We pay our money, and?

dicky123

Reaction score
I read recently and article about how the many East European migrants are literally netting our waters of our coarse fish. The Police were heavily involved as well as the Environment agency. So wide scale was the problem, its been spoken about in Government.

One excuse was that maybe they did not understand our culture or language.:mad:

So my answer is this. The EA spend a shed load of our licence money for signage. Metal signs saying in Polish, Romanian, other, no fish are to be taken from these waters. The signs need to be metal on a metal pole and concreted into the ground so they cannot be easy moved. Very big fines or long community services as punishment.

Close to my home is the Grantham canal. It use to be a jack haven, but when the Polish immigrant arrived (not all I may add) they fished the place out. SIMPLE spinners no trace wire, sold to a local polish grocer fact. This could be my local drop shot water, but pointless fishing it now.

Again close to my home is a little carp lake, nice quite three small lakes. The owner told me (not hearsay) he had caught some Immigrants taking carp away for their barbecue.

Its time, its time more than time we ended this. The Environment Agency has to step up and give us value for our licence fee.:w

****y

thecrow

Reaction score
Said it all before, those that do this know its wrong they don't care that its wrong as they know the chances of being caught are slim to none, I have yet to see a list published by the EA/AT about EEs that have been caught killing and stealing fish, I wonder why that is?

I have a response from the EA from a FOI request that shows out of 130 reports of illegal fishing in my area just 6.1% were attended :mad: despite all the bull$!+ produced by both the EA and the other lot the figures prove that reports are not taken seriously so why bloody bother?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Said it all before, those that do this know its wrong they don't care that its wrong as they know the chances of being caught are slim to none, I have yet to see a list published by the EA/AT about EEs that have been caught killing and stealing fish, I wonder why that is?

I have a response from the EA from a FOI request that shows out of 130 reports of illegal fishing in my area just 6.1% were attended :mad: despite all the bull$!+ produced by both the EA and the other lot the figures prove that reports are not taken seriously so why bloody bother?

Yet try walking down the High St and drop a fag end, gestapo everywhere with cameras. The worlds gone mad.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Yet try walking down the High St and drop a fag end, gestapo everywhere with cameras.

Because someone is employed specifically to watch for litterers while the EA that keep taking our money through the fishing tax are more and more reliant on volunteers while the wangling truss continue to put PR out about the volunteers instead of getting the EA to do their job properly.

Surely that's nothing to do with the money they receive from the EA is it?

theartist

Reaction score
Because someone is employed specifically to watch for litterers while the EA that keep taking our money through the fishing tax are more and more reliant on volunteers while the wangling truss continue to put PR out about the volunteers instead of getting the EA to do their job properly.

Surely that's nothing to do with the money they receive from the EA is it?

Th Ea are doing their job properly they've done loads of flood prevention work to cover their backs come the next floods.

Plus all the EA bailiffs I've seen in the last decade - oh hold on it was just one, and I've only fished 100 different rivers in that time, I must have just missed them, unlucky or what :D

fishplate42

Reaction score
It seems to me that the checking is done mainly at commercial lakes. In the three years that I have been fishing, I have had my licence checked four times at commercial venues. At each venue, it has been a place where they will not sell you a day ticket if you have not shown a licence, so what is the point of that? Do they do it to say they have checked x-number licences to keep the figures up? I have never had my licence or permit (C&RT) checked on any other venue.

Makes you think...

Ralph.

theartist

Reaction score
Perhaps licence dodging and fish theft could be minimalized would be if it was tendered out to private companies who had the power to enforce on the spot fines or confiscate gear. Bit draconian I suppose but they'd make a lot of money down my local canal I reckon, people would eventually get licences and no longer take fish if there was a penalty.

I mention private companies as they EA won't enforce jack' even if there was an incentive to do so.

thecrow

Reaction score
IIRC when I used to fish in the Netherlands the police used to check our permits, one that was called "the big book" I think, cant see that happening here, maybe private companies would be the way to go? take parking wardens off the street and get them doing it :D

chrissh

Reaction score
When anything is reported to the EA nothing happens

I have had to call the EA twice in the past 4 years both times where weekends it was to report a grope of Eastern European fishing and tacking pike in the closed season I have video evidenced on my phone all I got back from the EA was a case number on the second time I call them was about the same group 2 weeks later and was told to call the local police on 101… it seems that the EA want Joe public to do their jobs for them for FREE!!!

theartist

Reaction score
There's money to be made that's for sure.

Here's a scenario.. What if all our licence fees went on policing waters and a profit making organisation enforced this? Would we benefit more as a result or be worse off than the current system, where the moneys go to the Ea and get allocated where they see fit?

thecrow

Reaction score
For sure something else would have to suffer as the cake can only be cut so many ways but whether that whatever would be as important as fishery destruction is another matter.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you actually want enforcement to be really effective, be prepared to pay an awful lot more for your licence. As it stands, enforcement and administration take up a significant proportion of licence revenues. Throw in a bit of fishery work (inc Calverton/restocking) and you're pretty much done. The only bit of EA activity that I'm happy to be stumping up for is Calverton and their stocking activity. Without that, we'd be as well served if there were no rod licence.

Where people are actually taking fish illegally (theft), I'm at a loss as to why anyone would contact the EA rather than the Police.

ken more

Reaction score
This thought just popped into my head whiles't reading this. I have fished quite a few, but not loads of "commercial" fisheries, and i have never been given a ticket that states i have permission to fish. (can't remember being asked for a license either for that matter) For fear of writing a book and boring people to death, maybe some places don't want it known how many people fish there, if its a cash in hand kind of operation:) Will go back and think it through a bit more thoroughly. Apologies folks, but i am trying not to talk out my bottom, difficult, if not impossible:D

fishplate42

Reaction score
I think the trouble with privatisation would be overzealous no-marks given a bit of authority handing out fines willy-nilly. I am not sure if it was here, but I read somewhere about a couple of kids, who were feeding their swim with corn, getting fined for littering the canal they were fishing on.

I think we should just go and police our own waterways with baseball bats. We could also sort out the dog walkers and cyclists while we are at it...

...RELAX! I am only kidding but something needs to be done if anything is going to change.

Ralph.

browndog

Reaction score
If only the same level of resources that goes to the protection of Salmon fisheries was given to Coarse fisheries.

Philip

Reaction score
If i was in charge the first thing i would do is make the onus on checking anglers having licences the responsibility of the people running the water. It should be made illegal to sell a ticket or club card to anyone not first showing a valid rod license.

No it wont solve the problem entirely but it sure will help as every fishing ticket seller basically becomes an EA license checker.

Richox12

Reaction score
It's pretty basic stuff. You have/make a law, but if you don't enforce it people don't obey it and don't respect it.

dicky123

Reaction score
Budget cuts:mad:

In France the 'Gard du pêché' have guns, now that scares the **** out of you. I've seen them opening opening day, putting guys in vans and taking all their gear away too. The French pay far less then us for fishing rights guys. Not that they have a good model as they still take most of what they catch:eek:

I wonder if we as a large body of anglers, put a petition together not for the government, but the E.A.?

Can you remember when the press got involved in the floods down south, Somerset levels if I recall? The EA dredged the river, pointless as we all know but it got something done. Maybe if the National press like the Daily Mail got involved they would love an anti immigrant story.:wh

My local angling club have found long lines on our rivers as well as the local canal:mad:

Philip

Reaction score
The French pay far less then us for fishing rights guys. Not that they have a good model as they still take most of what they catch

Not entirely true. Is a complcated system but for fishing public waters its going to cost you at least 95 euros for an annual full adult permit. You then may need to add on various options or local fees. There are some cheaper options but then it becomes more restrictive. Private waters..so basically day ticket or commercials are separate to this and will have thier own prices and fees.

Last edited: