Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's your favourite type of venue.

I suppose that would depend on, if the water contained various species or a particular one.

Personally I prefer a water that has some movement. Although I have fished the Trent with some success, it's the smaller intimate water's that hold my attention and fire me up.

In particular the drains of Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire, and the smaller rivers of Yorkshire. These have remained a constant source of fascination for me since I first picked up a rod.

No doubt this was largely influenced for many years by my choice of species. Summer time was spent chasing Barbel and Chub, winter time was almost exclusively Pike with the odd sorties after Zander.

Nowadays I seem to get the biggest buzz from catching larger fish from the smaller venues. It may seem strange to other anglers, but it fascinates me.

Is there anyone else out there who's an oddball like me?

Default Re: What's your favourite type of venue.

I'm a fan of small rivers, still aiming for a 3lb chub from the Salwarpe and hoping that there's some bigger ones lurking in unexplored stretches. The Arrow owes me a barbell and I've still got ambitions of a 2lb grayling from the Itchen. There are some small pools in Wales which hold a few tench, carp and some potentially large roach, a proportion of my holidays will be spent in search of these. In general somewhere where I can fish in relative solitude in natural surroundings.

Another good thread Derek
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

Big stillwaters, or little stillwaters. Big rivers, tiny rivers and becks. It's all the same to me. The only things I can't count as favourites are canals and drains. However, that's only a question of familiarity. Though I have experienced both, they aren't exactly common in my particular corner of the country.

Blog Entries

All venues have their associated charm but for me it has to be a flowing river, although, it is a close battle to an intimate stillwater on a traditional tench fisher's dawn . . . now, that, takes some beating but sadly not so often encountered.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

My favourite wasn't one water, but a place, Northwich in Cheshire. First, there was the Weaver, with wide, deep canalised sections, weirs, backwaters and boatyards . It had every species, offered the chance to fish any and all methods, and fished all through the season.

Then, in the centre of town was the confluence with the Dane, a serpentine, canal - sized river full of roach, dace, chub and barbel, winding through trees and shrubbery.

Access was brilliant and you could always pick something to suit your mood and the conditions. I used to pack the car, drive to Northwich, 25 minutes or so, check out the prospects from a couple of bridges and only then decide what, where and how. The mix of natural and man-made made every section interesting and featureful.

Now, sitting on the side of the Trent in the endless downstream wind feels like sitting on the hard shoulder of the motorway! And I'm more for the A roads and the B roads. I'm sure I should be more grateful, and I try to like it..........
    Last edited by nottskev; 29-07-2017 at 10:24.

Blog Entries

I used to enjoy the Tidal Trent and Dam Flask. Never considered them favourites but the time I spent on both venues they must have been.
    Where I fish at the moment is nowhere near a favourite but it's there or stay at home.
    It's a well stocked fishery, a commercial which I never would have fished without health issues. My catches are better than I had when fit but I really miss the fishing I used do.

Blog Entries

It would be a small (ish) lowland river with a slow to modest flow and some three to four feet of depth.
    Roach the quarry, and preferably laying on with a foot or more of extra depth.
    casting off the rod end and letting the rig swing round in the currant until it settles in the "uggin" where the fish often hold position.
    One number eight or six on the deck which will often show a tiny lift of the float before sailing away.
    Pure angling magic!.

My favourite type of water is where there is mystery, where not all of the fish are known, named and catalogued. Where there is peace and quiet. Believe it or not such places still exist! One stretch of river I fish there are no boats, no passers by, in fact it is very rare to see anyone at all, lovely.

I like the big wide rivers in that no matter how often you fish them, you never get to know them entirely, always more likely to surprise. Small streams are a delight but you can get to a point where little mystery is left. Same with small lakes/big lakes, I like a big water, river over lake, more to explore and anticipate and a bit more of a challenge. I would gladly go and live on the Thames in a boat and spend the rest of my life fishing it---with a decent rod of course
    Wouldn't happen now but if I had to choose one way to do it, that would appeal to me the most probably.
    Last edited by markg; 29-07-2017 at 14:17.

I go for the small rivers of West Sussex. Even though small they have produced Barbel to 18lb and large Chub, specimen Dace and Roach. On one of our club waters, the only disturbance you get is from the Cows that will sit or lay close to you. The main thing i like about these waters are the nature, all sorts of birds including Peregrine Falcons, Swifts, an albino Owl that is very friendly as long as you have worms to feed it, Deers and of course the greenery.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast