Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Talking of chairs...

Not wanting to hijack The Crow's Thread, I have been looking at chairs/stools for roving. Most of my fishing has been static or totally on the move, when dropshotting on the Regent's Canal.

You can imagine how surprised we were to see an advert for nice looking stools for £1.00 each. There had to be a catch and there was - they are tiny! They available from Poundland. Sue bought one anyway and trying it out she decided she probably could use one. Absolutely no use to me!

As It turned out it is ideal on a sloping bank as your feet are lower than the ground the stool is sitting on. As you can see, Sue looks happy sitting on it. Next to Sue is my really cheap haversack-stool. To be honest the stool is okay but the bag is rubbish. Every time I use it I can hear the stitching giving way and it is already holed. The stool is useable bit it is not great. The thing only cost £15.00 including delivery. I should have know it was going to be flimsy. There is a Shakespeare branded bag-stool that looks better at about £35.00 but I have not seen one in the flesh, so to speak.

Now I am looking for suggestions for small, lightweight stools or chairs that we can port in or on a rucksack. Any suggestions. It does not to be incorporated as a bag/stool as I am thinking a separate bag might even be a better idea being easier to get at while sitting on the stool.

Ralph
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My fishing blog

Default Re: Talking of chairs...

Could you not cut the bag from the stool, and use the stool on it's own with a different bag?
    I may be old, but I ain't dead yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slaphead View Post
    Could you not cut the bag from the stool, and use the stool on it's own with a different bag?
    Yes, I did think about that and I may well do, but I was just thinking there might be a better solution out there I had not stumbled upon.

Ralph.

My fishing blog

I've been wondering about a bean-bag, lightweight and adaptable to any shape of bank'n'butt, but take up loadsa room... has anyone tried one?

I have a camo waterproof cushion which was meant for kneeling on in Air rifle shooting which I intend to try when I go light!!! As likely as Nelson getting his eye back as my Grandad used to say

It could be sat on and is just stuffed with foam balls . I plan to put some of the Pva type things in when I receive a package protected by them so I have a ready supply to hand so to speak!
    Last edited by mikench; 03-09-2017 at 08:21.

Blog Entries

Funny you guys should mention bean bags and cushions. Sue had said that the other day while we were walking along the Military Canal. I dismissed the idea at the time.

Thinking about it this morning I had a look at camping stuff and discovered 'self inflating' cushions! I can only assume they are filled with a foam that will crush down when rolled up with the valve open and 'self inflate' as the foam expands again. Sounds like the ideal solution to sitting on natural banks.

Go Outdoors and several other places seem to sell much the same thing. Has anyone tried one of these?

Ralph.

My fishing blog

This is mine;

camo kneeling cushion - Google Search

The page contains a few more ideas Ralph!!

You guys can still kneel down and more importantly get up again?

I've been gardening for the past day or two, half hour working, two hour rest and repeat. Oh to have strong knees and back again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    This is mine;

camo kneeling cushion - Google Search

The page contains a few more ideas Ralph!!
    I see, thanks. Do they work as I surmised?

They look like the answer to me for sitting on a bank. I think I am going to dump the flimsy bag on my rucksack/stool and use the stool when we are on level (ish) ground. I will just use one of my other fishing bags for now. The art of this is not to overload yourself (myself!) with too much gear...

Ralph.

My fishing blog

Getting up again - I'm at the point of considering buying a doggy-spike and a length of rope with loops tied in, anyone got any other ideas?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast