Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Should Clubs Amalgamate?

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Angling Trust Membership Rates
    As I said, the costs do come down as you gain more members. The snag is when you only just roll over one of the cut off points, especially for a small club with tight cash flow. One extra member could, in theory, end up costing the club far more than the price of his/her membership.
    Looking at the Angling Trust link 10 clubs could save £2482. When you start to add up, for example one hosting fee as opposed to 10, £1000-£2000 possibly, bulk buying, bulk printing etc, there must be savings, plenty for an accountant to get into.
    And do you know who gets paid for what in a small club or do the treasurers, secratarys, committees etc do it for free? And do they have offices in spare bedrooms or do they rent own offices for example.
    I am just curious as to how much a small club costs to run.
    Last edited by markg; 07-08-2017 at 06:23.

What cripples clubs is dwindling members due to lack of interest from a younger anglers.
    We have an ageing population of anglers which unfortunately either die or find themselves unable to fish any more due to health reasons. It's happening .
    All clubs are finding this situation increasingly hard its unavoidable in this day and age
    Only clubs which own there own water probably purchased when times were better for angling are finding it not difficult to balance the books for the moment at least.
    Clubs in time which own there own water will find themselves with assets in the form of water owned by the club which is worth nothing.
    The club's will either cease to exist or have too amalgamate with other clubs which own there own water.
    This will do three things lessen the burden of mantainece and finances.
    And condense a limited membership to one club.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Looking at the Angling Trust link 10 clubs could save £2482. When you start to add up, for example one hosting fee as opposed to 10, £1000-£2000 possibly, bulk buying, bulk printing etc, there must be savings, plenty for an accountant to get into.
    And do you know who gets paid for what in a small club or do the treasurers, secratarys, committees etc do it for free? And do they have offices in spare bedrooms or do they rent own offices for example.
    I am just curious as to how much a small club costs to run.
    I have said already that the vast majority of clubs are run by those that step up for love, not money. My experience is that no one is getting paid in the vast majority of clubs. The vast majority don't have offices or club houses. Most clubs aren't even running to giving out free tickets, to any type of member, any longer. Administration cost are generally in the order of hundreds of pounds. When most market value rents are in the order of thousands of pounds, administrative costs are generally neither here nor there. Yes, a club amalgamation could make some small savings, but it wouldn't actually be enough to justify an amalgamation in most instances. If there is a big enough distance between the clubs amalgamating, an awful lot of the officers of the individual clubs would no longer be prepared to stand. Going to a regular meeting in Littletown might be acceptable, traveling to Nearbytown is very likely to not be acceptable to most of them.

All I can suggest is that you join the committee of your local club. They'll likely snap your hands off for any offer of assistance (if you know your way around a website build or can use MS Office, they are likely to be rather keen). Knock yourself out and join two or three. From there you'll probably get to see some reasons why they haven't amalgamated. If you don't see any good reasons, then perhaps you can suggest that they do it. You are probably going to have to be prepared to do a lot of the donkey work yourself though.

It may suit you, and even me, if a load of local clubs amalgamate. However, an individual club committee is duty bound to do its best for the majority of its membership. The bottom line is that most amalgamations, that are likely to be beneficial to the majority, will have already happened. Bottom line financial considerations are only part of the equation. Personally, I'd be over the moon with a good excuse to no longer be involved in a club committee. Like many others, I've no real idea how it came to be. However, I'd rather be involved for another fifty years than sell the club down the river because it suits me.

I don't know of any club committee member who get paid its a joke even suggesting they do really

Join your club committee and find out what its all about before making such suggestions plz.
    What you will find is a lot guys with good intentions working for the club and your benefits for nothing.
    Which is rare in this day and age.

Blog Entries

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Regarding the best waters getting over crowded, does that not happen anyway with individual clubs
    They may get fished more than other waters that a club has but if it is open to the members of another 5 clubs there would be more anglers able to fish them.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    I don't know of any club committee member who get paid its a joke even suggesting they do really
    Birmingham Anglers Association ?
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post

Birmingham Anglers Association ?
    I know of two more but I'm not saying which

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The bad one View Post
    I know of two more but I'm not saying which
    That's 4 then because I know of another that I cant mention
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post

Join your club committee and find out what its all about before making such suggestions plz.
    What you will find is a lot guys with good intentions working for the club and your benefits for nothing.
    Which is rare in this day and age.
    Sorry if it looked like I was taken the piz, I really just didn't know and thought I would ask. Joining a club is an option but for long winded reasons its not an option for me, and just to find out how one is run and how their finances are spread which I probably wouldn't find out anyway makes it a bit futile and costly. I think I have a fairly good basic idea how their finances work out and how they are run but not all the detail so thought I would ask. I am trying to see if an affiliation of small clubs would be financially viable for them hence the questions; so I can weigh up the savings against the extra costs. Some are an unknown, some can be calculated to some extent.
    If I took it on it would be different, I have talented people at my disposal who would look at it in finer detail but of course this is just an exploring throw it out there and see what comes back thread; just to see if there is any potential in an idea. No harm is meant or taking the piz intended.
    Last edited by markg; 08-08-2017 at 08:31.

A number of clubs in my area already have water sharing on some of their waters at no additional cost. With membership in small clubs falling the only way forward might well be more water sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    A number of clubs in my area already have water sharing on some of their waters at no additional cost. With membership in small clubs falling the only way forward might well be more water sharing.
    Funnily enough I checked out my two local clubs today, online and in the tackle shop. They seem to have both dropped their joining fees which used to be about £50 last time I looked + the annual fee which I think was about £50 as well making £100 but now charging a straight £65 a year. I wonder if that's because of diminishing membership.
    I never fancied either of them for various reasons but one now has an agreement with a club further afield which includes a few miles of river. Therefore this one would be the more attractive to me and I imagine others also. However, river angling is not the top of most fresh anglers agenda these days so maybe not. Whichever, I still think the more choice on offer for your money would be a better sell.
    Last edited by markg; 08-08-2017 at 16:03.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast