Gardner power brolly spike

mikench

Reaction score
I really struggled on the bank yesterday with the brolly spike which I could not get into the ground beyond a couple of inches. The substrate was hard sand and gravel. I had a mallet but decided I did not want to potentially upset the carpers on either side of me!;) besides it may not have made much difference!

My question to you learned folk is what length . The existing Preston Alu pole is 30"including the so called spike so I am thinking the 29" Gardner should be fine and a like for like replacement! I could get a 36" one but doubt I would need the extra length( size isn't everything) . What do you reckon?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never really encountered a situation where a well guyed out brolly is not perfectly stable despite only having a few inches of its spike in the ground.

Two, or better still, three guy ropes with tensioners fitted does the job perfectly well for me.
It can be a little "fiddly" to erect (shut it lout) but once up it is very stable.

F\or very windy days or longer stays I tend to use a shelter over a brolly but the same principles apply.

seth49

Reaction score
I swapped the pole on my fifty inch korum brolly, the bottom part for a solid alloy one with a screw thread on the bottom and a small tommy bar, this goes in a treat by screwing it into the ground.

Was really good to screw in the ground, got down about six inches easily, still needs a couple of cords to secure it properly though, worth every penny of the sixteen pounds I paid.

dicky123

Reaction score
Mike.

I have the same problem. The spike is well made but not pointed enough, if you get my meaning. I'm going to try and find someone with a grinder that can put a real sharp point on mine. That should help! Mine has a tee bar too.

Sometimes you do have to mallet it in I've found:eek:

mikench

Reaction score
The standard Preston one ( flat back space saver) has a short length of screw thread but it is all but useless unless on soft grass or soil. I have ordered the Gardner one and see how that works. The standard hollow spike can be a spare!

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
I use the solid spike with a Preston Mega Brolly Arm Long attached to a Korum chair. I did but the short arm but found it to short. I have no problem with a 50” brolly upright or at an angel using the spike & arm

Don’t worry about upsetting the carpers they don’t care about us when they are bashing in 20 pegs around there bivvys

Brand New Power Drive Solid Aluminium Umbrella Spike | eBay

Preston Mega Brolly Arm Long

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

Mike.

I have the same problem. The spike is well made but not pointed enough, if you get my meaning. I'm going to try and find someone with a grinder that can put a real sharp point on mine. That should help! Mine has a tee bar too.

Sometimes you do have to mallet it in I've found:eek:

Putting a to sharper point on the spike will make the end burr and make it even harder to get in to the ground

russell_bush

Reaction score
I've had a Gardner brolly power spike for approximately 25 years now. It has been worth it's weight in gold over that time.

mikench

Reaction score
I have ordered one and if it lasts that long it can be used to fly a flag on my last resting place!;)

B

binka

I've had a Gardner brolly power spike for approximately 25 years now. It has been worth it's weight in gold over that time.

I'll second that although I've not had mine for quite so long, it is on its second brolly though and really transforms the stability of it imo.

I also have storm pole attachments fitted and guy ropes on S clips which I can just attach to the spokes if necessary.

Is it just my imagination or does anyone else have visions of a huge gush of water suddenly erupting out of the ground when they are screwing their brolly spike in? :D