Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Should Clubs Amalgamate?

If clubs amalgamated for each county, we paid one subscription for that one club, gave us access to all the available waters in said county. Would we be better served? Would clubs be better able to manage their accounts and resources? They could share the pot, share and organize work parties, more people available and directed to where needs most. Less administration costs. A bit more financial clout to buy up waters maybe. One sign! Easier to maintain. Less complicated for anglers and more access to water. There would have to be a tier system to accommodate the salmon and trout clubs. A weekly or monthly membership available for when you traveled on holidays.

It’s all a bit of a maze,. It’s never easy to find out boundaries for example, signs are often missing or washed out.
    Make a nice looking website, The Sussex Angling Club, a list of all the waters and directions-boundaries, Fees-X for a year-Y for a month-Z for a week-B for a day. All done on line in a minute. Trying to find all these clubs/websites, who are they, where are they, what are they called, which waters; could all be on one website because its one club, how much easier is that. Would more people sign up? Would it help the new anglers?

Lots of little clubs all small groups of people trying to protect and maintain their little bits of fishing; or not little, either way, competing with each other, trying to outdo each other for membership--does it serve us or them well? Would it be a better situation in general?
    It would be a shame to lose the old established clubs, quaint and nice but would it be progress?
    Just putting out there...
    Last edited by markg; 04-08-2017 at 08:57.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should Clubs Amalgamate?

Would be good for those of us that cannot afford to join expensive clubs when there is those waters are a fair way off but not out of travelling distance, how the members of that club would feel about it is another matter.

I see some problems that could arise not least where anglers have paid a joining fee to a club that can in some cases be more than the annual fees, I know of 2 such clubs in different counties with another coming very close all are in different counties.

Then there are the clubs whose waters are located in 2 or more counties, I cant see these clubs just giving their waters up and that's if they are only rented if they own them as some clubs do it becomes even harder.

A good idea that imo would be impossible to achieve.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Yes I think it would be a good thing.
    In time this is most probably going to happen anyways.
    It would share the costs,making fishing more affordable and all waters would be assessable.

Blog Entries

What would happen to all the money that rich clubs have in the bank? would they be expected to just throw that into the pot?
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

That's a good point crow.
    Maybe divided back to members with more than 10yrs service ?.

I was once involved in a water sharing agreement between two clubs that lasted 20 years. It was hard to reconcile how each club should share costs and we found that the overall take of the two clubs was reduced. Reluctantly we ended the agreement and each club has continued to thrive with a better income. Another amalgamation that I was aware off in the Bristol area eventually subsumed some very big clubs that lost their identity completely in time.

Nice in theory, not necessarily so easy in practice. Many clubs have things written into their constitutions to prevent amalgamations. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, such caveats may now appear shortsighted, but they do exist. Many have water(s) gifted, or leased in perpetuity for a token amount, on the understanding that only people resident within certain limits, or members of a club in a stated form, can fish there. Many clubs will lose those waters should they amalgamate with another club. Often such waters will be lost to angling completely if the incumbent club ceases to exist in its original form.

Angling clubs are always looking for ways to keep their heads above water, at least retain what they have and provide fishing for as little as possible. Most have constitutions that make such terms inviolate. It's a rare case when angling clubs are rolling in money and the vast bulk of folks involved in managing them do it for love, not money. There's a fair chance that if a club costs £X and another costs £Y, if they amalgamate (and retain all their waters) the price for them will be £X+Y. They'll still have the same rents to cover. Unless they can significantly improve their combined membership numbers, they'll cost what they cost before combined. Most angling clubs have pretty good relationships with neighbouring clubs. There are all sorts of agreements in place, from shared waters to exchange tickets. My own club shares a water that is actually owned by another angling club. It also does exchange tickets with clubs right through the North East (not that they actually get used much).

The bottom line is that I believe that the idea of a county wide superclub being cheaper than buying tickets for lots of individual clubs isn't necessarily the reality. It could also see the loss of many a water to angling. You'd have to be pretty well heeled to afford to join such a superclub. There would also be plenty of anglers that would object to paying out for distant waters that they had no intention of fishing.

Rail against capitalism if you must, but it's worth noting that most angling clubs are a long way from capitalist ventures. They are about as co-operative as things get. However, they are surviving in a capitalist society where people generally want the going rate in rents for their property. These rents don't miraculously reduce just because we'd like them to.
    Last edited by sam vimes; 04-08-2017 at 10:29.

In essence, it probably has legs, although as MW says it can have drawbacks financially. Any such move will never suit everyone and some winners and losers are bound to appear.
    I suppose if the clubs were of equal size it would possibly make things easier to generally please everyone (as far as possible) but if one of the clubs had a really top water with limited access, the members of that club would not be happy...

I wonder what it would take to trigger such a move?

From my point of view I tend toward small is beautiful, but I can see it might well benefit those who don't have a lot of dosh to spare, but would such an amalgamation necessarily mean cheaper fees?

Interesting thread markg, although with your last few threads I'm beginning to wonder if you don't have bit of the rebel in you.....................................Hohoho

os Sam Vimes posted at the same time as I, and what he says pretty much covers it from most points of view IMO

All the comments about County-wide amalgamations ignore such stupid things as local-governmental reorganisations - take large clubs like Warrington for example - Although Warrington is in Cheshire currently - it was historically in Lancashire - and is halfway between the 'counties' of Gtr Manchester and Merseyside. Warrington Anglers have extensive waters in all these geographic regions as well as N. Wales! - which county should they consider themselves in for amalgamation purposes? - what would be the status of sharing waters outwith their county? - blood has been shed for less important disputes than this!

Blog Entries

Amalgamation of clubs can work in certain circumstances but probably only where the clubs are of equal size and in relatively close proximity to each other.

Where some much larger club attempt amalgamation with much smaller ons then the "merger" becomes a take over with all the frailties that have been mentioned above that go with it.

Us anglers are rather insular beings and tend to be overly loyal to the clubs that we are members of, so amalgamation is an anathema to most . . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast