manufactured baits

robertroach

Reaction score
I have always used liked using fairly "natural", or old fashioned baits, although very occasionally I fish a floating bait for carp, using a dog biscuit. I hate the idea of so many boilies and pellets going in that it makes it harder to catch fish using "proper" baits.

The idea of bombarding your swim with boilies and then sitting down with a bolt rig attached to a 3oz lead is the exact opposite of any fishing I want to do.

I have been to a small local club lake a few times recently and fished with sweetcorn, hemp and tares and have done OK with some decent sized roach and 8 small tench up to about 3lbs on one visit.

My local tackle dealer said there were lots of bigger tench and roach and persuaded me to try some 8mm red robin pellets. I have never used pellets before but I chucked a few in, and using a bait band and a light setup on my margin pole, had an amazing afternoon with not so many small fish, obviously, but some much bigger roach and a couple of decent size bream and a 5lb 2oz tench (a PB for me).

I don't feel completely happy about joining the pellet fishers however. Seems almost too easy. Anyone else feel the same?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I hate the idea of so many boilies and pellets going in that it makes it harder to catch fish using "proper" baits.?

Any type of bait going into a water in huge quantities is going to make things a little harder. However, the idea that the use of boilies or pellets makes catching on other baits harder is about as realistic as the myth of hemp seed drugging fish.

The idea of bombarding your swim with boilies and then sitting down with a bolt rig attached to a 3oz lead is the exact opposite of any fishing I want to do.?

A) You don't have to use large quantities of boilies. Despite appearances, it isn't compulsory to chuck several kilos into every water you go near B) You can use any type of rig to fish a boilie. If that means a 2 SSG link leger or float fishing them, you can.

I don't feel completely happy about joining the pellet fishers however. Seems almost too easy. Anyone else feel the same?

If it's too easy, just go back to corn and not being able to catch the better fish. No one will force you to fish pellets. I rarely fish much other than maggot, and it shows in my catches. It's not a question of not having, or being prepared to use alternate baits, just an anything with fins outlook on fishing and a penchant for trotting. I'm not going to complain when someone turns up with an alternate bait and does well. I either choose to emulate them, or not, mostly not. I know full well that my chances of bigger specimens can be hindered by my choice to use maggots.

thecrow

Reaction score
Seems almost too easy. Anyone else feel the same?

When did it become compulsory for angling to be difficult? All baits and methods have their day and if you close your mind to not learning how to use them you are missing out on some good fishing and the opportunity to become a better angler.

If you don't want your fishing to be easy why not try fishing without any bait at all that will make it more difficult but not impossible as fish have been caught on a bare hook before.

I would have given Sams post a like but the facility is still missing.

Philip

Reaction score
However, the idea that the use of boilies or pellets makes catching on other baits harder is about as realistic as the myth of hemp seed drugging fish.

I would go so far as to say on occasion it can actually make it easier to catch on more traditional baits if everyone else is using bolies.

rich66

Reaction score
Must admit not having tried pellets or boilies, quite happy catching what I do with what I use maggots, meat, corn, bread, muscles etc I've only just tried the method feeder, as I much prefer a float.
I'll try different things but as I'm quite happy catching anything with a fin I'm in no hurry. Each to their own I

mikench

Reaction score
Too easy! Not where I am concerned!;) I have one great day and another , using similar tactics but being better prepared and fail!:( Great fun this fishing lark!;)