Closed-face Reels

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes mate the switch on the back looks every bit like an anti reverse but its not .
It locks the reel so you can turn the bell off.
It's a simple reel made for the dedicated backwinder try and get it sorted mate.
It's every bit as good as the larger 507 but without all the weight.
I had 3 years ago including the later master match in black.

bracket

Reaction score
Bracket don't get me started on centrepins vs closed face reels we have been there.lol.

trotter2.

No intention of rubbing you up the wrong way. I was brought up on a centre pin and am well aware of it's merits. I just find a closed face reel more versatile when trotting for silver fish that's all. Each to his own. Pete.

trotter2

Reaction score
H
trotter2.

No intention of rubbing you up the wrong way. I was brought up on a centre pin and am well aware of it's merits. I just find a closed face reel more versatile when trotting for silver fish that's all. Each to his own. Pete.

Did myself an injustice early on bracket said I had been using closed face reels 30 yrs its actually 40 mate.
Forgetting my own age now ;)
Regarding the above in a match situation there is only one reel I would use other than that I am saying nowt. :thumbs:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be giving the 501 a spin on Sunday then, 1.7 "Floatfish" be OK?:)

Only prob I can see you might have is line stick, the lower diameter/breaking strain lines seem to be emphasis the problem. If I where to use the 501 for trotting again i'd use a 4lb mainline and add a lower diameter bottom if necessary.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Dont know the reel you have but .

I purchased an NEW 507 mkII some time ago now , I duly got it home and loaded it with line and off out to try it .

Not good was the result it was very badly built with so much slap and wobble in the bobin carrier the gears were miles out the bearing were way out i checked out s few more all the same , this one is now as i want it i opted to correct the issues myself as i could see it was a general thing with them it took me several hours to correct all the issues but now i am happy it works well i have3 landed tench of 7lb carp to 10 lb on it without any issues even the drag is quite reasonable ..

PG ...

trotter2

Reaction score
The two 506 mk2 reels and the other 2 abu 706 models which I had both had some wobble on the bell when you turned the handles. I think they all do at least the ones I have seen do.
It was not major and did not stop the reels from working. It was more annoying than anything knowing the old models run perfectly true out of the box.
One thing I did notice which was a slight advantage (depending how you view it)
the newer reels had slightly more winding power than the original mark 1 models.
After the 1044 the quality diminished Imo.
The 1044 is slightly more heavy but has the build quality of the old mark 1s

Terry D

Reaction score
My 1044s are my go to reels for stick and waggler fishing. Still going strong and ever so simple, both in use and build. As for big fish, a friend of mine used to regulary leger for carp in the 3 - 4lbs range with 506s and 1.7lb Bayer main line without any problems at all. He was also on of our club's top match anglers.
Give them a try and if you can't get on with them you can easily sell them on.

trotter2

Reaction score
The new 507 works on a different drag system much like a conventional fixed spool with the drag connected to spool system not the bell.
I looked at them when they first came out on the market I never bought one because in my opinion there very big and heavy for a modern light match rod.
I am pleased I never as there has been major problems with the way the reels operate and are put together.
One of the main faults is the spool does not engage on the fixing lugs correctly.
Anyway I am not too bothered as I find a Daiwa tdr can do anything on the river from dace to chub fishing.

greenie62

Reaction score
The new 507 works on a different drag system much like a conventional fixed spool with the drag connected to spool system not the bell.
I looked at them when they first came out on the market I never bought one because in my opinion there very big and heavy for a modern light match rod.
I am pleased I never as there has been major problems with the way the reels operate and are put together.....

Similarly, I was tempted to try the 507mkII as an upgrade from my 506mkII, but when I had a feel of one in the tackle shop - I decided against because of the heaviness and clunky feel. I have persisted with the 506 but find it seems to be on the way out:eek::eek: Over the last 2 years it seems to have developed one small niggle after another!:(
- sticking bail-pin - preventing retrieve
- non-locking spool fixing lugs
- spare spools of slightly varying widths causing 'scuffing'
- erratic clutch engagement and action
- sticking anti-reverse switch
Alright - none of them are major 'stoppers' - apart from the latest trick with the bail-pin sticking open. This persists even though I have cleaned, lubricated and checked it, - it's back again after a dozen or so casts:mad:

I liked the initial ease of use of the Abu and feel of it when fishing - particularly the lack of 'bumping-off' fish when the bail engaged - not so keen on the lack of winding-power when hooking 'bonus' chub, barbel or trout when trotting for dace or roach:eek:

Thinking of trying a Daiwa 125M now their prices have come down to under £60 from a ton - What's the biggest difference I'd notice?

Shame that there's not much more choice in the market - all the (better?) old models have seemed to disappear!

rubio

Reaction score
Recently respooled my Daiwa120 ang gave it a outing on the river. I use cf reels quite often, and particularly like them for light waggler. I put 0.17 line on it to help with bedding in as mentioned by another post. Usually I leave the rod set up but without a rig attached. I've taken to carrying a few rigs, both stick and waggler on winders. Quick job then to select what I think is right for the conditions, and easy to switch if things change.
I also own 125m and 1044 abu. No particular favourite amongst the 3 of them. No doubt there would be some benefit to working out how to use a centre pin better (I aspire to moderately good currently)but when the wind blows I spend more time fishing with a cf. good for lots of things, less competent when summat really pulls back.

trotter2

Reaction score
The big difference with the 125 is it has a rear drag that actually works somewhat compared to the abus.
It depends if that's important to you .
They have a different feel which takes some getting accustomed to if you like me and used an Abu for too long.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I believe that centrepins and closed face reels have quite a bit in common. Many of their advocates will be of a certain vintage and have a background in river angling. Those that favour the CF are likely to have lived through the river match scene of the 70s and 80s, the heyday of the CF reel. The centrepin users are less likely to have had the match scene influence and many will be a touch older. One thing I can say is that it's rather rare to see anyone other than older anglers using CF reels on what little remains of the river match scene. I don't recall seeing or hearing of a centrepin being used by a matchman for many years. No matter how enthusiastic I am about either, I know I don't see either being used on the bank, unless it's by folks I know from this and other forums. I know plenty of anglers that own CFs, centrepins or both, but rarely, if ever, actually use them.

mikench

Reaction score
Sadly our youth has gone but certain items can take us back if only fleetingly to a byegone age which we think was better! CF reels are such,as are, in no particular order, a Triumph Stag, Porsche 911 sc, a BSA Airsporter, Levi 501's, Mateus Rosé, Skyleader R C gear and Superstar, Honda CB 750, Thorens turntables and dare I say it Normark rods!;)

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sadly our youth has gone but certain items can take us back if only fleetingly to a byegone age which we think was better! CF reels are such,as are, in no particular order, a Triumph Stag, Porsche 911 sc, a BSA Airsporter, Levi 501's, Mateus Rosé, Skyleader R C gear and Superstar, Honda CBS 750, Thorens turntables and dare I say it Normark rods!;)

I don't believe that all advocates of CF/centrepins, or Normark rods are simply indulging in nostalgia for the sake of it. I know I don't use anything for nostagia's sake, but I don't care how old something might be if I think it may perform better than the alternatives. I'd be using cane if I thought it would peform better (and it was significantly lighter). I didn't use any centrepin in my youth, and I didn't know anyone that did. Different story with CFs, but I don't use them now. No nostalgia there.

In a similar vein, I wouldn't have a turntable of any type given and actually use it. I quite partial to a nostalgia trip with my old Webley MKIII, but I'd go for my Steyr or AA in any situation where it actually mattered (hunting or competition).

silvers

Reaction score
Older anglers ...... how very dare you .... I'm only 49!!

Trotter2 and I have corresponded on this topic a couple of times in the past, so I'm amused by his volte face! He will probably accuse me of the same about turn.
I grew up with Mitchell 440a and ABU 501s .... so my casting technique is embedded in one-handed line release. Swing hook to hand, check bait, then recast underarm or sidearm - out of the left hand.
I abandoned the 501s in the mid 90s as the chub had outgrown their winding power, so have been a mitchell user now for many years.
More recently I've bought several mark 1 507s (far too costly back in the day) and use them for places like Shrewsbury. The 507 was originally designed as a pike and salmon reel.
I'd suggest an older reel from eBay - bit of pot luck with how well they've been looked after - but I bought 5 and only one is a dud.

An observation wrt. centrepins. Absolutely nothing to beat them when easing a heavy float rig through at slower than flow. But for me, much of my fishing is either on the drop or running through - so the pin offers little to no benefit. I do sometimes take one when faced with a river in flood, or just for fun when pleasure fishing - but for match fishing it's a very rare outing. In the summer I'm often fishing a 3 no.4 stick float or lighter .... or a waggler at 4-5 rod lengths .... so a fixed-spool reel is much better.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sadly our youth has gone but certain items can take us back if only fleetingly to a byegone age which we think was better! CF reels are such,as are, in no particular order, a Triumph Stag, Porsche 911 sc, a BSA Airsporter, Levi 501's, Mateus Rosé, Skyleader R C gear and Superstar, Honda CB 750, Thorens turntables and dare I say it Normark rods!;)

Outt'a that lot Mike, I had the Levi 501's but didn't like em, I preferred wranglers.
I had the BSA airsporter and mercury and loved 'em both.
I know normark rods have been around for quite a spell but the normarks I have are not very old really, they're where only produced about 13/15yrs ago (that's the first lot of the MKII's).

Times flying by and it seems to be gathering speed year on year....get your fishing in now before your too decrepit :eek: :eek:mg:.

nottskev

Reaction score
The Ryobi CF100 is undergoing investigations and hopefully repairs at a local reel surgery. I had a look at the Daiwa while I was there, and I'm considering....

Re. old stuff and nostalgia: my first CD player lasted 12 years before I traded it "up", still working fine, to a player with rave reviews. Which lasted 18 months. An amplifier bought in 1989 was "upgraded" 21 years later, still working fine, with its much vaunted replacement, which developed a buzz in one channel after 12 months. It also weighed next to nothing, as expensive durable materials had been carefully designed out in the intervening period.

So I'm not nostalgic about fishing gear; I just don't believe we live in a time of continual improvement for many kinds of consumer goods, and it makes sense to bring along with us the best we've found in earlier decades. And like a lot of people, I get a kick out of maintaining things and caring for them equivalent to some people's retail therapy buzz. Another thing old stuff does, aside from doing a fishing job, is to connect you to different stages in your fishing life. I recently dug out a Shakespeare Quattro light feeder rod for a trip to a big lake, and as well as enjoying its brilliant action, I was vividly reminded of the hundreds of River Erne bream it caught in the early 90's.

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

Did you really have a CB 750? I liked the Kawasaki 4's so much I had a Z650, Z750 and a GpZ750. I made a seatbox from ply that sat over the back seat like saddlebags to keep the height down and stop it sliding around. Rod bag went over the shoulder; had to watch it didn't scrape on roundabouts.

The last one was stolen and crashed in Manchester. The policeman who came round to tell me it had turned up was a laconic delight: "It's a bit knocked about, Sir, but we'd like to think the thief will still be limping."

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't I know it Ian! How are the chicks? I'll bet they are nearly fledged!;)

They're in the process of weaning at the moment Mike, they don't want to be weaned though, they prefer to be syringe fed :rolleyes:. Young parrots often make an ordeal of weaning :mad:.
They're looking quite smart now, tails sprouting proper etc.

I forgot to mention my old motorbike....it was a Yamaha RD 250 LC, it was a new thing to have a liquid cooled bike back then. It was a two stroke and the smell when you opened it up was great. A m8 of mine had it off me and used it for production racing and then sold it to another friend who had it less than a week and finished going head firt into a stone building destroying the bike and himself in the process! It was impossible to ride it slowly, everywhere I went it was red lined through all the gears. God only knows how I didn't kill myself on it.
I had a Suzuki X7 250 also which had been tuned up to it's limit and had a set of bean cans fitted (exhaust pipes) which blew oyur ear drums out if you happened to be standing on the pavement as I screwed it up the road lol.

Last edited: