Where have all the female anglers gone --

flightliner

Reaction score
Years ago, maybe n the early nineties there were several very competant female anglers who used to appear in the angling press on a fairly regular basis, Sandra halkon hunt, Wendy locker, Jill orme to name a few. I know that Lincoln AA once had a lady angler who fished in the old eastern counties winter league years back and another that did ok in some of the Collingham Trent matches around the mid nineties but I never see any these days.
Anyone know of any today ?.

The Runner

Reaction score
Think the Lincoln angler is Julie Abbott ? Still fishing for England along with Sandra H-H

sam vimes

Reaction score
I take very little notice of such things, but even I have heard of Emma Pickering (Tommy's daughter) doing pretty well on the match scene.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Don't know about the 'famous' female anglers around the match scene, but it has been an age since a female angler of any sort has appeared on FM. I recall a couple of them a few years back but that's about it....
Not a single women in the clubs I belong to, at least not for some years.

Understandable in some way, I suppose...

peterjg

Reaction score
Women should not be allowed to fish - and I'll give you an example why!

Only last week my wife and I went to a club lake, I set up a swingtip rod for her with a size 12 hook and flake as the bait. She cast in and I threw in two balls of groundbait, as she put the rod in the rests the tip flew up and she eventually landed a mirror of around 12-13lbs. She then recast and immediately caught a common of about 6lbs - I had not even taken my rod out of the rod bag! She then looked at me very smugly as an old codger walked round and said that she would have won the match yesterday.

I started to floatfish wheat for the roach missing several bites. I eventually changed to flake and had two bites where I lost both floats in a tree above! I had another bite and managed a crucian of 1.12.

It started to rain so we quickly started to pack up when she proceeded to catch a common of 12lbs!

On the way home she reminded me that she had caught over 30lbs to my 1.12lbs - and that's why you don't see many women fishing!

I realise that this all sounds a bit sexist but I've got nothing against women's lib as long as a man organises it.....

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
With everything so pc with gender equality and positive discrimination etc now is a great time to promote women anglers, could you imagine the exposure even a relatively successful female angler would get even on mainstream tv and radio if it was pushed by the angling bodies.

steve2

Reaction score
My wife use to fish with me and on club matches in fact she as trophies to prove it. She as never been fishing since our son was born 30 years ago. She was a very good "lucky" angler. Hopefully when she retires later this year she will take it up again.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Huge difference between a female fishing (alone) and one who accompanies her husband to the waters edge. The former is fine but the latter an absolute no-no - in my book, anyway!
I had girlfriends in my youth who came with me, but it had nothing whatsoever to do with fishing - if you get my drift...

No, IMHO it is something like chalk and cheese.....................

If an angler chooses to bring the wife/partner along, that's fine but I have no sympathy and serves him right if she catches more!!

strathy

Reaction score
My daughter goes fishing still, but only with her husband, too many wierd blokes roaming about these days, her words, not mine.

B

binka

too many wierd blokes roaming about these days, her words, not mine.

In all fairness though I've not been getting out so much of late due to work commitments :D

Joking aside I remember way back to anglers such as Rose Bench who took part in the Hooked series in the mid-eighties, I think she was the ladies champion at the time and there was also Tommy Pickering's missus and then Sandra Scotthorne.

Good anglers in their own right but a niche gender within a very male dominated pursuit and they will always be there if not directly in the spotlight, imo.

seth49

Reaction score
Still see a few woman anglers trout fishing, on the reservoir that I fish, some with there partners and some on there own, there usually pretty good too, catch some good fish.

robcourt82

Reaction score
There are a few dotted about on the match scene and there are a few junior girls that are promoting themselves well on social media etc.
All joking aside I think the more the merrier, for both sexes. I just think fishing is such a great hobby that everyone should do it!

rayner

Reaction score
Women that do fish are general very good, some proficient ladies mentioned above.
If any women are reading this don't come to Aston Park please, perhaps stay home sewing and knitting.:D

Philip

Reaction score
Too cold
Too hot
Too wet
Too muddy
Too far
Too boring
Too many insects
Too many rodents
Too dirty
& of course - No toilet

...some of the many & varied reasons why we dont see more female anglers. Feel free to add any I may have missed ;):D

flightliner

Reaction score
Women that do fish are general very good, some proficient ladies mentioned above.
If any women are reading this don't come to Aston Park please, perhaps stay home sewing and knitting.:D

Better to be "skylined" with them than some of the guys at AP tho!:D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
High heels getting stuck in boarded swims
Damp conditions make the hair frizzy
Male anglers misunderstanding "Can you give me a hand, please"....

iain t

Reaction score
As far as i know they are a couple of the fairer sex in my club. One young lady often fishes on her own. On Facebook am friends will lots of lady anglers. Am not sure if they match fish but they are always posting their catches. Puts me to shame at times

rayner

Reaction score
If men made everything on the bank messy they would deffo stay away.
The only reason for my wife to be on the bank is to prepare all my gear to enable me to fish unhindered. She can't stand the idea of fishing and has anglers down as the looniest of human beings.
Women that fish are want to be men.