Closed-face Reels

mikench

Reaction score
We are moving off cf reels but I am sure "innit" will indulge us! I had a Triumph Tiger cub which I had to keep a secret; all of 3 days and it had to go. The CB 750 was my dream bike on qualification ; 4 cylinders of sublime looks and power. It had to go when I needed the money for a deposit on a house along with a Porsche 924 which I couldn't really afford!

There are so many things I wish I had kept including an Intrepid Black Prince!!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are so many things I wish I had kept including an Intrepid Black Prince!!:)

I had one, passed down to me of me dad, I hated it.... hated the Michelle reels even more, I had the 410, 300 and the match, all shysters! The 501 was above and beyond them all :D.

mikench

Reaction score
Ah as Proust said " a remembrance of things past is not necessarily a remembrance of things as they were"

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
The new 507 works on a different drag system much like a conventional fixed spool with the drag connected to spool system not the bell.
One of the main faults is the spool does not engage on the fixing lugs correctly.
Anyway I am not too bothered as I find a Daiwa tdr can do anything on the river from dace to chub fishing.

That is a simple few seconds to solve the poor spool location if you look at the spring thatit clips onto on a flat surface you will see the problem , mine locates fully every time and does not fall off or wobble .

PG ...

trotter2

Reaction score
mikench;1433611 There are so many things I wish I had kept including an Intrepid Black Prince!!:)[/QUOTE said:
No disrespect mate but "Good grief" why would you want one of those
It was my first reel also, I still have it somewhere I am very attached to it as you can imagine:D
yours for £50:thumbs:;)

mikench

Reaction score
My first reel and one and only for 50 years or so. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!:)

---------- Post added at 06:20 ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 ----------

That is a simple few seconds to solve the poor spool location if you look at the spring thatit clips onto on a flat surface you will see the problem , mine locates fully every time and does not fall off or wobble .

PG ...

Could you expand on that a little MD? I don't think mine wobbles but if it does what am I looking for and what is the cure?:)

Last edited:

Reaction score
My Black Prince cost 20/6 and guess what I caught fish with it,slightly less expensive than a daiwa TDX(grossly overpriced imo),is the Whisker match(I think it's called)which is considerably cheaper,nearly £200's better,I think not,better yes,but not to that degree and guess what,it's still down to what the kn0b holding the rod knows that catches...:D

trotter2

Reaction score
mikench plenty on ebay mate go for between 5 to 15 boxed:thumbs::

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for that but somethings, like last nights curry, are not worth reliving;)

It was all I could afford in 1963 or thereabouts which tells you all one needs to know!:) Some of the prices asked and paid on eBay are a joke!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
My first reel and one and only for 50 years or so. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!:)

---------- Post added at 06:20 ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 ----------

Could you expand on that a little MD? I don't think mine wobbles but if it does what am I looking for and what is the cure?:)

Hi .. Sorry took so long to reply not been too good recently .

If you take the circlip off that holds the plate and drag clutch on put the drive plate on a flat surface mine did not have any of the leavs on the same level so it was a real dog to engage the spool since i leveled it all up it is a treat just tighten the draup up a little and the reel engages or disenges easily but does not woble around , Also worth a look at the actual keyholoe shaped location holes are slightly depressed to hold the spool dogs make sure they are all the same amount of depression i found all 4 were different .

The next bit was the actual carrier that the spool and drag is fitted to this was a seriously bad fit on the brass shaft so i formed a shim out of thin brass sheet i found i needed 5 thou this is now as close to perfect as i can hope for .
The Meshing of the gears and the bearing packing is another thing entirely .

I will try to get s few picturs to show what i mean .

PG ...

mikench

Reaction score
I am not aware of any faults on mine and it has worked faultlessly since I bought it handling several carp to 6lb( not intended!). However I will look at it again to check!

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
I am not aware of any faults on mine and it has worked faultlessly since I bought it handling serial carp to 6lb( not intended!). However I will look at it again to check!

If your engineering skills are anything like mine it's probably left well alone until something genuinely goes wrong. Better to find someone who knows them inside-out and have them do it.:eek:

mikench

Reaction score
No fear Rob I will leave it well alone and have no reason to fiddle with it! I will have a look though!:rolleyes:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I will await some pics from MD first!;)

I'll try to get some picture sorted tomorrow night when i am cleaning the reel after the days fishing at the club pool .

But basically if it does not make i scraping noise as you are winding in under load you should be ok mine had the spool catching on the winding cover as it wobbled on the shaft horrible .

PG ...

Raykent

Reaction score
I have a new 507mkll which does not always release the pick up pin when the button is pushed. This typically seems to occur when the line from the spool is coming out of the bell housing at anywhere between the 7 and 11 o'clock position. Has anyone else experienced this?

mikench

Reaction score
I always press the housing hard enough to hear the audible click to indicate line release . Occasionally I might need to do it twice but never a problem ! I love this reel and use it for most of my float fishing. I also have a 501 which is lighter but just as nice to use! I really like closed face reels!

Ps I read somewhere that if you reposition the handle to a certain position this issue rarely occurs ! I did whatever it was but cannot remember exactly what it entailed!

Last edited: