Reels , do we actually need baitrunners ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
As a post I put a few weeks ago about my Shimano dl4000 fa playing up the other one has started to do the same thing now .

Talking to a mate he had same thing with another Shimano baitrunner model he has gone to using fixed spool reels now .

My fushubg styles are float, ledger and feeder on quiver tip but also scaled down carp tactics with alarms for carp and tench .

What's people's opinions do I actually need baitrunner style reels or just slacked clutch on a fixed spool reel ?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
I have used loosened front clutches but only when fishing large pits where 1 bite in a day or longer was the norm, for waters where regular bites are expected I would favour a bait runner for ease of use.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Cheers, do a bit of both really with a smaller baitrunner don't have to use the free spool when of the tip .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You can get away with using the fighting drag on the stradic reels as a baitrunner if you like.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I thought the Exage reels was a fairly small reel ?

steve2

Reaction score
We got by without them for years so I suppose the answer is no we don't need them. But see as most modern styles of big fish fishing are built around bolt rigs or self-hooking rigs we now cannot do without them.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes I see your point but what about the big carpers who use big pits without baitrunners? Quid drags I believe?

Most time I use free running rigs as do slot of margin fishing

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I sometimes do this with my Exage reels, which also has the fightin' drag (as does the Aero GTM).

Yeah, i'm aware of the other models of reels with the fighting drag, I just used the stradic as an example ;).

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on the techniques being used and the definition of need.
There are plenty of other options beyond the true baitrunner type reel. However, loosening the drag (quickdrag or not) is just a variation on the theme. If you need the freespool function for the techniques being employed, how exactly you achieve it is largely immaterial. The most basic ways of doing it with a fixed spool reel are to disengage the anti-reverse or open the bail arm.
There are plenty of coarse angling techniques that never require any kind of freespool/baitrunner/open bail/anti-reverse off. I can't actually recall using such techniques, it'll be at least a year back, but I have used all four methods in the past.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have found free spool reels you do get more line twist when been feeder fishing but when go float fishing usually lock it up fairly tight but if a carp took the bait would pull line and I just use a daiwa ninja reel

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

I have been looking at the diawa reels as the cheap ish one I have is very good , the clutch is much smoother than shimanos of similar money

Keith M

Reaction score
Although I don't think the baitrunner feature is really essential (an open bailarm has worked for me without too many problems in the past).

However; when I am legering with more than one rod then I do find it far less hassle to use than an open balearm when a fish zooms off with my bait, and it can be a useful thing to have for other simple things too like setting my bobbins/indicators up after casting out, and threading my line through the rod rings when I'm setting up; which often makes it much more problem free, and having a freespool that has adjustable tension also adds to its advantages; but do I think it's essential? then I would have to say no, it's not really essential, for me it's just a useful added feature to have for this type of fishing.

Keith

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
I started on fixed spools then went to baitrunners now back to the basic fixed spool. Found the baitrunners too heavy for their size and a wound back front drag does the same thing in a more compact body

barbelboi

Reaction score
My answer to the thread title is no - although just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use the facility and it does certainly come in very handy at times.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes they are a handy feature but as Ian says they are heavy , I have a Shimano x aero 6000 and it's like a brick under the rod as to be honest I find myself being more aqurate with lighter reels and before the baitrunners I just used cheapo fixed spool reels and slacked the clutch .

I have read the daiwa 16tdm has a quick drag but looks just like a standard front drag reel to me , anyone got one or used one ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Yes they are a handy feature but as Ian says they are heavy , I have a Shimano x aero 6000 and it's like a brick under the rod as to be honest I find myself being more aqurate with lighter reels and before the baitrunners I just used cheapo fixed spool reels and slacked the clutch .

You've bought what is essentially the smallest of the carp/pike baitrunners where weight isn't really a huge issue. Bigger reels tend to balance carp/pike rods rather better than small reels and the rods tend to spend most of their lives on rests anyway. There's also a fair chance that the only difference between your 6000 Shimano and a 10000 of the same model is the size of the spool and rotor. The difference in weight between a 6000 and 8/10000 of the same model is general not huge.

If you want smaller and lighter baitrunners, they are available. Shimano and Daiwa both do small baitrunners down to 2500 size. If you are prepared to pay for it, you can also get baitrunners in lightweight materials that further trim the weight.

A baitrunner mechanism doesn't add a huge amount of weight when the standard fixed spool reel you compare it to is of similar size, material and shape.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Even when used my dad's carp rods felt too heavy personally with his reels which are 8000's don't think carp at range is for me personally

rayner

Reaction score
When fishing I sit with the rod on my knee, I always have done.
I never engage the bait runner until after I've landed a fish then I flick it on to give spare line to bring the landing net back.

mikench

Reaction score
Question for Matt! How do you clip up and operate the FS facility at the same time? Surely you have to unclip and mark the line somehow instead . I hardly ever clip up!;)