Tip wrap around

mikench

Reaction score
What causes the above other than line being wrapped around the tip before the cast i.e. From the last catch or the wind?

Can it occur during the cast itself?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Wind, tip bounce and carelessness on an overhead cast are the usual reasons. Some rods are worse than others, probably as the unfortunate result of action, ring spacing/type and tip ring angles.

I'd suggest carelessness when overhead casting as the most avoidable. Too many anglers take a rod back over their head too vertically. Floats, leads and feeders clattering off rods being a dead giveaway. It's also the case that I see very few general coarse anglers give a final check before launching into a cast. It's something that's become very prevalent in the carp and specimen scene where attempting to launch a big lead a long way will invariably be a disaster if a wrap around occurs.

Last edited:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
from my experience its line twist...and wind to a lesser extent

and it can happen on the cast, mainly with float fishing...light lines lots of small eyes

at times I'm an expert on this subject

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
from my experience its line twist...and wind to a lesser extent

and it can happen on the cast, mainly with float fishing...light lines lots of small eyes

at times I'm an expert on this subject

I don't see how it's line twist as I have no line twist at all when using a pin and yet I still get line wrap.
I think it's gott'a be down to wind, rod action and guides and clumsiness from the user, pretty much the same as Sam said. I think wind is the biggest cause but then again some rods are just prone to it. I used a acolyte recently and then next time out a tri cast rod and there's no doubt that I got more wrap rounds on the tip with the accy rod. Looking at the guides the tri cast are on more of a forward pointing angle which may allow them to shed the line rather than catch it if you get my meaning.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I find it happens when I land a fish in a landing net leaving slack line hanging and often bouncing the rod tip while putting it down in the rest. When I'm casting a feeder or lead I always check by pulling the line by my reel to ensure the line is running freely through the top rings before I launch it.

mikench

Reaction score
I will remember to do that. I had a few last time out with my feeder rod! I thought it was because I was casting from the side; a gentle lob really as I did not need to cast out very far. The feeder went nowhere but there was no damage to the tip thankfully. I know now it was clumsiness on my part rather than technique or lack of:rolleyes:

Could too much or too little line on the spool make any difference?

Thank you for your responses:)

trotter2

Reaction score
Its mainly a combination of slack line and tip bounce.
One leads to the other a wrap over.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
when I use braid it very nearly never happens, when using mono it does.

the mono when slack at some point must curl and wrap round tip whether that's the tip bouncing or not it happens.

I've found an older, well used line tends not to do it as much.

sam vimes

Reaction score
when I use braid it very nearly never happens, when using mono it does.

the mono when slack at some point must curl and wrap round tip whether that's the tip bouncing or not it happens.

I've found an older, well used line tends not to do it as much.

I use braid for trotting, and it still happens. I've little doubt that line twist is only going to make things worse, but don't believe it's a root cause.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Just need to get in to the habit of looking every time before you launch the cast, bit like looking over your shoulder before you pull out in to the fast lane.

Also, it happens easier when you bring your rod back close to the vertical in order to get ready to cast. Swing out to the side slightly and you can easily see if there's any issue, then smoothly bring the rod in to casting position.

I'm having quite a lot of trouble getting my 10 year old lad to do this. You're best off if you can watch the tip all the way round

trotter2

Reaction score
Some rod tips are more prone it this problem than others,fine rod tips,splice tip rods and fine quiver tips all make the problems worse.

With the old spliced tip rods it was common practice to hold the line below the stick float retaining some tension avoiding tip vibration which was inevitable with a slack line. If you avoided this practice a wrap over tip often occurred.

ken more

Reaction score
Had this trouble every other cast once, when i had put new line on the reel. It then dawned on me that i had put the new line on the wrong way and it stopped after re-spooled the reel correctly:eek: At least i think this was the reason as it stopped after that:eek:mg::)

john step

Reaction score
That tip wrap round business proved the downfall of many a tip on the old popular Sigma wands. They were so delicate for the bites but an absolute s0d with wrap rounds. On a windy day you could guarantee a snap off. :mad:

amos keato

Reaction score
I was casting from the side; a gentle lob really as I did not need to cast out very far. The feeder went nowhere
An under-arm lob might have some advantages over casting from the side.

I don't think I ever cast from the side. Even with a swim with trees in the way.
I can't remember a situation where I've needed to cast from the side.
You don't need much line out for an under-arm lob. Particularly with a feeder on.