Same length hook lengths

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Easy enough when I'm using a matchman tyer but when using the knotless knot it's not quite so straightforward, any tips?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tie the knot at the hook first, then measure out the distance to the loop and tie that.

Wish it was that simple, maybe it is, and it's my less than able arthritic digits making a simple task more difficult than it needs to be. Yes it's easy after tying the hook to measure a length, cut and then tie the loop but it's getting that loop tied to the same length each time that I seem to struggle with, it's not a scientific operation whereas the other method is using a jig tying the loop first and working back towards the hook.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Wish it was that simple, maybe it is, and it's my less than able arthritic digits making a simple task more difficult than it needs to be. Yes it's easy after tying the hook to measure a length, cut and then tie the loop but it's getting that loop tied to the same length each time that I seem to struggle with, it's not a scientific operation whereas the other method is using a jig tying the loop first and working back towards the hook.

Using a double overhand loop, getting the overall length (within a millimetre or two)shouldn't be a big issue, even for someone with reduced dexterity. Getting the loop itself exactly the same size (if that bothers you) is a trickier proposition. It's that bit more difficult when it comes to a figure of eight knot.

bracket

Reaction score
To fix the hook length I use a cribbage /domino peg board. Set the pegs in board at the required distance. I use 8 inches. Anchor the tied hook around one peg and take the line around the other peg to form the loop. Pinch the two pieces of line with thumb and forefinger to fix the loop at the required size then tie a figure of eight knot. The link below is one I did years ago and towards the end it shows how to tie a figure of eight knot. Hope this helps. Pete.

how to tie a spade end hook lengthmp4 - YouTubehttp://https://youtu.be/XSWu0-oSO20

robcourt82

Reaction score
The crib board is as good as anything, a bit of wood with 2 pins in or for 3 quid the ringers thing. All will do what you need. As for getting the loop the same size there are lots of companies that make a loop Tyler that looks like a disgorger but personally I like the seymo 2 pronged thing. They're cheap as chips and I find the 2 sizes just about perfect.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does it really matter if one Hooklink is slightly longer or shorter than another???
Fish don't use rulers.

Aha, I was wondering when that question would be asked. Couldn't agree with you more, infact I'm doing a batch for fishing shallow in deep water for Rudd, a few inches either way wouldn't be an issue. The reason I'd like them all the same length is so they fit neatly in my Guru hook case.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought the reason would be for pole fishing so as once you'd got the exact plumbing in a spot you didn't have to alter your float....just something I once heard people saying.

trotter2

Reaction score
I just tie the hook on and wrap the line 4 times or 6 times around the hand and finish with a loop.
They all turn out within 1/2 inch differences.
It's near enough for me when fishing water with a running line set up.
You can always double check the depth by measuring on the rod before hand.
A dab of tippex on the blank indicating the depth is an often used method if you want to be exact about it.

Richox12

Reaction score
Tie the hook first, double up the other end after having passed it around & taken it off a pin to ensure correct length, form a double overhand loop knot LOOSE (so don't tighten it down), pass the loop around a pin of the diameter/size you want and then, importantly, put a needle into the actual knot and slide it to where you want it as you tighten the loop knot down. This ensures the loop knot doesn't tighten down prematurely making a loop which is too big. Then pull the needle out and finish tightening.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They say practice makes perfect, maybe not perfect but I'm getting there, much of that due to the hints and tips, thank you.

8LtJ0xw.jpg

fishplate42

Reaction score
They say practice makes perfect, maybe not perfect but I'm getting there, much of that due to the hints and tips, thank you.

Very neat John. I hope you don't mind me saying, but if you look at the box, the first row of pins are longer than all the rest and they do not have little 'pips' on them to hold the loop in place, like all the shorter pins. Those ones are there so you can use them to gauge the length of the of the hook-length making it easier to slide the line off for loop tying. On my boxes, I usually leave that row empty or use it last, if required.

Ralph.