Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Commercial-Club anglers type of question.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    Slightly off subject so I apologise in advance but the few commercials that I have fished have been horrible. Yes, clean banks, easy parking but the 'fishing' was laughably easy. 'Anglers' wait outside for the gates to open and stop in time for the gates to be locked then they sit around this muddy hole in the ground and spend all day facing each other! They were so grossly overstocked that it would take more skill not to catch - angling is not meant to be like that!

Those that have never fished other than commercials ought to try proper fishing, where you don't get a bite except from signal crayfish, you have to walk literally miles to a swim, there are no toilets, up to your eyeballs in nettles and cowpats and bulls, wasp nests, otters, mink, no safe parking, no flat swims just a slippery hill next to the water, boaters, canoeists, stray lunatics - now tell me where would you rather fish? You can't beat a club water.

Seriously though, the few commercials that I have fished have been awful!
    The first part just about sums it up for me also,commercials just aren't for me.
    Maybe because I've been fishing since the early 60's and brought up in a different way,I had a season back in the late 90's on a local comm. and got bored with catching carp so easily.I just went and caught,and that was it.And I'm not the greatest of anglers and I definitely don't have the ability that the commercial match men have,I do appreciate the level of skill required to be successful in those situations.
    Fishing is great like that,so many different aspects to it,each to there own as they say.Im in my 60's and like to walk miles of my local small river "attempting"
    to catch the odd chub and barbel,I do often think how much longer will I be able to cover so much river,it seems to get harder by the week😄,but I'm sure I won't end up on a commercial.
    I do look back on my match fishing days of the 70's and 80's thinking how hard it was to scrape a couple of pound of "bits" on a hard day,compared to today's matches where if you catch 50lb it's hardly worth weighing in😄.
    Commercials,great for those that like that sort of thing,and my angling club caters for all luckily.

Quite an evocative thread this one. Whilst my personal preference is for rivers and silver fish, with the possible exception of a swimming pool and a hole in the ice, I must have fished every type of venue it is possible to fish. I have never had any reservations, inhibitions or hang ups with this. My philosophy being: You deal with what's in front of you and adjust your approach accordingly. That's not to say I don't have my favorite venues, I do. But the bottom line for me is, that I am fishing, and that takes preference over everything else (well apart form ale and fornication). Pete.

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------
    Casternets

When ever this type of thread comes up its always the commercials are ugly, unnatural, mud holes in the ground, full of pigs, fish are dead easy to catch--sort of thing; or at least that seems to be the majority view but hold on:-.
    I explored many commercials in a 5 year period once, maybe 20 or 30, and this type of description rarely fitted the bill. The vast majority where beautiful places to sit, well designed to make you feel you were in a very natural place, where I struggled to catch on many occasions and often had to do some serious thinking on how I fished; in fact I had to develop many different styles of fishing and baits thereof. It was some of the most challenging fishing I ever had the pleasure to take on. Many had different species, species only type of lakes, not just carp or just good mixed fisheries and the fauna and flora was often exceptional; the prices were always good and exceptional value for what was in front and all around me.
    I discovered a fabulous wide variety of species and types of fishing including some bits of river where they existed on one or two of them.
    In fact this was one of the happiest, the most interesting and rewarding periods of my entire fishing life.
    One or two would have been top contenders to fish for the rest of my life if I had to make that choice.
    Last edited by markg; 06-08-2017 at 08:20.

Blog Entries

I have to agree Mark and its that type of place I have been looking for, found some that fit the bill but don't do season membership and I don't want to keep paying daytickets I just want to go when I want to be that all day or just a few hours DTs could work out expensive. I have also found some that do season membership but I don't like the looks of them, I am sure I will find what I want if I keep looking though.

I don't understand this "oh they are to easy" is angling supposed to be hard? all waters can be difficult at times and need a bit of working out, fish for the different species in there or for the larger fish in the water there are always different things to try unless the angler is a one trick pony and unwilling to learn.

In some cases (mine included) there may come a time when a commercial is the only place an angler can fish, its getting very near to that time for me with access and steep river banks being dangerous for me, I don't mind falling in but would like someone there to pull me out as I drift by so if a commercial is all I have left that's ok I am still getting out fishing.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blog Entries

I've been a season ticket holder on Mallory Park and Makin's,though dug out,there were features and in particular Makin's was one of the finest fisheries i've fished,the variety of species available,in decent sizes,made it really exciting,not knowing what was coming next,as Mark said,some of my most enjoyable times in angling and i'm afraid not always that easy either,needing a certain amount of skill(for want of a better word)to amass a catch...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I've been a season ticket holder on Mallory Park and Makin's,though dug out,there were features and in particular Makin's was one of the finest fisheries i've fished,the variety of species available,in decent sizes,made it really exciting,not knowing what was coming next,as Mark said,some of my most enjoyable times in angling and i'm afraid not always that easy either,needing a certain amount of skill(for want of a better word)to amass a catch...
    Its somewhere I have looked at Alan as its only 10 miles from where I live its a bit pricey for me at the moment but I wouldn't mind fishing the big lake while some club motorcycle racing is on, 2 for the price of 1 for me
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    I have to agree Mark and its that type of place I have been looking for, found some that fit the bill but don't do season membership and I don't want to keep paying daytickets I just want to go when I want to be that all day or just a few hours DTs could work out expensive. I have also found some that do season membership but I don't like the looks of them, I am sure I will find what I want if I keep looking though.

I don't understand this "oh they are to easy" is angling supposed to be hard? all waters can be difficult at times and need a bit of working out, fish for the different species in there or for the larger fish in the water there are always different things to try unless the angler is a one trick pony and unwilling to learn.

In some cases (mine included) there may come a time when a commercial is the only place an angler can fish, its getting very near to that time for me with access and steep river banks being dangerous for me, I don't mind falling in but would like someone there to pull me out as I drift by so if a commercial is all I have left that's ok I am still getting out fishing.
    Here in the South East I was spoiled for choice and I did find some fabulous places, I don't know your area at all, I know your a lot further up north so it may be different up there. I would suggest trying out a few on the day ticket just to see if you come across one you really like, nothing beats actually fishing them than just from websites or recommendations. And they might be a choice just to fish now and then apart from a regular one where you may find the fee set up better but the fishing not so good. Its certainly worth having a look at a few properly in my opinion, I came across a few real gems. One or two involved traveling but me and some mates organized visits as much as we could.
    Certainly health is a question, them bones don't get any younger, I found many commercials easy for this, although nice flat carved out swims right next to a path etc , still very nice to be with well thought out planting and positioning.
    Keep looking, just a thought, where some commercials don't offer a yearly thing, why not make them an offer, email maybe, they can only say no. I found the managers of these commercials very amenable people more often than not, they will go a long way to help you so, you never know.
    I remember once, one stopped a gap being boarded up at the far end of a complex just because for me and my mate used it as a short cut from the Train Station.
    Last edited by markg; 06-08-2017 at 08:55.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12