Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Same length hook lengths

Easy enough when I'm using a matchman tyer but when using the knotless knot it's not quite so straightforward, any tips?

Default Re: Same length hook lengths

Tie the knot at the hook first, then measure out the distance to the loop and tie that.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Tie the knot at the hook first, then measure out the distance to the loop and tie that.
    Wish it was that simple, maybe it is, and it's my less than able arthritic digits making a simple task more difficult than it needs to be. Yes it's easy after tying the hook to measure a length, cut and then tie the loop but it's getting that loop tied to the same length each time that I seem to struggle with, it's not a scientific operation whereas the other method is using a jig tying the loop first and working back towards the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Wish it was that simple, maybe it is, and it's my less than able arthritic digits making a simple task more difficult than it needs to be. Yes it's easy after tying the hook to measure a length, cut and then tie the loop but it's getting that loop tied to the same length each time that I seem to struggle with, it's not a scientific operation whereas the other method is using a jig tying the loop first and working back towards the hook.
    Using a double overhand loop, getting the overall length (within a millimetre or two)shouldn't be a big issue, even for someone with reduced dexterity. Getting the loop itself exactly the same size (if that bothers you) is a trickier proposition. It's that bit more difficult when it comes to a figure of eight knot.

To fix the hook length I use a cribbage /domino peg board. Set the pegs in board at the required distance. I use 8 inches. Anchor the tied hook around one peg and take the line around the other peg to form the loop. Pinch the two pieces of line with thumb and forefinger to fix the loop at the required size then tie a figure of eight knot. The link below is one I did years ago and towards the end it shows how to tie a figure of eight knot. Hope this helps. Pete.

Casternets

Trust me I’m an Engineer

The crib board is as good as anything, a bit of wood with 2 pins in or for 3 quid the ringers thing. All will do what you need. As for getting the loop the same size there are lots of companies that make a loop Tyler that looks like a disgorger but personally I like the seymo 2 pronged thing. They're cheap as chips and I find the 2 sizes just about perfect.

Does it really matter if one Hooklink is slightly longer or shorter than another???
    Fish don't use rulers.

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Does it really matter if one Hooklink is slightly longer or shorter than another???
    Fish don't use rulers.
    Aha, I was wondering when that question would be asked. Couldn't agree with you more, infact I'm doing a batch for fishing shallow in deep water for Rudd, a few inches either way wouldn't be an issue. The reason I'd like them all the same length is so they fit neatly in my Guru hook case.

I thought the reason would be for pole fishing so as once you'd got the exact plumbing in a spot you didn't have to alter your float....just something I once heard people saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast