Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default decline in rivers

i dont know if its just me but not caught many roach or dace this season i fish the trent most but the derwent and dove is no better

Default Re: decline in rivers

That should be a like by the way mate👍
    We have plenty if dace on the river Tees.
    But barbel and chub numbers are way down.
    If it keeps on going it will be a grayling and dace river with nowt else.

Blog Entries

Unlike many stocked still water venues a river is a constantly changing environment,

Some years there will be a huge number of fish spawned and surviving whereas in other years the year class may well be much smaller.

In my own local river the Hampshire Avon we have seen in the last couple of years a very good increase of both Roach and Dace, but it was a very different story about 4 years ago.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Are our rivers declining: DEFINITELY YES.

We are told that the rivers are cleaner but something is very wrong!

Problems include phosphates; for example, there are apparently 270 tonnes going in the Kennet each year, this problem must apply to all rivers.

Signal crayfish which apart from weakening the banks eat fish food and can make fishing intolerable.

Otters, mink, mitten crabs, cormorants: enough said!

It is said (?) that, because our drinking water is recycled, that the contraceptive pill is effecting the fish spawning?

Water abstraction; ask how many reservoirs have been built in the last 50 years!!!!!

Ask what the EA is doing about these issues, probably nothing?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of roach and dace in the rivers and streams here, certainly a great many more than my old stomping ground of the Thames tributaries have shown for a great many years. Might be because you never see another angler on the bank here...............
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

You don't mention where on the trent you are fishing, on the upper trent throughout Burton there are a lot of roach showing especially on Coors ac waters, also on Swadlincote d a a waters on the trent at Newton Solney the dace are showing and also roach and chub, they are both excellent clubs and well worth joining.

To sum up the streams where I live in Essex. What's a dace haven't caught one in years. Decline in small streams fishing as happened without a doubt as most are being over abstracted.

i have fished the trent power gen waters below and above clifton bridge notts fed fished at sawley pride of derby derby railway waters swarksyone trent enbankment so would you say the wights at burton coors have brrn as good as the last 5 years

Hi Sis,
    The dace on the fist gravels on what is called the old Stretch on trent lane in Newton Solney are very nearly back to the same numbers as they where in the 1970s its absolutely stuffed with them and they will stay there until the depths of winter, as for Coors A C check out their web site all the results are on there all with section weights etc,

Blog Entries

Why was my earlier post removed please???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast