Anti Angling

steve2

Reaction score
How many of us support anti angling organisations but not the Angling Trust. By anti angling I mean the RSPB, RSPCA, National Trust, local nature groups etc.
Should we support and give money to them while not supporting the AT?
What are your feelings and why do we do it?
I am not a member of the AT but am a member of the National Trust. The only reason I joined the National Trust was to save money on visits.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I've never seen or heard any anti angling stuff from any of the organisations you refer to?

Can you give us any examples?

chrissh

Reaction score
Don’t think the National Trust is anti-fishing … I have fished a few lakes that are on or run by National Trust my nearest is Clumber Park … if you google National Trust fishing there’s a list of places run by them?

B

binka

I've never seen anything that directly states the National Mistrust are anti-angling but I often feel that they just 'tolerate' it for the money it brings in.

It doesn't help when they net waters and sell the fish whilst still taking the money for tickets but that's them all over imo.

For me they worship one God who's name starts with ker and ends with ching :rolleyes:

thecrow

Reaction score
Nope and never will be a member of any of them, all have agendas that don't include welcoming anglers, most have become corporate monsters that exist to feed the many heads they have.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Been turfed off national trust land land once, It was way out back and beyond of some castle they had but they took their time, I had been fishing it for about 10 years. I carried on fishing it for about another 5 years. I assumed it was just their policy for that particular stretch.
Only RSPCA thing I know is their leaflet about fishing and it was all reasonable stuff about lines etc and being careful; they did not state they were anti.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that the RSPB are covertly anti-angling and have closed several of their locations to fishing in the past.

A while back I contacted close to 50 organisations to solicit their support against the abolition of the close season and I was very much encouraged that the vast majority of them were pro-angling and offered support.

The exercise brought home to me the fact that while we anglers might be the largest group of river and canal users we are most definitely not the only ones who need the river environment in pursuit of the goals.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I buy a fishing licence so I reckon that's what you mean by support.
I don't do anything with the other organisations mentioned, that's nothing to do with anti angling because I don't see them as such.
In fact I have never come across any one who could be classed as anti angling. I have the idea that the Angling Trust are adding coals to the fire saying they are our line of defence.
If there are "the antis" where are they.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of any of the mentioned organizations. Their original aims and intentions may have been laudable, and they may well retain good intentions, but money and power invariably seems to corrupt them in some way. None of them get my money. I simply haven't got enough to throw their way whether I like them or not.

I tend to think that none of them are especially anti-angling, with the possible exception of elements of the RSPCA and some small local groups populated by zealots. However, like large parts of the general population, I suspect that there's a low level principle of being anti-angling. I'm not talking about a anti-angling sentiment that would actually involve actually doing anything, simply an underlying "I'd be happy if angling ceased" kind of thing. It's much like my own anti-religion stance. I'll be happy to see the end of all religions. However, you won't find me doing anything whatsoever to bring that about.

However, I firmly believe that there are plenty of landowners that are utter hypocrites where angling is concerned. I've encountered more than one or two that aren't fans of angling, for all sorts of reasons. However, they are happy enough with the money it brings them. The problem is that when the financial benefits are outweighed by other factors, angling will be history on their land. That's one of angling's biggest problems, when old historical angling venues change hands and end up being controlled by owners that aren't as amenable to angling. That can simply be by the progression of local council members, a parent passing away and a son/daughter taking over, or a total change of ownership.

dicky123

Reaction score
Guy's

What would any of you think generally of a big rise in the fishing licence, if we could get better support, and most of the extra money went to support angling and its future?
To protect our future it's not the old farts like me, but the young who should have easy access to the hobby. Maybe schools could help and local angling clubs having a visit to schools, to see if any kids would like a days fishing in the school holidays. I know all the red tape, but apart from carp puddle fishing, our sport seems in decline.

Kids love being outside, camping and eating out. I give a fair amount of my old tackle to my local club in a thought it might help. But I don't think it always goes to the kids.:wh

****y.

sam vimes

Reaction score
What would any of you think generally of a big rise in the fishing licence, if we could get better support, and most of the extra money went to support angling and its future?

No thanks, not when it goes to the EA. If the part of the organization was separate from the rest, maybe.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm not one for supporting any big organisation with money - too much money gets diverted from the causes. I think it's better to give non money item such as dog or cat food so you know 100% is going to the cause.

As for bird protection, well I spend my money on feeding the wild birds in my garden so I feel I do my bit

nottskev

Reaction score
I buy a fishing licence so I reckon that's what you mean by support.

If there are "the antis" where are they.

That prompted me to google the issue, and it's good to see the internet is not awash with anti-angling sentiment, though there is material.

The most interesting thing I found was this scholarly article about how changing public attitudes to fish and recreational fishing may lead to further constraints. It's dry - but the weather outside certainly isn't, so somebody might welcome a longish read. Scroll down the page to find the article.

https://www.agrar.hu-berlin.de/de/i...publ_html/arlinghaus-et-al.-2012-anti-angling

rayner

Reaction score
Unless you give a run down I'll never see it. I refuse to open any links.
To be fair unless there are local to me stories I really couldn't care less. If they are around they are very quiet. Just shows how toothless they are.

---------- Post added at 05:34 ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 ----------

Guy's

To protect our future it's not the old farts like me, but the young who should have easy access to the hobby. Maybe schools could help and local angling clubs having a visit to schools, to see if any kids would like a days fishing in the school holidays. I know all the red tape, but apart from carp puddle fishing, our sport seems in decline.

Kids love being outside, camping and eating out. I give a fair amount of my old tackle to my local club in a thought it might help. But I don't think it always goes to the kids.:wh

****y.

Not on your nelly, it goes right through me paying for a licence as it is and I get a concession.

thecrow

Reaction score
It says something about having a national campaign for Vegan and Vegetarian foods in schools etc.

Ah, I thought the greens wanted to reduce green house gasses? that's likely to increase them :D

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

What would any of you think generally of a big rise in the fishing licence, if we could get better support, and most of the extra money went to support angling and its future

More chance of my hair growing back :)

Those that claim to represent anglers are all self appointed and in the pocket of the EA, we have just suffered a rise in the licence fee brought about by the collusion between the truss and the EA, have we got more bang for our buck? not as far as I can see in fact single rod anglers have lost out.

I would pay more if there was one organisation representing angling that wasn't connected to any government and all the licence fee went to them, but and for me its a big but those representing anglers would have to be voted into their positions by anglers 1 angler 1 vote and none of the old boys network that exists now. they would have to perform then instead of just releasing PR shots.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
And that's why Alan Edwards and the Anglers Cooperative Association were so indispensable. And then they got dispensed. They did more than the EA ever have done and with only voluntary funding.