Exuding maggots

sam vimes

Reaction score
Gents, don't get the idea that I'm worrying about it. I'm just intrigued as to what exactly it is. It seems to happen whether the maggots are in bran, maize flour or sawdust. I do just pick the stuff out, but I've noticed it back again in fairly short order. Even if I riddle and sieve off the old bran/maize/sawdust and replace with fresh, it'll be back. I picked that bit of fluff out of a fridged tub of maggots yesterday. Already there is a smaller lump forming despite the maggots never having left the fridge.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I think it must be some kind of fungus as it keeps regrowing, just what I don't know. I too would be interested to know what it is...

Ralph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think it must be some kind of fungus as it keeps regrowing, just what I don't know.

I could go with a fungus, but I'm still left wondering if it's something that the maggots are exuding/excreting. That would explain the reappearance just as well as fungus regrowth.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Could it be a fungus that thrives on something the maggots excrete?

Ralph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Could it be a fungus that thrives on something the maggots excrete?

Ralph.

Could be, my only slight doubt there would be how quickly it forms. I guess that we'll only be able to speculate. Even then, I doubt there's a great deal of proper research that's been carried out on maggots used/stored for bait! Shame that Alan no longer has access to a lab.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Could be, my only slight doubt there would be how quickly it forms. I guess that we'll only be able to speculate. Even then, I doubt there's a great deal of proper research that's been carried out on maggots used/stored for bait! Shame that Alan no longer has access to a lab.

You never know, someone might still be able to tell us. I am going to spend half an hour searching the internet while the 'boss' is out. Then I had better get on with some real work... :cool:

Ralph.

greenie62

Reaction score
..... Shame that Alan no longer has access to a lab.

Probably just as well - it could be the start of a new Episode of the UK version of 'Breaking Bad'!:eek::D:D:D

You might have just given him an idea for starting a 'crowd-funding appeal':eek::eek:mg:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I've asked around my angling friends and most agree it is what I said in my first reply. It's dead skin and grease shed by maggots. Much the same as humans shed dust-like dead skin every day...The constant movement of the maggots cause it to stick together and rise to the surface in a clump.....