Happy its getting cooler

shane99

Reaction score
The next few months should be good for Mr Perch, "honed' my approach with help from a few guys on here.

The next few months do seem to the best, any thoughts on what species get more active ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, although you can catch them year round, Chub come into their prime shortly. Once the leaves have fallen and the grass is laced with frost, I find myself in Heaven, you can't beat a cold winters day chasing Chub.

Also, I believe were coming up to what is known traditionally as Pike season, that of course being the 15th of October.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I imagine quite a few of the guys on here will be getting out thier Pins in search of Roach.

Septembers a Cracking month for allot of fish. If I can find the time I'd like to get the Carp rods out on the river as they often have a good feed up as the temps start to drop.

trotter2

Reaction score
As if by clockwork the grayling are starting to feed :thumbs:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Sep good for some big roach, Crucians can have a late splurge in Oct, Rudd the same in Nov given a mild day.

rayner

Reaction score
Cooler temps definitely suit me better, though the hotter days don't appear to have bothered the silver fish too much. I'm expecting punch to get good results on my changed venue.
Fish are still very high in the water just yet and very eager to snaffle caster.
Punch will have to wait.
Surprisingly I cooked a kilo of tares at the beginning of the summer and haven't taken any out of the freezer, caster fishing has been so good.

mikench

Reaction score
A storm is brewing here and the first rains for nearly 5 months are very likely any moment now! Suddenly it is fresher and the temperature has dropped from 29c to 23c in the last half hour! Lovely !;)

It may pass us by as is often the case!

iain t

Reaction score
I've caught most of my PB's when there is a crisp frost on the grass. Hit the bank at 4 AM when it's still dark. I find November to February is the best time of the fishing season.

B

binka

It felt ruddy cool at half six this morning after driving through thick fog, 8° was the starting temperature by the river.

Makes me wonder how we ever do it when it barely gets above freezing during the winter but I guess that's the advantage of a gradual decline, it helps you acclimatise.

I didn't feel acclimatised this morning despite the thick jumper and bib 'n brace...

nottskev

Reaction score
I used to enjoy the winter river fishing more than the summer.... before I moved to live near the Trent. The fish, as in most rivers, were dispersed throughout in the summer, but shoaled up in the winter, and we knew where to find them on the Dee, the Severn, the Wye, the Weaver..... and the best catches were made over winter and at the back end. At the moment the Trent is alive with shoal fish, but I'm expecting I won't be able to get a bite on the float in a couple of months. When I ask lifelong locals who know the river well what happens, they tell me, as if I'm daft to ask the question, it's a big river and no-one knows where the fish go, an answer I never felt explained anything. So it's a short season round here, and I'm not looking forward to the frosts that end it. It's some compensation that the Derwent will fish better for chub and grayling in the colder weather, and there are a couple of good winter Soar stretches for roach.

shane99

Reaction score
I've caught most of my PB's when there is a crisp frost on the grass. Hit the bank at 4 AM when it's still dark. I find November to February is the best time of the fishing season.

Yes, later dawn & earlier dusk times generally makes being there at those times a lot easier in the coming months.