Little furry perishers

slime monster

Reaction score
As the weather is so bad i have not fished for two weeks ,this morning i took the opportunity to sort my tackle out and to my horror found that mice had half eaten my groundbait collapsible bowl and even worse the little sods have eaten the arse out of my wax cotton overtrousers . Traps purchased and baited with peanut butter have took four already ........a cautionary tale.

ian geddes 2

Reaction score
I had them in my shed ,they ate the cork handle of a rod made a nest with the lining of my jacket , scoffed load of Halibut pelts and god knows what else. I have 2 traps set with the old classic cheese or bacon all the time now.I've caught loads over the years,I wish I'd caught as many fish

barry dix

Reaction score
I've got them in the attic, traps, poison, more traps, more poison, they're still there.

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
They love casters too!

Long after I knew he'd been at work, I saw my one, and he/she was so cute, and being a bit of an animal lover,I forgave him/her, but did repack all my baits into rodent proof plastic boxes.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
A mate of mine used to buy hemp in bulk and keep them in bhis garage. He went away for on holiday for three weeks. On return hemp, what was left was all over the floor, the bag had holes in where the mice chewed through.

He now puts his hemp into smaller bags and hangs them up well of the floor.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Between my air rifle and poison, I have managed to keep rats at bay for some time.

One of the best ways of catching rats is by wayof a plastic tube about 6 inches in diameter and about 3 feet long.Wrap string around the outside so that the rats can climb it and them but 1/2 a dozen Mars Bars, opened, in the bottom. They can't climb the slippery plastic tube from the inside.

Next morning it will be full of rats which you can dispatch with your air rifle from the top.

Some people bludgeon the rats.

Reaction score
I think mine have got crafty.

I took loads in traps baitedwith Peanut butter when I first found them. I've had the occasional one since but have had no sign of them for about 6 months.

Last night I noticed that one of the traps had gone off in the last weekwith nothing captured. When I checked the other traps they were all totally clean of penaut butter but the traps had not gone off.

Could theyhave figured out how to gently lick the bait offwithout triggering the trap?

F

Fred Bonney

You may have shrews Mike.

This year I've had shrews, harvest mice and woodmice, the shrews are the only ones that I haven't found in traps.

I catch them by hand, because they are daft and wander about thinking they can't be seen,but probably too light for the traps!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Fred.

I think I'll start regular patrols to see if I can spot any.

Does anyone have any tips on deterents? I have one of those sonic things plugged in- complete waste of time!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they wouldn't come anywhere near the smell of a Ferret. I've no intention of keeping Ferrets but can you buy their essence in a spray can?

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Slimey,

What you need to do is entice a neghbours cat into your shed & accidentally lock it in. Hunger being a great motivator will do the rest, if you have a shortage of cats in your area let me know, I've got 6 who regularly visit, I'm sure I could "borrow" one for you.

Reaction score
You lot have had it easy.

Last year I had an infestation of fish inside my television set.

The bream were a bl**dy nuisance. When they turned side on I coudn't see the picture.

I recon they managed to get down the coax during the summer floods.

C

Cakey

wicked bar stewards they are just trying to survive like the rest of us

put all bait etc in dustbins

save our furry friends

R

Robert Woods

Feeeding cat "naturals" is a good way of beating credit crunch.../forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif.

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mike Humphries wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Could theyhave figured out how to gently lick the bait offwithout triggering the trap?</blockquote>
I had the same problem using plastic traps that open like clothes pegs i now use a plastic version of a traditional trap, none have beat it.

barry dix

Reaction score
I've resorted to a glue trap it says to check it twice a day, can't see that happening!

Paul B

Reaction score
I've read that natural peppermint oil deters mice as they hate the smell but not tried it. try googling it for info.