Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Would you want to.

Lease your own water that is? And if so would you restrict access to only your closest and most trusted friends.

I remember this topic being discussed many years ago, no doubt inspired by the likes of Redmire Pool, Ashleigh and several other legendary waters.

I just wondered if any of you guys ever felt a similar compulsion/daydream.

I was in the fortunate position of belonging to three such waters some years ago, and although we didn't fish them to the exclusion of other waters they did remain for a number of years as almost a sanctuary. I suspect it would be much harder today for financial reasons.

But the question remains, would you?

Default Re: Would you want to.

Without a shadow of a doubt.
    I suspect, like you, that such an oasis is harder and harder to find and even more difficult to fund these days.
    I really enjoy carp fishing but I enjoy solitude on the bank even more and the 2 don't seem to go hand in hand any more.

I might if I won the Lottery but it wouldn't be as simple as it sounds what with trespassers or worse, predation, safety etc etc!. I would call it Magic Mere and you Derek would be one of the chosen few!

Blog Entries

My own water would be lovely although I would be careful about any "new friends" I acquired after having gained my own water and just to keep some away I would have carp in it .

It might seem a tad ironic to some on here given my past but I think I would be constantly worrying about someone poaching it so to go with "my water" I would want a house fairly near as well.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

House with a lake is my lotto win dream, nicely stocked & hopefully hidden away from view.
    Would I share? Well I have no fishing friends I go it alone most of the time unless it's with my sons or brothers so I'd happily share with them. Don't think I'd have carp, but Crucian Carp Tench Roach Perch would be a definite.

binka Guest

Most definitely yes.

Preferably on a virgin water but on the proviso that the lease was long enough to be able to enjoy the long term benefits of the work which would likely be necessary to get some good wooden platforms in and the stocking right.

I'm with rich66 on the lotto win dream, that really would be perfect and then everyone else can bog off and I would have the whole place to meself!

Lease? No, not on my own. Leases, no matter how watertight they seem, are just too insecure to justify the investment of significant time and money. As part of a small syndicate, absolutely.

I'd happily buy a water given the chance. Whether anyone else would get to fish it much is debatable. Invited guests, no problem, but I doubt I'd give anyone blanket permission to come and go as they pleased. If I could genuinely afford to buy, there's no danger of me allowing paying customers.

Been there - Done that - ALMOST!

Used to live with a lake on adjoining land at bottom of garden - fishing run by a local club - no effective bailiffing

First thoughts were "Great! - cheap fishing on my (back) doorstep!" - the reality was totlly different however.

Club didn't look after the water - seldom stocked it - or managed the stocking or the bankside or the fishing! Evenings/nights were interrupted (particularly during the school holidays) by youths 'bivvying-out' - shouting back and forth drunkenly - sneaking into our garden to relieve themselves - leaving litter everywhere! Frequent visits from police to gain access via the back garden to deal with complaints from neighbours - they had our address in t'database as closest point of covert access! - to 'bust' the pot-smokers

I used to fish the water occassionally - but got little joy from it - mostly flak from local dog-walkers - complaining about the nocturnal goings-on

I would not go through those times again - from choice - I'd want an exclusive 'garden-pond' type fishery - well-fenced and alarmed - preferably crow-proof!

My wife has a life long love of horses and has always wanted somewhere we she could have enough land to keep her horse. She keeps looking at places in France and bribing me with a small lake or river access on the land . Might happen , might not but if it did the fishing would be invite only, I like a bit of peace and quiet when I fish , more important than results to me,

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Would I ? Like a shot !

But ideally I'd like to start from scratch rather than take over an existing one....with one or two exceptions. Assuming a bottomless well of money I'd have the place looked after by a couple of trusted mates with a bit of presence [ Big Dave & Big Phil] to keep herbets & guesters off and restrict access to friends and very well behaved people. I wouldnt even dream of trying to make it pay its way.

All carp and bream would have to be removed first of course....or not stocked in the first place.

Never going to happen though.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast