Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti Angling

Default Anti Angling

How many of us support anti angling organisations but not the Angling Trust. By anti angling I mean the RSPB, RSPCA, National Trust, local nature groups etc.
    Should we support and give money to them while not supporting the AT?
    What are your feelings and why do we do it?
    I am not a member of the AT but am a member of the National Trust. The only reason I joined the National Trust was to save money on visits.

Default Re: Anti Angling

I've never seen or heard any anti angling stuff from any of the organisations you refer to?

Can you give us any examples?

Don’t think the National Trust is anti-fishing … I have fished a few lakes that are on or run by National Trust my nearest is Clumber Park … if you google National Trust fishing there’s a list of places run by them?
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

binka Guest

I've never seen anything that directly states the National Mistrust are anti-angling but I often feel that they just 'tolerate' it for the money it brings in.

It doesn't help when they net waters and sell the fish whilst still taking the money for tickets but that's them all over imo.

For me they worship one God who's name starts with ker and ends with ching

Blog Entries

Nope and never will be a member of any of them, all have agendas that don't include welcoming anglers, most have become corporate monsters that exist to feed the many heads they have.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Been turfed off national trust land land once, It was way out back and beyond of some castle they had but they took their time, I had been fishing it for about 10 years. I carried on fishing it for about another 5 years. I assumed it was just their policy for that particular stretch.
    Only RSPCA thing I know is their leaflet about fishing and it was all reasonable stuff about lines etc and being careful; they did not state they were anti.

Blog Entries

I think that the RSPB are covertly anti-angling and have closed several of their locations to fishing in the past.

A while back I contacted close to 50 organisations to solicit their support against the abolition of the close season and I was very much encouraged that the vast majority of them were pro-angling and offered support.

The exercise brought home to me the fact that while we anglers might be the largest group of river and canal users we are most definitely not the only ones who need the river environment in pursuit of the goals.
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 28-07-2017 at 09:54.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I'd like to support the Green party, but for their article 412 I would.

Blog Entries

I buy a fishing licence so I reckon that's what you mean by support.
    I don't do anything with the other organisations mentioned, that's nothing to do with anti angling because I don't see them as such.
    In fact I have never come across any one who could be classed as anti angling. I have the idea that the Angling Trust are adding coals to the fire saying they are our line of defence.
    If there are "the antis" where are they.

I'm not a big fan of any of the mentioned organizations. Their original aims and intentions may have been laudable, and they may well retain good intentions, but money and power invariably seems to corrupt them in some way. None of them get my money. I simply haven't got enough to throw their way whether I like them or not.

I tend to think that none of them are especially anti-angling, with the possible exception of elements of the RSPCA and some small local groups populated by zealots. However, like large parts of the general population, I suspect that there's a low level principle of being anti-angling. I'm not talking about a anti-angling sentiment that would actually involve actually doing anything, simply an underlying "I'd be happy if angling ceased" kind of thing. It's much like my own anti-religion stance. I'll be happy to see the end of all religions. However, you won't find me doing anything whatsoever to bring that about.

However, I firmly believe that there are plenty of landowners that are utter hypocrites where angling is concerned. I've encountered more than one or two that aren't fans of angling, for all sorts of reasons. However, they are happy enough with the money it brings them. The problem is that when the financial benefits are outweighed by other factors, angling will be history on their land. That's one of angling's biggest problems, when old historical angling venues change hands and end up being controlled by owners that aren't as amenable to angling. That can simply be by the progression of local council members, a parent passing away and a son/daughter taking over, or a total change of ownership.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast