You know those...

fishplate42

Reaction score
... things that look like white Quavers, used for packing. Well, they dissolve in water. I assume they are PVA foam. Does anybody know if they are and has anybody tried using them for fishing?

36250810141_f309ed1436_c.jpg

Ralph.

rich66

Reaction score
Depends on the brand the could be corn starch or similar if they are the biodegradable type. That's according to Wikipedia anyway.
All I know is our cat eats them if he finds any

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
They're used in carp fishing to trap the hair, mask the hook point to prevent tangles. I used them when fishing braided hooklinks on a lead and threaded up the hooklink to kick it away from the mainline as I was sometimes reeling in a ball of knitting.

peterjg

Reaction score
I rarely use them now but they are useful when hair rigging meat, etc. Sometimes the hook catches in the meat when casting and masks the hook point. That foam is put on the hook and melts in the water, usually I lick one bit and stick two bits around the hook. You can buy it in tackle shops, I did find though that the coloured foam did not always dissolve properly. I suggest that you test yours before use.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do know how the regular fishing stuff is supposed to be used, I was just wondering if this is the same stuff. Well, On closer inspection of the bag they came in they have a suppliers website address and it actually describes their products. They are an eco-friendly outfit supplying all sorts of 'good for the environment' packing. As rich66 suggested they are indeed corn starch... I wonder ig next door's cat will like them...:puke:

Here is the description from their website:

Eco Flo Bio Loosefill

"Eco Flo is the UK’s number 1 loose fill and is made from GM free starch and is 100% biodegradable.
Unlike all other loose fills on the market, Eco Flo is compostable (EN13432) ....."

I can't see that it will do any harm, so I will give it a try.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Also useful if you ever decide to move Ralph.:D

Philip

Reaction score
I have a big carrier bag full of them in my shed at the moment ...as far as I can see they are exactly the same as the ones that where sold in small pots by the likes of Fox and Solar for an inflated cost.

You need to be careful however as most of the packaging "nuggets" are more likly polystyrene and wont dissolve however from time to time you do get the ones that are the real thing. If you not sure then spit on one and you will find out soon enough.

Having said all that I must admit I dont actually use them very often. Where I have used them in the past is to see where my rig has ended up...the foam nuggest detaches from the hook and rises up to the surface showing you exactly were the rig has landed. They can also be useful to mask the hookpoint on the way down through weed although I do sometimes worry that if they dont 100% dissolve you may be left; with some residue that could mask the hookpoint a little which is not so good if you fishing self hooking rigs.

fishplate42

Reaction score
As i was lead to believe .

If they are White they are PVA'ish
If they are a light brown they are corn or wheat starch .

PG ...

I had not realised what these things were until today, but these ones are white and it clearly states on the seller's website, they are corn starch...

...They are not expanded polystyrene either as we have lost of those things too, and they look and feel totally different.

Ralph.