hooks to nylon sell by date

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I gave all my fishing gear to my son this weekend as I kind of stopped fishing , as hobbies go it lasted longer than most except maybe swimming.

We had quite a nice morning remembering fish we had caught and lost -

an accidental pike down the canal
two great tench and a fantastic perch also from the canal
etc etc

Anyway there was a load of stuff.

I suggested he replace the line on all the reels but the hooks to nylon and powerline hook length spools have all been religiously kept out of the sun either in wallets inside a sealed box or in a bag in a drawer in the shed.

Still ok to use do you think - they are all well known brands and are mainly hooks for carp with the pellet band included so intended for commercial carp around 10 LBS.

Any help appreciated - as ever :)
This forum and go fishing really taught me a lot everyone has been very generous with their help !

greenie62

Reaction score
....Still ok to use do you think - they are all well known brands and are mainly hooks for carp with the pellet band included so intended for commercial carp around 10 LBS......

I've recently used some hooks to nylon that were mouldering in the bottom of one of the old tackle bags (from a shop that's been closed for 20yrs) - they seem to be fine - Daiwa 16s to 22" of 1lb 8oz - hooks still bright and sharp, line seems to be sound.
I also found some PI banded hooks to nylon - where the bands had perished and parted from the 'hair' as soon as they were stretched! If you give those a close inspection before use you might save some disappointment!

rayner

Reaction score
If you don't trust any hooks to nylon then to change the line is not too difficult.

I have said before that hooks ready tied if stored properly IE (in a cool dark place) will last an age.
I don't know the figures regarding how long it takes for nylon to disintegrate or degrade but I recon it's more than a decade or two.
It appears I tie hooks for fun, I find it so simple to make up a packet of spades.
I literary have hundreds made up, at least enough to last a good few seasons. I'll be bu99ered if I will tie them again.
They will be used.