand what you mean, had I been locked in a room and not released until I could phrase it in a similarly understandable manner I would be pile of dry bone before they swept me out :eek:mg:

And I thought the most brain taxing task of the day was going to be what to have on my sarnies this afternoon :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What concerns me far more to be honest is the fact that the people who dream up these names must believe that they .

. . . . .will appeal to the average angler . . . . .

i'll just leave that here then . . . . . ;)

sagalout

Reaction score
I've got one called Dave and another called.......wait for it.........drum roll please.....yes, Rodney.

sam vimes

Reaction score
When gear is good, most will happily ignore daft/macho/militaristic names. We've had the likes of Titans and Avengers from Normark since the eighties. Few cite these as daft names, because they are prized rods and recognised as such for many years. However, when you think about it, Avenger and Titan are no less ridiculous than so many names out there.

When rods are unfamiliar to them, or deemed inferior, a bad name will stand out like a sore thumb and people make assumptions based on the name. Shimano's Beastmasters are a fine example. They've used the name on all sorts of kit. Some of it lives up to the name, but most is just average in the mastering beasts stakes. The Beastmaster light feeder and float rods don't come anywhere near to living up to the name. It's a pitfall to take such names too literally.

The bad one

Reaction score
With a letter change in Yank and Bank.... Surely it would be a change to Porky Pig:eek:
I'll put my bicycle Clips on them :D

Philip

Reaction score
Shakespeare Ugly Stik ....it was always one of my favourite rod names and obviously had something going for it given how many they sold.

bullet

Reaction score
Shimano Blue Romance spinning rods....the name very nearly put me off buying it, but actually they are very good quality rods, I now have 2.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With a name like marksman you'd think it was a rifle name rather than a fishing rod.

The names are just a way of distinguishing exactly what rod your speaking about, much like our own names. There are so many different rods out there they have to come up with whatever sounds best. It's much the same thing when thinking up kennel club names for dogs, we have loads of different ones that have nothing to do with dogs at all but when you say the name at a show everyone knows what dog your talking about, so long as you say the kennel affix also.

iain t

Reaction score
I remember a rod called The master blaster. A long distance carp rod. Reminded me too much of Stevie Wonder's LP of the 80s.
Winkle picker. A short 8ft rod can't remember the maker but i remember it was a floppy bit of fibreglass. A margin rod. Reminded me of picking a winkle from its shell with a pin.

Over my 45 years of angling, there have been model names that turned me off buying only to find 30 years later that they were brilliant rods that demand a premium

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Maverick moby ****............maverick have sone good uns

And Shakespeare winkle pickle I think?

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are loads of Winklepickers out there from various manufacturers. It's deemed to be a certain type of rod (short, light, quivertip rod) rather than a name. Shimano have had Nexave, Super Ultegra etc, etc Winklepickers. The first I recall hearing described as a Winklepicker was probably the original Shakespeare Sigma Wand. I don't think that they actually called it a winklepicker though.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Many moons ago I built a rod for me mate who wanted me to put a name on it ( with Letraset). He wanted W***ker Spanker but settled for Woppa Stopper

I've still got an Abu Zeus which I always though a tad pretentious. Decent rod in its day though.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

There are loads of Winklepickers out there from various manufacturers. It's deemed to be a certain type of rod (short, light, quivertip rod) rather than a name. Shimano have had Nexave, Super Ultegra etc, etc Winklepickers. The first I recall hearing described as a Winklepicker was probably the original Shakespeare Sigma Wand. I don't think that they actually called it a winklepicker though.

They didn't. Winklepicker was a generic term for wand type rods. The Sigma Wand was simply probably the first and in many people's minds the best of them though later offering from other stables ( like Silstar) I thought were actually better rods. Still loved my wand though.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Back in the days before irony, somebody thought it wasn't at all funny to name a rod the Allcocks Climax...