My!

fishplate42

Reaction score
I could not think of another title for this thread (that I could write here) that would be appropriate.

It is probably down to my increasingly obvious lack of knowledge, especially when it comes to vintage tackle. Yes, I know about split cane rods, at least that they exist, I can even understand the nostalgia connected with a bygone age but discovering that people are parting with many thousands of pounds to buy replicas of inferior rods (compared to modern tackle), or at least new rods made using an old fashioned and inferior materials and techniques amazes me.

Why?

If I wanted to experience the 'feel' of old tackle I would want old tackle. I just don't get it. I expect that most of you know about THIS company. Just take a look at the prices.

Please don't think I am having a go at the company or anyone who buys their goods, I am just curious to find who does.

Ralph.

B

binka

I guess it comes down to individual taste just like the general antiques market.

Why would anyone want a vintage wireless radio when they could have a state of the art digital set for a fraction of the cost?

It makes no sense on paper yet it's a common enough example.

Some get their pleasure from using old tackle and others have it recreated at great expense.

I don't indulge but I can see why many do, fishing to me is about a lot more than catching a fish and outside of that is the pleasure derived from the gear that I use and I guess it's no different for those who prefer to use older stuff.

I would imagine that generally speaking their decisions are less likely to be based on the performance of the gear than the pleasure they derive from using it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Did you ever see the plain looking CNC machined centrepin reel they produced, or should I say they got someone else to make and then charged the earth for it because it had their name on it. The reel was most likely ok but imo it was seriously overpriced when you consider it had no fiddly spokes etc to put together, it was just a solid drum machined from a lump of alloy similar in appearance to an old black wheel hub.
I've no knowledge about cane rods other than i've handled them and I really don't like them. I think a lot of the so called "Traditional Anglers" who use cane and dress up for the occasion remind me of the people who do re-enactments of knights jousting etc .
Good luck to 'em if that's what they get pleasure from but it deff'o ain't for me and neither are the rods, and certainly not at those ridiculous prices!

geoffw

Reaction score
The reason is probably why people buy "classic" car replicas e.g. Morgan
The buyers can afford the prices and appreciate the fact that these items are beautifully made from natural materials.(the rods that is)
As a matter of interest, I still have my B James and Son "Richard Walker mk IV Avon" rod it cost me £10.10.6d back in 1964 I have used it all over the place including Congo river in the '70s but would not really want to use it now. I prefer my carbon fibre Diawa...........;)

john step

Reaction score
I couldn't possibly afford or even have the desire to own this type of tackle, but it takes all sorts.

I can understand it to a degree though.

Suppose you were a keen stamp collector.( Goodness knows why) and a rare stamp came up. Once you bought it what would you do with it. Just look and drool over it I guess. It has no other function other than artistic or investment value.

I think the same applies to this sort of tackle. Its a collector thing as opposed to a fishing thing. Old classic cars, and paintings I view the same(philistine?)

I appreciate that this stuff is made to be used and probably is used and thereby has an advantage over the the cars and paintings but I feel the main function of it is to own it and feel it and look at it. It is extremely beautiful stuff. It would not remain beautiful stuff with the kind of treatment I would give it.

Its for the well heeled to splash their cash. I suspect some of the owners may feel a little superior?

thecrow

Reaction score
Takes all sorts I suppose, some collect different types of road cones some belong to a forum about shaving :eek: some like wooden rods that are silly prices and wont perform as well as a cheap modern rod.

I have read that a wooden rod comes alive with a fish on, how can it its made of wood and dead wood come to that, imo its to do with nostalgia but if the truth were known those that were forced to use a stick for a rod would not have done if modern materials were available.

Not for me even if I could afford one, rods are for using and abusing not looking pretty good luck to those that want them but please don't tell me they are better in some instances than a modern rod.

mikench

Reaction score
I guess it comes down to individual taste just like the general antiques market

Some get their pleasure from using old tackle and others have it recreated at great expense.

I would imagine that generally speaking their decisions are less likely to be based on the performance of the gear than the pleasure they derive from using it.

There is still hope for us then Steve:rolleyes::wh

thecrow

Reaction score
As a matter of interest, I still have my B James and Son "Richard Walker mk IV Avon" rod it cost me £10.10.6d back in 1964

Just as a matter of interest your rod that cost that in 1964 would using an on line calculator which calculates what that price would be now cost £202 so where the astronomical prices that company charge come from I don't know.

mikench

Reaction score
Surely the pleasure is mutual Mr Lout!:) As someone once declared" I am not as good as I once was but I am as good once as ever I was":rolleyes:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't get it either. However, plenty don't get my endless pursuit of "the best" (or just better than I have already) float rods for niche applications. I don't care if people don't get me, and I really hope that the posh grass stem enthusiasts don't care that I don't get them. Each to their own, good luck to them. I hope what they do brings them enjoyment and contentment.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Ralph

Some folks are going to take more pleasure in the owning of something than the function of it.

For four+ years I worked in a guitar shop, selling guitars. Some were cheap ones for beginners, most were mid-priced instruments for gigging musicians, and a small number were the real top end (of our stock at least!) at prices of £2K upwards.

Something I noticed was that frequently sold the real top-end models to what we somewhat derogatorily referred to as "the grey pound".... Typically this would be an older gentleman who might have been in a band in his youth, and maybe always hankered after that American built instrument; however, times being what they were he'd have probably settled for some lesser make. And then before you know it, your dreams are in tatters because (in those timeless words of Bryan Adams) - "jimmy quit, jody got married...." and your band is no more; and you get a better job and a mortgage and kids and for a large number of years, that's where your focus is, financially and otherwise.... but then the last kid leaves home, and about the same time you finish paying that mortgage and you're also at highest point in the career ladder you'll get to... and all of a sudden it occurs to said gentleman that this object of his youthful desire, so unobtainable all those years ago is now hung up in a shop he can just wander in to and pick and choose from.

And you know what? I used to absolutely love dealing with this kind of customer. Because what I'm doing here is helping them reach the end of a very long road, an ambition, dare I say - a dream. Knowing that some beautiful instrument is going to go home with him to be treasured - as opposed to being flogged to death in sweaty clubs (like my own instruments) was really satisfying. And here's another interesting point... these guys would be the very least likely to haggle with you, because that high value the instrument has is all part of the deal, all part of them being able to walk out of the shop with a grin you only get when you bought the most expensive guitar in there.

So where does that leave us with this type of tackle? Dunno, I wouldn't have anything to do with it myself! But equally, I'd never knock someone for wanting to have something a little bit special, specially if its something you've waited for a long time.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Ralph

Some folks are going to take more pleasure in the owning of something than the function of it.

For four+ years I worked in a guitar shop, selling guitars. Some were cheap ones for beginners, most were mid-priced instruments for gigging musicians, and a small number were the real top end (of our stock at least!) at prices of £2K upwards.

Something I noticed was that frequently sold the real top-end models to what we somewhat derogatorily referred to as "the grey pound".... Typically this would be an older gentleman who might have been in a band in his youth, and maybe always hankered after that American built instrument; however, times being what they were he'd have probably settled for some lesser make. And then before you know it, your dreams are in tatters because (in those timeless words of Bryan Adams) - "jimmy quit, jody got married...." and your band is no more; and you get a better job and a mortgage and kids and for a large number of years, that's where your focus is, financially and otherwise.... but then the last kid leaves home, and about the same time you finish paying that mortgage and you're also at highest point in the career ladder you'll get to... and all of a sudden it occurs to said gentleman that this object of his youthful desire, so unobtainable all those years ago is now hung up in a shop he can just wander in to and pick and choose from.

And you know what? I used to absolutely love dealing with this kind of customer. Because what I'm doing here is helping them reach the end of a very long road, an ambition, dare I say - a dream. Knowing that some beautiful instrument is going to go home with him to be treasured - as opposed to being flogged to death in sweaty clubs (like my own instruments) was really satisfying. And here's another interesting point... these guys would be the very least likely to haggle with you, because that high value the instrument has is all part of the deal, all part of them being able to walk out of the shop with a grin you only get when you bought the most expensive guitar in there.

So where does that leave us with this type of tackle? Dunno, I wouldn't have anything to do with it myself! But equally, I'd never knock someone for wanting to have something a little bit special, specially if its something you've waited for a long time.

I understand totally what you are saying and I do get it now - I just did not know there was such a following and that someone would pay £1200 for a modern reproduction landing net!

Like you it is not for me. I suppose because I came into fishing very late in life, I don't have any nostalgic memories associated with fishing or the tackle. I do have some old tackle, but that was handed down to me so I could try it compared with today's gear. The oldest rod I own is a Woolworths ledger rod made of glass fibre!

Incidentally, I have just bought three landing net heads and I though about it at £24.99 for the three... :rolleyes:

Ralph.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ralph,

Maybe if you spent a little time handling and fishing with something like a Barder then you might understand how we derive pleasure from it?

I guess you are referring to the likes of Barder who do charge very high prices but not for "replicas" but modern versions of some excellent old rods.

Now, I have a Barden Merlin that I've owned for many years and it ias landed a lot fo very large fish. it is as straight a a die and to be honest not all that much more heavy than a similar rod from the carboniferous age ;)

One of my ambitions is to own one of Barder's fly rods as I've used one and to be honest, again, it compares very favourably with my modern Sage rods.

Last edited:

ken more

Reaction score
All for each to their own, as long as nobody gets hurt and all that stuff, but I think there is a whole lot of snobbery in Angling and other sports, Golf for example, the ones that turn up with £1000 quids worth of golf clubs and couldn't break 100 if there life depended on it, and yet look at some others like they were something that was scraped off of their shoe, especially if they don't turn up in something like a BMW X5 or something:) For me personally, if i wanted to use old tackle, i would probably be looking to catch fish on something as basic as possible but still be considered rod and line, if that makes sense:D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
They ban you if you do :eek:.

LOL . . . . well, not quite . . . .

Although a certain ex FM member from the Rotherham area managed to get himself banned on that site . . . .

There is also a FB group for 'Traditional Anglers' as well . . . . in fact you'd be surprised how many anglers actually enjoy using vintage tackle . . . .