Marsh Farm, eat your heart out.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sweden and Norway both have some very large Crucians . . . .we used to regularly catch specimens well over 3lbs at a small lake on the east side of Oslo.

it is a shame that Scandinavia is so expensive as the fishing there is excellent.

B

binka

It's a stonker alright.

I've got a couple of waters available to me where I'm likely to encounter crucians but big ones are something I've never come across, a 2+ would be good going by my standards.

There was a very shallow pool which I fished a fair few years back and that was full of 'em, most of which seemed to be around the 2 - 2 1/2lb mark but I heard they were removed for de-silting work.

flightliner

Reaction score
remendous crucian, it would be nice to think some similar sized ones resided in english waters.
This brace , both a little short of two lbs are about the best I can expect from my area.

B

binka

remendous crucian, it would be nice to think some similar sized ones resided in english waters.
This brace , both a little short of two lbs are about the best I can expect from my area.

Barring the couple of waters we know of Mick do you think we live in a bit of a Crucian desert around here?

I've noticed in the catch reports in the HDYGO thread that they seem to be far more common 'darn sarf'...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Barring the couple of waters we know of Mick do you think we live in a bit of a Crucian desert around here?

I've noticed in the catch reports in the HDYGO thread that they seem to be far more common 'darn sarf'...

I know of a couple of waters in my neck of the woods that hold some. The numbers and size of them is usually minimal though. I don't recall ever having seen a definite crucian much over a pound, let alone caught one. I doubt I'd get to my toes if I were to count up the total number of crucians I've caught in my lifetime.

flightliner

Reaction score

It would seem as you suggest Steve but I do think here in the east midlands I think there are plenty of waters that have them, numerous quite close to me locally, especially some of the commercials .
Years ago one or two gravel pits by the Trent had a few also , tidal end and non tidal.
The one I had a lot of time for back in the sixties seventies were the one between us at Clowne in north east Derbyshire ( Harlesthorpe dam) that was inundated with them, all small but hey, terrific at it's worst.
All said however a big one "up here" is a very rare beast sadly.:)

B

binka

The one I had a lot of time for back in the sixties seventies were the one between us at Clowne in north east Derbyshire ( Harlesthorpe dam) that was inundated with them, all small but hey, terrific at it's worst.

I used to fish there many years ago Mick, a pretty looking water and every time the name crops up I keep meaning to give it another try but then forget about it again.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've had a couple over 2lb from local farm/woodland ponds in the couple of years since I moved to Northants - not quite up to the ones from where I used to live further south............
crue_3.15.jpg

B

binka

I've had a couple over 2lb from local farm/woodland ponds in the couple of years since I moved to Northants - not quite up to the ones from where I used to live further south............
crue_3.15.jpg

That's a belter Jerry and looks to be in nice condition too, it looks way over 2lb to me.

Either that or you need to stick the hands back on your Action Man :eek: ;) :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Few and far between in my area, and even making some effort to locate possible spots has proved unsuccessful. Yes, fish to 2lbs or so with maybe the very odd one at three, but on a regular basis, no way! On one water I could catch a couple up to 2lbs with hopes of more to come, but then go half a dozen trips fishing the same swims etc. without so much a bite.
I would love to target them for a year or two, but...............well, life is just to short.

ps Very pretty fish, Jerry..

barbelboi

Reaction score
hat's a belter Jerry and looks to be in nice condition too, it looks way over 2lb to me.

3.15 from down south where I used to live Steve - anyway, off to the village pub with family and friends for some dinner and lubricant........:w

dicky123

Reaction score
Sweden.

Does anyone remember the John Wilson video of him fishing in a lake in the centre of Stockholm I believe? Someone actually swam through his swim on the video, great fun. Some nice fish on the lift method too.