New chair, please help!

tomino2112

Reaction score
I am in for a new chair. I never had "proper" fishing chair, always used those foldable camping chairs but broke too many of them and want to get something more solid, something that can last.

I am in between these (ordered by preference):

Madfish Instinct Carp Chair
JRC Contact Chair With Arms
JRC Contact Chair With Arms 2016 Model

Do you have any tips/opinions? First one is almost 2kg lighter than the other two, which is important for me, but doesnt have arm rests (I dont know if that would matter to me)

Are chairs like these actually necessary? any other options? I am NOT a carp junkie, I do go carping from time to time, but usually am in for other species, definitely not going after big fish. But I do go fishing for long days whenever I can (early morning til late evening) so want something comfortable to sit on.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
In my opinion a fishing chair should have 4 adjustable legs with mud feet, not be too heavy and should not have arms, they just get in the way. I have recently bought a new chair from Angling Direct which seems to be ok, it is there 'own make' and cost £40.

tomino2112

Reaction score
In my opinion a fishing chair should have 4 adjustable legs with mud feet, not be too heavy and should not have arms, they just get in the way. I have recently bought a new chair from Angling Direct which seems to be ok, it is there 'own make' and cost £40.

Link for madfish chair got messed up, i have updated it now. That chair seems to fit what you described, can you have a look at it. 40 pounds is more than i wanted to pay

peterjg

Reaction score
Tomino, you need to able able to actually sit on a chair to see if it ok, good luck.

rich66

Reaction score
Check the seat pad itself make sure it doesn't have a front bar. It won't be comfortable for long hours sitting if it has.
Personally I think arms would be in the way and adjustable feet are a must.

tomino2112

Reaction score
If you can't get to see any chairs the madfish looks ok

None of those in my local tackle shop im afraid, and all they have is 50 pounds +. I am thinking to order the madfish and if no good return it.

Check the seat pad itself make sure it doesn't have a front bar. It won't be comfortable for long hours sitting if it has.
Personally I think arms would be in the way and adjustable feet are a must.

I cannot find any information about the madfish having adjustable feet, it days something about that mudfeet auto-adjust (?) but no more info

mikench

Reaction score
All of the above ! You get what you pay for in terms of robust build for all kinds of terrain. If you will always have to carry it a distance then weight is an important factor. My view from my limited experience and preferences is that you need potentially two ! One that is comfortable, strong and adaptable for a full day( read adjustable legs, mud feet, capable of taking attachments etc) and another lighter one for shorter sessions, roving and awkward river and lake banks.

I have yet to get the very light one but have a Korum accessory chair( brilliant but not light) and a brand new Kodex Robo chair with all the bits. Earlier posts explain what happened to the original which was replaced free of charge !

The former is 6 kilos and the latter is 4.8. Most chairs are between these two but some are much lighter. The JRC Stealth is good and comes in at around 3 kilos. Another I like is the Trakker RLX Nano ( I think) at 2.6 kilos. I think the latter may be on Santa's list or the Korum extra lite as both will fit on my ruckbag.

A spare chair will always be useful!;)

tomino2112

Reaction score
Re ^^^

I understand what you saying but definitely dont need two chairs. I dont see the need for attachments either dont really mind to stand up. Actually I tend to stand a lot as I do lot of float fishing and jig fishing so am on my feet often, just looking for something light that I can take my load off in breaks or when doing some (light) carping.

I tend to go for long sessions to commercials so rough terrain is not huge concern as most of them have comfy pegs. For rough terrain around rivers and such I pretty much never sit down (usually much shorter sessions) and if I do so I sit on the ground, def would not drag chair with me.

As I said I am used to sitting on camping chairs which get quite uncomfortable after whole day, so I am pretty sure any proper chair will be like sitting on a cloud for me.

Those chairs you mentioned around 3kg sound very interesting though, need to google them asap when im at the pc. Hearing the brands though i am afraid they will be out of my price range

mikench

Reaction score
We are all different and want ,need , like, varied items including fishing chairs! I have difficulty standing in one place for very long but no problem if I move about- age I think! What suits one person will not necessarily suit another .

£20 for a season and a half is great value! A round of drinks if you are lucky!:)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I have recently broiught a Korum utility chair , My only gripe is probably my own doing in never tightrn the leg adjuster up enough and it sags that as i say i probably my fault ..

PG ...

fishplate42

Reaction score
Morning Tomas,

From what you say, I think you are right to go for a cheap chair. The one thing I discoloured with mine was the adjustment of the legs needs to be the usual clip type of compression fitting. My cheap chair has holes and sprung pins that hold the legs in set positions. It is not easy to adjust and is a bit wobbly. The one you show with no arms would be my choice.

As for more expensive chairs, I was treated to a very nice and expensive accessory chair for my sixtieth birthday, a couple of years ago, and it is great but far too cumbersome and heavy for what you are after. The is another... problem with a..... comfy chair...zzzzzzzz.

My really cheap chair will do the job in 'emergencies' but I would like to replace it with a slightly better one, for times when I want to go light, but spend a whole day fishing and moving a couple of times.

Down on the Pool, I use a cheap rucksack stool (£15) it does the job and like you I stand most of the time, but the stool makes a great bait table! BTW the bag, It is of very poor quality, it already has a hole in it and it has only been used twice. There is a Shakespeare one that is a bit dearer, but looks far more substantial. I hope this helps.

Incidentally, I hope to get out to the Pool later today I will let you know if that 'cloud' you spotted has had any detrimental effect...

Ralph.

tomino2112

Reaction score
Morning Tomas,

From what you say, I think you are right to go for a cheap chair. The one thing I discoloured with mine was the adjustment of the legs needs to be the usual clip type of compression fitting. My cheap chair has holes and sprung pins that hold the legs in set positions. It is not easy to adjust and is a bit wobbly. The one you show with no arms would be my choice.

As for more expensive chairs, I was treated to a very nice and expensive accessory chair for my sixtieth birthday, a couple of years ago, and it is great but far too cumbersome and heavy for what you are after. The is another... problem with a..... comfy chair...zzzzzzzz.

My really cheap chair will do the job in 'emergencies' but I would like to replace it with a slightly better one, for times when I want to go light, but spend a whole day fishing and moving a couple of times.

Down on the Pool, I use a cheap rucksack stool (£15) it does the job and like you I stand most of the time, but the stool makes a great bait table! BTW the bag, It is of very poor quality, it already has a hole in it and it has only been used twice. There is a Shakespeare one that is a bit dearer, but looks far more substantial. I hope this helps.

Incidentally, I hope to get out to the Pool later today I will let you know if that 'cloud' you spotted has had any detrimental effect...

Ralph.

Hi Ralph thanks for the info! Yes please do let me know, unfortunately I haven't had chance to go over there this week crazy busy, but will go check it out tomorrow

tomino2112

Reaction score
If i was to buy this, could someone recommend a decent rod rest to buy that would attach to it?

Sorry for taking over your thread tomino!

Not a problem, will be happy to know as well (even though I dont really do attachments)

mikench

Reaction score
If i was to buy this, could someone recommend a decent rod rest to buy that would attach to it?

Sorry for taking over your thread tomino!

If they will fit that chair the Korum anychair adapter is a start. The telescopic rod rest is good but an ordinary bank stick could fit with an adjustable head on the end!