Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do i approch a weedy river section

I would like to fish a new stretch of river. The only problem is there is a lot of long streamer weed. Am not sure how to approach it. This section of the river very lightly fished and tidal. I have seen large Carp and Barbel along with some nice sized Chub and Perch through the water. There's no way a float would get through the weed, so am thinking along the lines of Bomb or feeder.
    Forgot to say we are not allowed to rake the weed as it's a protected breeding area for rare dragon flies.

Default Re: How do i approch a weedy river section

I'd say to look for clear patches among the weed as it moves in the current. Depending on how far away you are from the spot I'd feed it by hand, with a dropper or a catty and use as light a bomb. Maybe use braid as the mainline as it supposedly cuts through weed better than mono if you do get snarled up in it.

To be honest i can't see any clear patches. This may be why not a lot fish it. I like a challenge and going by the fish I've seen popping their heads up it could be worth it

Blog Entries

Are you allowed to fish into dark there? the fish will move out of the weed to feed when the light drops, a bit of prebait before dark can work.

If the water is shallow enough you could wade out and drop your end rig into a gap into the weed, best if its wrapped in a PVA bag to do this and keep the hook length short. Another way that works is to use a pole and cup to ship your rig out to a gap in the weeds again put the rig in a PVE bag.

Watch the weed and you will see gaps appearing in it, its possible with the right timing to drop your PVA'd rig into one, or you can use a heavy lead and short hook length in a PVA bag and just crash it through the weed.

Try to sit downstream of your rig that way you will be playing any fish out of the weed not into it.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

If it's tidal you could trott over the top of the weed when the levels allow.

Sadly no night fishing is allowed and going by the local EA water level station it's between 3 to 4 meters deep. I think the weight and bait in a PVA bag may be my best chance.

Tigger the weed tips are a few mill below the water surface

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

What do you think on bait?. Pop up or on the deck. Not sure what the ground is like. Thinking something like a cocktail maggots, corn with a pop up fake corn

maybe a really heavy prebait will get the fish to clear a patch for you? No idea if that would work, mind.

Blog Entries

Wait for , or arrive as the tide is about to turn when it becomes stationary for a short time. Bait can then be introduced in any clear spot. A good time to to plumb the depth and to find any unusual features that could be fish holding areas.

Streamer weed fishing is never easy. On one Yorkshire River we used to
    fish for the Chub etc using a heavy Grayling type float, six pound line direct
    to an 8 or 10 hook loaded with a big lump of bread. Other baits could be and
    was used. We would fish around two feet or so deep, cast out and let the
    float rest on the weed edge. Weed dangling, the bait would be in the moving
    stream or would go under the floating streamer weed.
    Bites from the Chub were as usual, savage. A couple of bobs and float pulled
    of the weed. It worked as we had many decent large fish.
    We also had very little, if any loss of gear.
    Last edited by floatfish; 26-07-2017 at 15:35.

Swim feeder likely to get tangled up if its that thick, just when you have a good fish on as well. On the Hamp Avon I liked to freeline a heavy bait down alongside the streamer weed but that does not sound possible but good for tangle free fishing if you can; nothing to impede the line. A link lejer with swans on, enough to get you down through the weed could be a way; at least if you get tangled with the shot you can pull them off. Other than that I would go for an arsley of appropiate weight. Both ways I would watch the rod tip, maybe a quiver to help. Baits could anything but it sounds it might be easier with something heavy-luncheon/cheese/sausage, lobbing in a few free samples and let them sink through the weed. Fish over them for a while and move about a bit if nothing happens. Without looking at it not sure but I would think along these lines. You may have to get used your tip swaying with the weed pushing the line but you get used to it after a while and bites are obvious. But stay cool, sometimes not strike too soon with these baits, wait 10-15 secs for the fish to get the bait in their mouth.
    Last edited by markg; 26-07-2017 at 16:25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast