Has FM added anything for you?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
That is, to your knowledge of fishing, new friendships, or is it purely from an entertainment aspect.

I ask this because I've become increasingly disillusioned over the last year or so.

I appreciate that all sites have an ebb and flow content. Forgive me if I make the observation that this particular site seems to be more ebb than flow. We seem to rely on the same small handful of regular contributors. What a contrast to several years ago when the site boasted a plethora of vibrant contributors, we seem to have lost our way as well as losing valued members. I realise this may not endear me to some, but I needed to get this off my chest.

To use the often paraphrased expression, don't ask what the site can do for you, but what you can do for it!!

Rant over.

PH

Reaction score
I think FM has added a great deal to my fishing knowledge…………. but whether or not I understand it all correctly is another matter entirely.

Living and working overseas I rarely get a chance to fish “properly”, by properly I mean I prefer freshwater fishing in the UK (civilization), I doubt I have dabbled at fishing in the UK more than a dozen times in the 10 years since I signed up with FM. But, since stumbling across the site in 2007, I have become an avid fan.

The main benefit of FM, to me, is that it certainly provides a great deal of food for thought and a great deal of enjoyment when reading the exploits of the regular contributors. I sincerely hope I will become a regular contributor myself just as soon as I retire and relocate back to the UK, hopefully that will be early next year.

Regards to all,
Paul

thecrow

Reaction score
I have made friends that I have fished with and strangely I feel as if some members are also friends even though I have never met them so that has been a positive for me.

I don't fish as much as I did in the past for lots of reasons but FM keeps me in touch with other anglers when I cant get out, a sort of virtual chat on the bank.

I have learned bits about new methods that I will never use such as all the terminology to do with pole fishing but at least now I understand what others are talking about.

Now the bits I dislike........... this forum lags behind others when it comes to ease of use, probably the biggest bugbear is the lack of a facility for members to easily post pictures on the forum and the seemingly reluctance of the forum to do anything about it despite comments being made to the contrary ages ago, imo it shows a disdain for the members and I know of one important regular member that isn't posting because of it.

Another big dislike is the fact that long standing members are prevented by the sites T&Cs from posting anything political that is not angling related while a none member has been allowed to do just that despite the fact that a poll of the members asked for it to be removed, another show of disdain from FM?

The lack of new members is a concern that FM should be taking seriously imo, why the site relies on the same old contributors I have no idea maybe its because the site does nothing about the ease of use of the site ? I belong to a much much smaller forum that has a picture posting facility why is it that they have what FM does not? FM seems to gain an inordinate amount of none contributing new members who become lurkers taking what they can and contributing nothing.

If nothing is done by FM to keep good anglers posting I can see it just fading away as other forums have done in the past, in these days of other much easier to use forms of social media some forums are fighting a loosing battle to attract good members and also to keep the ones they already have.

Lastly I really do not like the recent changes with the introduction of the like, thanks, dislike buttons, firstly there was nothing wrong with the old system, the dislike button is something that could easily cause arguments (perhaps that's why its there) and has already been used by a none contributing member to do that. The thank you button I can take or leave, if someone gets help after asking for it and doesnt have the good manners to thank the member I doubt they will get any more help from anyone.

A lot of moans from me but like you Derek I needed to get them off my chest lets hop that someone from FM reads this stuff and more importantly acts on it before its to late.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I contributed a huge amount a decade ago which led to me writing half a dozen books so I got a lot out and put a lot in. More recently I have made angling friends which can't be a bad thing. I remain frustrated by the difficulty in posting pictures not that I've tried lately; perhaps I'll have a go in a minute - I can put off painting a fence a while longer....

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sadly, as I like the format, forums are slowly dying. Numbers are dwindling and the average age of users is getting steadily higher. It's just the way of the world. Times change and things move on. Whether we choose to move with them is up to us as individuals.

seth49

Reaction score
It's certainly a friendly place than it was, none of the backstabbing that used to go on, plenty of info on fishing subjects too.
If they fix the issue on posting photos direct, it will be a lot better.
Hope it carries on, it's good for a look in, would miss it.?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
"That is, to your knowledge of fishing, new friendships, or is it purely from an entertainment aspect."

I would think it has provided all three for many anglers. I use it as a sounding board sometimes; imagine you had to write a letter to the Angling Times whenever you wanted a view. Or just to read through what is being caught; that's always interesting. I am not much good on tackle though, never got past the stick and bent pin stage really but I appreciate the huge interest in it.

Where is it now, I don't think it’s a lot different to what it has always been; personally I have made 2500 posts over the years so I reckon I have done my bit but having a break for now, not fishing much and I can’t keep rehashing old news/knowledge/ ideas but I will keep looking in for now...However, I have nearly saved the 6 quid for a day licence so might have a one trip soon, let you know how I got on when the great day arrives.

General-you know if you Google English Fishing Forums you get over 3.000.000 results, that’s one forum per angler, Ok I know that’s not all forums but you get my drift, too many.

Agree with Crow on the pictures, bloody pain in the arris, takes me half a morning and not sure the dislike button is a good idea, only seen one so far and that’s caused a rick, but as Crow said maybe that’s the reason, cause a bit of disharmony but could cause the use of the "big dislike button".

One forum I was a member of once tried too hard to make it work, best let the ebb and flow occur naturally in my opinion, as long as people enjoy their fishing and talking about it in any form is all that’s needed.

Like a bit of politics, but you can weave it into a fishing related question to escape the beady eye of PJ.

Suggest a natural history permanent thread, just my other interest and not enough of it gets posted and a lot of anglers see a lot of stuff which would be nice to see more because its always interesting whether your half blind or not. Would be more positive than a dislike button but then, good ideas and FM.....I have not had one good idea in 15 years, must be a record of some kind; still waiting for my Peter Crabtree accolade!

PS, however, just found a use for the "thank you for the post" button, useful.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
What I like about this forum is that there is always appears to be some one no matter obscure the question who will give you the answer. Fishing related or other.
Have given up even trying to post pictures on here but that seems the same on most forums.

Like to think that some day I will meet up with some of you or I may have already met with some of you on the bank and not realised it.

Have been in and out of forums over the years been banned from some, my views not always agreeing with the moderators. Have left others because of backstabbing. As I have got older I have tried not to be a grumpy old git but it does not always work.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It certainly is. However, one thing I've noticed in twenty odd years of forum use, the more strife, the more interest.

We had a lot of that on one forum once, the problem was it ended up a lot of people left and stopped posting but continued to look in and read the strife posts. It became a soap opera for many. So yes, the more interest but the content suffered and it ended up being closed down, the Angling Times forum of all things. So yes, some strife might be a good thing but too much and it goes downhill.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I must admit that I enjoy looking at this forum. It is good to hear what other anglers are up to. I go fishing usually 3 times a week, preferring to fish alone (except family). Due to my hearing deteriorating I now try to avoid bankside conversation, yes I know, I am an unsociable old git! I try to help and I certainly have learned from this forum, it is also good to know that it is not just me that struggles from time to time!

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
It is all a bit different for me. Firstly, I will have only been fishing for three years, next month. I knew absolutely nothing about fishing and had to try and learn a lot, filtering out what did not work for me. Forums work for me an this one is the best I have found. I learnt a lot from another forum but in the end I left due to the constant negativity, innuendo and rudeness that was all justified as 'banter'.

Here I can ask a question and get an civil answer.

The posting of pictures is not a problem for me as I have several places where I can host images and I have an understanding of code, so I can usually 'code' my way out of a problem (so long as the board allows it).

I understand how frustrating for others no on-board hosting can be and I don't understand why the board does not make that easier. Having said that it is relatively easy to use an outside hosting company - there are lots of free ones around. The trouble is you do run the risk of images being unavailable if the company closes or, as has happens recently with PhotoBucket, they have lowered the posting limits available to its free subscribers.

I don't particularly like the new buttons. The like was sufficient and this is just trying to replicate platforms such as FaceBook.

Forums are loosing ground to 'Social Media' because it it so much easier to make a quick remark of to ask a simple question, usually in a language I struggle to comprehend sometimes. I much prefer a forum but I am an an old fart who like to discuss a subject, not just milk the members for an answer.

I do try and contribute, where I can, and if I have a skill I can pass on to a fellow member, I will. To me it is all about sharing. Yes I do take from the forum, but I do try and give back where I can.

Ralph.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, what a question . . . . .

For me, having been a member for a long time I can honestly say, yes on both counts FM has enhanced and improved my fishing as well as making so many really good friends.

On the fishing side then the early articles from the likes of Dave Slater and Mark Wintle I found very thought provoking and informative, and after reading Dave's articles my Chub fishing results improved dramatically. . . . . .

As for friendship, well, over the years I have met and made friends with a vast number of people and very good anglers on here. The likes of Messrs' Marsden, Bibby, Chilton, Maidment, Whatmore, Grant, Giddy, Knowles, Gruncell and Connor and many more besides, who I've had the pleasure of fishing with and entertaining often here in my home.

To many reading this those are just names, who, since the exodus from here some years ago, we have not seen for a long time, sadly, and (without insulting anyone here) this site is a much less informative and friendly place due to their absence.

If I might address Graham's point regarding "political posts" let me just say that following the exodus from FM many of those who left (about 70 or 80) opened a new site (private, with membership by invitation only) and in the last year it has been absolutely decimated due to political differences with many leaving over politically decisive issues.

Accordingly, we will not change our policies here on FM regarding politics (unless 100% angling oriented) as there are many social media outlets to vent one's spleen on those issues . . . . . . politics, religion and fishing are like oil and water . . . . they just don't MIX WELL . . . . .

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I like FM. Don't forget there is the occasional article available making it more than just a Forum.
Its a friendly place and I am glad those that were getting abusive have been banished.
I have received help from members and appreciate that help.

There is a long running gripe about photo posting. I am not very clever with the IT side of things so if I have managed to post photos anyone can. Its pretty quick with the free outside sites.
I have used IMGUR and POSTIMAGE.ORG

My big gripe is that the lurkers who join glean a bit of info and don't have the manners to get back on here and give a result.

nottskev

Reaction score
To many reading this those are just names, who, since the exodus from here some years ago, we have not seen for a long time, sadly, and (without insulting anyone here) this site is a much less informative and friendly place due to their absence.

If I might address Graham's point regarding "political posts" let me just say that following the exodus from FM many of those who left (about 70 or 80) opened a new site (private, with membership by invitation only) and in the last year it has been absolutely decimated due to political differences with many leaving over politically decisive issues.

I've only been posting for a few months, but I've enjoyed the experience, met some nice people, virtually and in reality, and added an enjoyable new dimension to my daily routines.

I wasn't on here in the "golden age" implied by Derek, but I've found there are some 'vibrant' contributors around, and friendliness and information pleasantly easy to come across. And I for one welcome the "everyday", grounded dimension of threads like HDYGO, with plenty of interesting accounts of success, but room for the frustrations and disappointments which are part of any honest picture of fishing for most of us.

As a newcomer to the site, I'm really curious about the history that's being referred to rather obliquely. Can someone, without re-opening old controversies or disturbing the peace etc etc, tell me what went on?

I'm not intending to be sarky, but I can't square how a group of people who I'm told infused the forum with friendliness and information, also, apparently, were so fractious they destroyed the new forum they left,en masse, to set up.

I hope you can see why this seems so odd to the uninformed.

thecrow

Reaction score
Accordingly, we will not change our policies here on FM regarding politics (unless 100% angling oriented) as there are many social media outlets to vent one's spleen on those issues . . . . . . politics, religion and fishing are like oil and water . . . . they just don't MIX WELL

Agree totally Peter the reason I mentioned it was only because as far as I understood the T&Cs applied to everyone, best left though don't want to change the direction of the thread.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

I would have given Kevs post a like but there is no facility that I can see to do so.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks.
I've noticed some of my posts have no thanks/like/dislike options.
I assumed they must be unspeakable.

fishplate42

Reaction score
...My big gripe is that the lurkers who join glean a bit of info and don't have the manners to get back on here and give a result.

I hope I have not been guilty of that. I have had lots of advice and practical help from here and maybe sometimes in the proliferation of answers, and the excitement of trying something new, I guess it is possible to forget exactly where the advice came from...

I do know what you mean, though. In another world, I am involved with several forums where I am regarded as the 'expert' (with 50+ years experience) and give far more than I take. There are several posters there who are good at what they do (way above average, in fact) and yet share nothing and take, take, take. You know the sort of thing, Where can I get this or who makes that? They usually get answers and never acknowledge anything. Moreover, they will never get involved with any other posts.

To be honest, I have given up answering those sort of posts, forums are supposed to be GIVE and take, in my book.

Now, As I have been fishing for nearly three years, and I have seen most of the fishing videos out there I must be a fully fledges angler so ask me what you like and I will set you right - Okay? :D

Ralph - only kidding ;)

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Being a newcomer to the site i do not know what has happened in the past but i agree with the "no politics and no religion" rule as i have seen it ruin other forums.
In regards to a small group being regular contributors to the forum i think that it's pretty much the same on most sites.
I have not posted much but do regularly look in and i am sure a lot of others do the same.
It was a good point made earlier about the forums having to compete with social media as well.
Facebook can be informative and you can speak or ask questions to some of the expert anglers such as des shipp for instance but as with everything you have to pick and choose who you decide to read about.
I can't for the life of me understand why some people just look for an argument as it puts a lot of people off getting involved although it does not seem to be a problem on here.

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
...I can't for the life of me why some people just look for an argument as it puts a lot of people off getting involved although it does not seem to be a problem on here.

Nor me. It is the reason I decided to stay here and leave another forum. The last thing I want is an argument. Here I can discuss a point without it getting nasty. If someone says, do this, I am not concerned about asking 'why?' I am not questioning the wisdom, merely trying to further my understanding.

Ralph.