Crab sticks

seth49

Reaction score
A similar thing, are the king prawn flavoured tails,which Asda sell for a pound a packet in the frozen section, made from fish and shrimps etc.
Can be cut up to any size you want from them, a chap I know swears by them, I've used them and they do work.

mikench

Reaction score
Tescos used to do baby clams in brine, which are an excellent bait that can often outfish all the usual offerings. Great on the method, with the juice used on pellets or method mix. Two or three on a hair or singly on a size 12 is about right. I haven't seen them in the shops for a while, but they're still available.

John West baby clams in brine - Waitrose

Rob these are far too good for fish!;) I make a delicious linguini with baby clams , tomatoes and pesto!

robtherake

Reaction score
Rob these are far too good for fish!;) I make a delicious linguini with baby clams , tomatoes and pesto!

A tin goes a long way, Mike; there must be hundreds of the little blighters in a single can. Got to confess I haven't actually tasted 'em, but they're a good, instant bait and on the day can be hard to beat.

rayner

Reaction score
My dexterity issues could make using crab sticks too tricky.
Could be back to mussel, it's been said above.
Hopefully I'm out Monday with casters for Ide, will still try crab sticks there only a quid a shot. One things for sure I certainly will not be eating any.
Are the clams like a bigger cockle.

robtherake

Reaction score
My dexterity issues could make using crab sticks too tricky.
Could be back to mussel, it's been said above.
Hopefully I'm out Monday with casters for Ide, will still try crab sticks there only a quid a shot. One things for sure I certainly will not be eating any.

They're quite small and light - maybe half an inch across - and have a flat profile.

sam vimes

Reaction score

I rather suspect that, even if they are meant to be a different species, it's a question of where in the world you are as to what you call them. I've certainly been served "baby clams" before. Right or wrong, I'd have called what turned up cockles. Cockles are supposed to be fractionally different to true clams. When it comes to using them for bait, I'd be going for the cheapest possible, provided they were of acceptable size. A proper clam, depending on the species, will usually be bigger than a cockle.

Baby clams

cockle - Google Search

rayner

Reaction score
My in laws brought some tinned clams back from Madeira once, don't ask me why.
They appeared to be cockles to me.

mikench

Reaction score
All cockles are clams, but not all clams are cockles.! I am certain the John West baby clams are cockles. They are delicious and I am sure fish will like them. They could be hair rigged or hooked directly. I might try them one day!:)

laguna

Reaction score
According to wiki... a form of kamaboko, a processed seafood made of starch and finely pulverized white fish (surimi), shaped and cured to resemble the leg meat of snow crab or Japanese spider crab.

They don't (or rarely) contain any crab.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Cockles are an outstanding tench bait. In rudd-heavy waters they seem to avoid the rudd whilst the tincas go mad for them. Get the frozen ones from the fish counter - NOT the ones in vinegar.

robtherake

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried whelks? they would never come off the hook.

Aren't some types of whelk poisonous?

I boiled up a bucket of winkles - another never-comes-off type of bait - and spent an afternoon catching eels one after the other on a water where they're rarely seen. I thought the carp would go daft for them, but no. Just a succession of trace-manglers of a pound or so.:eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried whelks? they would never come off the hook.

It would have to be a fair sized hook to get a whole whelk on. The alternative doesn't appeal much. I suspect you'd need a chain saw to cut them into smaller pieces.:D I love eating cockles, mussels, razor clams, squid, octopus, prawns, crabs, lobster, scallops and crayfish. The only thing of a similar ilk that I'll never, ever, eat again are whelks. I'd sooner try to consume a squash ball. If you've ever had escargot, think along those lines sized up ten times. I'll also eat an oyster or two, provided no one gets upset when I cook them. Pouring a raw one down my throat is never going to happen, unless I have a pressing need to see my stomach contents.

Philip

Reaction score
Morrison’s fresh fish counter… fresh mussels £1.20 for 127g or reduced to 90p after 6pm

I have visons of the board of directors at Morrisons in deep contemplation trying to decipher why they have seen a sudden spike in mussel sales between 6pm & 6.15pm on a friday evening.

...they really should visit Fishing Magic more often...:D

seth49

Reaction score
This is the list of ingredients for the king prawn flavour tails, these are the Iceland ones.

Ingredients
Surimi (49%) (Textured White Fish Protein, Sugar, Stabilizers: Sodium Tri Polyphosphate, Tetra Sodium Poly Phosphates), Water, Tapioca Starch, Corn Starch, Modified Tapioca Starch, Sugar, Salt, Humectant (Sorbitol), Soybean Oil (Soya), Egg White Powder, Crab Meat Extract Powder (Crustacean), Prawn Extract (Crustacean), Flavour Enhancer (Glycine), Prawn Flavour (Crustacean), Stabilizer (Carrageenan), Flavour Enhancer (Mono Sodium Glutamate), Colours (Paprika, Titanium Dioxide?

thecrow

Reaction score
I love eating cockles, mussels, razor clams, squid, octopus, prawns, crabs, lobster, scallops and crayfish. The only thing of a similar ilk that I'll never, ever, eat again are whelks

I only ever tried them once and that was enough for me it was like eating an eraser :)

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

Titanium Dioxide?

Used in lots of foods (its what makes ice cream white ) also used in the manufacture of cigarette filter tips.

rayner

Reaction score
This is the list of ingredients for the king prawn flavour tails, these are the Iceland ones.

Ingredients
Surimi (49%) (Textured White Fish Protein, Sugar, Stabilizers: Sodium Tri Polyphosphate, Tetra Sodium Poly Phosphates), Water, Tapioca Starch, Corn Starch, Modified Tapioca Starch, Sugar, Salt, Humectant (Sorbitol), Soybean Oil (Soya), Egg White Powder, Crab Meat Extract Powder (Crustacean), Prawn Extract (Crustacean), Flavour Enhancer (Glycine), Prawn Flavour (Crustacean), Stabilizer (Carrageenan), Flavour Enhancer (Mono Sodium Glutamate), Colours (Paprika, Titanium Dioxide?

This seems a soluble mix.
Are the tails made of the same stuff as crab sticks.

---------- Post added at 03:03 ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 ----------

Ingredients

Do they dissolve? starch may not be as stable as a stick would suggest.

---------- Post added at 03:05 ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 ----------

Ingredients

Do they dissolve? starch may not be as stable as a stick would suggest.

---------- Post added at 03:07 ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 ----------

What have I done here. Sometimes I'm a proper pudding.
Please make allowances I'm new to reading :rolleyes::rolleyes:

thecrow

Reaction score
Starch is a good binder, I use cornflour to bind my fishmeal paste (its just blitzed fishmeal ground bait) and it works quite well the paste does break down which is what I want it to do but not quickly, a grape sized piece on still water can last an hour less so on running water.