Hope it's not true.

peterjg

Reaction score
You all seem to have missed the point (no pun intended!). In lots of circumstances and conditions a normal running rig will catch more fish BUT where the bolt cum hair rig wins every time is when you are tucked up in your sleeping bag or reading a book or in the next swim having a chin wag with your mate or having a fry-up or fishing at extreme range or etc, etc .....

Philip

Reaction score
where the bolt cum hair rig wins every time is when you are tucked up in your sleeping bag or reading a book or in the next swim having a chin wag with your mate or having a fry-up or fishing at extreme range or etc, etc .....

..So enjoying yourself and having fun. Which everyone bangs on about being the whole point of fishing.

Good ole bolt rigs ! How could you tuck into a full English if you had to watch a float ? ;)

peterjg

Reaction score
Phillip, I'm not knocking it, I've spent decades doing just that!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It's amazing how often the best fish of the day comes to the tea/bird-watching/lunch break rig of a bigger hook and bait, the float set to fish the edge over-depth by about half, dropped on to the rod-top line but off to one side, tightened up to half-cock and the centre-pin's check switched on.
Screeeech! and you're in; bolt-rigging without appearing to be a cad and a bounder.

Practice pouring from a flask using your reel-hand...

Philip

Reaction score
It's amazing how often the best fish of the day comes to the tea/bird-watching/lunch break rig of a bigger hook and bait, the float set to fish the edge over-depth by about half, dropped on to the rod-top line but off to one side, tightened up to half-cock and the centre-pin's check switched on.
Screeeech! and you're in; bolt-rigging without appearing to be a cad and a bounder.

Practice pouring from a flask using your reel-hand...

Covert Carpers in disguise. Bet they stick on a boile too when no ones looking ..;):D

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'm in Brazen Barbeller mode at the moment, and have more faith in mussels than boilies, but you're basically bang-on!
Lifting out a combi-link under a float with an ancient 'pin and a cane/cane/split cane bottom rod brings some funny looks, I can tell you.
And I didn't complain when a simpler version tripped up Caspar the friendly Ghostie at 9lbs. That fish has been such a tease!

Last edited: