Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Closed-face Reels

There have been threads on this topic before, I know, but I'd like to hear current posters' views.

My trusty Ryobi Techno CF 100 closed-face has ground to a halt. I can't complain after 16 years of use. There's a problem with a spring in the mechanism that locks the spool and lets you twist the rotor off, which may or may not prove fixable. Two problems, actually. It wasn't working. Then it flew across the kitchen when I was removing it.

I'm up for buying a replacement, but which one?

I've had Abu 501's and 506's back in their day, and they were ok, but with larger spools with good chenille edging, the Ryobi managed line better, which is why I bought it in the first place.

Is anybody using a CF reel these days? If so, would you recommend it?

Btw, I have, and use, pins. I like them when fewer, bigger fish are the target. For bags of roach, that often move in and out, obliging you to cast here and there and fish more quickly, I like these CF's.

Default Re: Closed-face Reels

Hi Kev, I bought a lovely original 501 from Tigger which I really like and which I have caught several er bream to 4lb and roach coupled with the Hardy 14'

I liked it so much I bought a 507( heavier and with bb's) and love that also. I have paired it with a Mach 3 for silver fishing and have had , inadvertently several carp to 6lb on it with little fuss. It is a lovely reel to use and on windy days is perfect!

It comes with 3 spare spare spools( one deep) and some chenille strips. The spools had clearly bypassed quality control as I had to champher small bits off to smooth them off and glue on the chenille strip on one! That little click as you depress the top of the spool is addictive

So far I am delighted with both and prefer them to fs for float fishing with light lines. I have yet to try trotting with them!Go on Kev treat yourself! The 507 came from Poingdestres( spelling!) who had an offer on! You are welcome to have a try!

I used closed face reels for over 30 yrs since the mid 70s Do yourself a favour and buy a modern daiwa or shimano open faced reel. Preferably the former they will blow you away.
    Smoother trotting a drag system that works,and winding power you can only dream about.

both as good you can still get the spares for them and i thinck they are better than the new abu it mite just be me but i just dont like the look of the handle on the 507 with a plastic bit with two screws holding i on

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    I used closed face reels for over 30 yrs since the mid 70s Do yourself a favour and buy a modern daiwa or shimano open faced reel. Preferably the former they will blow you away.
    Smoother trotting a drag system that works,and winding power you can only dream about.
    I have a wide array of fs reels all bought in the last 18 months and whilst they all have their uses and their virtues , I still like the ABU's and who needs cranking power for roach and Rudd!

So far the Abu's haven't disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion I've got plenty of modern Shimano's. In fact I think the very latest ones are going backwards, but that's another matter. I just prefer the CF, with its beautiful simplicity and unbeatable short reach to the spool, for some types of fishing. I've used them since 1975, too, so I do know what their limitations are. Drags and winding power aren't really issues for roach fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I have a wide array of fs reels all bought in the last 18 months and whilst they all have their uses and their virtues , I still like the ABU's and who needs cranking power for roach and Rudd!

So far the Abu's haven't disappointed!
    One year ago I would have agreed with you

I don't understand why a lot of people have this notion that a closed faced reel is no good for larger fish. I've had my fair share of carp using a 501, probably hundreds of them back in the day (mid 80's). Ok, size wise they weren't anything to shout about by today's standards but back then they where decent sized fish with my biggest one being a little over 26lb. I had no problem using the 501 reel to catch them. I've used the 501 for most methods of fishing in the uk including sea fishing!....not ideal I know but I caught bass, flatties, dogfish, wrasse etc when using it.
    The one problem I used to get when trotting with the 501 was line bedding and it could be a genuine PITA.
    Regarding using fixed spool reels for trotting, i've used them occasionally and they've been ok, but I preferred to use the 501 until I could afford a centrepin reel (and actually bear to part with the cash for one) which is IMO the bees knees for trotting so none of the others get a look in when i'm going trotting. Casting isn't really an issue for me as I can manage to cast well enough with the centrepin reel.
    I recently got a daiwa 2500 TDR off a FM member and although I haven't used it yet I can see right away why many people like to use them for trotting...the reason being that they're easy to reach with your finger obviously making them more comfortable to use. I compared the TDR to my stradic FJ 2500 and the TDR spool is the best part of a half inch closer to the rod!
    I've never used the modern abu closed faced reels so can't really comment on them but if they're anything like the originals they'll be very good!

Over the years I have had 501s, 506s ,507s,1044s,704,706s, 506 Mk 2s,gold max507s
    There all about the same they will do the job.
    The early mk1s are better build quality.
    My personal favorite was a good 1044 single pick up pin model.
    I had a look at the new 507 but thought there were too big.
    Its a personal thing but if you really want an Abu replacement the 1044 with the quality metal body is my choice.
    I don't have any now just my 2 Daiwa tdrs.
    The Ryobi techno match first version in a green body takes some beating.
    Hope that helps

Having started out fishing with one, I have a bit of a thing for closed face reels. I persisted with them for many years, especially when it was breezy. However, I haven't used one seriously for many years now, despite owning a few. I occasionally look at old Abu 507s and anything current I come across. I always manage to resist temptation because I just know I wouldn't really use one.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast