Would you want to.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Lease your own water that is? And if so would you restrict access to only your closest and most trusted friends.

I remember this topic being discussed many years ago, no doubt inspired by the likes of Redmire Pool, Ashleigh and several other legendary waters.

I just wondered if any of you guys ever felt a similar compulsion/daydream.

I was in the fortunate position of belonging to three such waters some years ago, and although we didn't fish them to the exclusion of other waters they did remain for a number of years as almost a sanctuary. I suspect it would be much harder today for financial reasons.

But the question remains, would you?

robcourt82

Reaction score
Without a shadow of a doubt.
I suspect, like you, that such an oasis is harder and harder to find and even more difficult to fund these days.
I really enjoy carp fishing but I enjoy solitude on the bank even more and the 2 don't seem to go hand in hand any more.

mikench

Reaction score
I might if I won the Lottery but it wouldn't be as simple as it sounds what with trespassers or worse, predation, safety etc etc!. I would call it Magic Mere and you Derek would be one of the chosen few!:)

thecrow

Reaction score
My own water would be lovely although I would be careful about any "new friends" I acquired after having gained my own water :) and just to keep some away I would have carp in it :).

It might seem a tad ironic to some on here given my past but I think I would be constantly worrying about someone poaching it so to go with "my water" I would want a house fairly near as well.

rich66

Reaction score
House with a lake is my lotto win dream, nicely stocked & hopefully hidden away from view.
Would I share? Well I have no fishing friends I go it alone most of the time unless it's with my sons or brothers so I'd happily share with them. Don't think I'd have carp, but Crucian Carp Tench Roach Perch would be a definite.

B

binka

Most definitely yes.

Preferably on a virgin water but on the proviso that the lease was long enough to be able to enjoy the long term benefits of the work which would likely be necessary to get some good wooden platforms in and the stocking right.

I'm with rich66 on the lotto win dream, that really would be perfect and then everyone else can bog off and I would have the whole place to meself! :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Lease? No, not on my own. Leases, no matter how watertight they seem, are just too insecure to justify the investment of significant time and money. As part of a small syndicate, absolutely.

I'd happily buy a water given the chance. Whether anyone else would get to fish it much is debatable. Invited guests, no problem, but I doubt I'd give anyone blanket permission to come and go as they pleased. If I could genuinely afford to buy, there's no danger of me allowing paying customers.

greenie62

Reaction score
Been there - Done that - ALMOST!

Used to live with a lake on adjoining land at bottom of garden - fishing run by a local club - no effective bailiffing:(

First thoughts were "Great! - cheap fishing on my (back) doorstep!" - the reality was totlly different however.

Club didn't look after the water - seldom stocked it - or managed the stocking or the bankside or the fishing! Evenings/nights were interrupted (particularly during the school holidays) by youths 'bivvying-out' - shouting back and forth drunkenly - sneaking into our garden to relieve themselves - leaving litter everywhere!:mad: Frequent visits from police to gain access via the back garden to deal with complaints from neighbours - they had our address in t'database as closest point of covert access!:eek: - to 'bust' the pot-smokers:(

I used to fish the water occassionally - but got little joy from it - mostly flak from local dog-walkers - complaining about the nocturnal goings-on:eek:

I would not go through those times again - from choice - I'd want an exclusive 'garden-pond' type fishery - well-fenced and alarmed - preferably crow-proof!:eek::D

ian g

Reaction score
My wife has a life long love of horses and has always wanted somewhere we she could have enough land to keep her horse. She keeps looking at places in France and bribing me with a small lake or river access on the land . Might happen , might not but if it did the fishing would be invite only, I like a bit of peace and quiet when I fish , more important than results to me,

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Would I ? Like a shot !

But ideally I'd like to start from scratch rather than take over an existing one....with one or two exceptions. Assuming a bottomless well of money I'd have the place looked after by a couple of trusted mates with a bit of presence [ Big Dave & Big Phil] to keep herbets & guesters off and restrict access to friends and very well behaved people. I wouldnt even dream of trying to make it pay its way.

All carp and bream would have to be removed first of course....or not stocked in the first place.

Never going to happen though.

iain t

Reaction score
Running a Stillwater is a lot harder than most think. Firstly you will need a bottomless pocket. You can't just chuck a load of fish in it and sit back. There's maintenance of the grounds, fencing clearing weeds, tree to trimming, stopping any **** and Harry entering.Bailiffing, health and safety for staff and customers. Insurance. Then you have fish food, fish husbandry. That covers the day work then after that, you have the accounts to do, supplies to pay, Advertising. Even if the water is just for you and a couple of mates, most of the above still implies.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
I do own my most fished water and I do not share it. It is fished by friends on a "by invitation only" basis. Fortunately it is part of my tea-estate and is well policed and maintained. It is one of the finest things in my life.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Hello

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Would I?

Yes, in a heartbeat to be honest.

It would be a mixed fishery (with only a few Carp) and would not be open to the general public but based on a sort of syndicate basis.

It would be only semi-landscaped round the designated swims (note, swims not pegs) with the remaining areas maintained and allowed to be as natural as possible.

There would be no Cafe or food deliveries allowed, but anglers would be allowed to use a Kelly kettle or similar.

Natural baits only so, no pellets, and ground bait would be allowed in reasonable quantities.

There you are, that about nails it for me . . . . .

thecrow

Reaction score
I would have a shed on wheels that would run on rails that went all around the lake so I had somewhere comfortable to sleep while waiting for a bite from the many carp I would stock it would be moved around as needed by a diesel engine car converted to run on the rails (I could use red diesel then)

Only fish over 30lbs would be stocked (easy to get if you know where/how) I would leave any other insignificant fish in there as food for the pike/zander and perch I would stock, there would be no weed and all bars would be removed and hollows filled in with concrete, all trees would be removed from the perimeter, and only friends that owned 4lbs tc rods would be allowed anyone caught casting less than 100 yards would be banned, it would be protected by an electrified fence to keep the EA and anyone with a penchant for making guest appearances out.

Just Heaven

mikench

Reaction score
I do own my most fished water and I do not share it. It is fished by friends on a "by invitation only" basis. Fortunately it is part of my tea-estate and is well policed and maintained. It is one of the finest things in my life.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Hello

Do not be reticent about an open invitation to FM members as I am sure we could organise a trip over with little for you to do!:rolleyes:

Your own lake and curry! You are indeed blessed Lakhyaman!

Last edited:

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Do not be reticent about an open invitation to FM members as I am sure we could organise a trip over with little for you to do!:rolleyes:

Your own lake and curry! You are indeed blessed Lakhyaman!

FM Members are more than welcome. Just buy yourself a ticket and I will take care of the rest. Winter is a great time to be here.

All the best

Lakhyaman

john step

Reaction score
i do own my most fished water and i do not share it. It is fished by friends on a "by invitation only" basis. Fortunately it is part of my tea-estate and is well policed and maintained. It is one of the finest things in my life.

All the best

lakhyaman

hello

i like it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Actually I have this. A few of us clubbed together and bought the local club lake when the owners went bust.
It is rented back to the club who are totally responsible for all maintenance and
running costs.
It saved a local amenity from being filled in and used for a 4X4 vehicle adventure playground.
All the owners get is free fishing for life and the satisfaction of saving it.

DSCF0655_2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I have thought about this in the past and like allot of us my initial thought was great a lake of my own to fish as i please. However the more i thought about it the more i am convinced i would become bored stiff in a very short time. You would literally get to know every fish in there and every feature and i think it would become pretty tedious. I recon you would end up hardly fishing it in the end. The stock would become more like pets than quarry and this is before we even contemplate the upkeep side of things.

However taking money out of it i would still do it but i would do it more as a nature reserve than a private place to fish.