Tying main line to hook length

nottskev

Reaction score
Loop to loop for me, apart from the heavier gear for barbel, when it's a swivel. Not because I think it's stronger; a swivel provides a stop for the bead that stops the heavier leads that are often involved. I've had line break anywhere and everywhere else, but never once at either mainline loop or hooklength loop. I've used micro-swivels in place of the last shot on running water, but I'm not sure how much they help reduce spin, as that's also affected by the bait you use, how you mount it and how you retrieve.

Anyone tried this? The angler associated with it (not **** Walker, this time) has impeccable credentials

How to tie Alan Scotthorne's Hooklength Knot — Angling Times

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know what you mean re Grayling and spent ages tinkering with set ups to negate the dreaded loss ratio. For me the shotting pattern and the way I played the fish for the first few seconds was key to eliminating losses and a result of fine tuning this I now suffer few. Like you say this could all change were I to change line, rod or even hook pattern so may not work for everyone as our gear and techniques are all different.

Imo the worst thing anyone can do with grayling is play them overly gently, especially if using a soft rod. I remember using a normark microlite and that day I lost several of the first grayling I hooked. After that I kept the pressure on quite hard keeping a serious bend in the rod as I played the fish up river against the strong flow and I didn't loose any after that. A good strike also helps hook grayling as their hard bony upper lip can deflect a hook if it's not driven home hard enough and this often makes people think they're bumping fish off/pulling out of them which is quite the opposite really. I also use micro barbed hooks which helps keep them attached.
I can't say i've ever had a problem with grayling twisting my line up though as Sam has had.
That's just my personal findings of course and others will have their own ideas.

john step

Reaction score
Loop to loop normally.
However some places where I fish I have to try to balance finesse for silvers/perch and the probability that during the session I will hit a carp. Not wanting to leave a hook in a fish in these circumstances I now use 6lb Drennan hooklink sinkbraid which is very fine and supple to a micro swivel.

I can then up the mainline a bit to 6 and feel fairly safe.

Sam, if you read this. Re your link to Drennan link swivels. Drennan explains the uses for the various sizes in the blurb but has somehow forgot to state which way round the sizing is numbered.

Is it the same way round as hook sizes?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think it's probably pertinent to mention that me using micro swivels when float fishing isn't entirely down to countering line twist. The main driver was actually to eliminate the need for a dust shot "dropper" on a longer hooklink.
The quick snaps I'm currently using also mean that I can change a hooklink very quickly. If I wish to "move" the dropper, I just tie up a longer, or shorter, hooklink. I did have some concerns about presentation and catch rates initially. However, I've been using these relatively short hooklinks, in conjunction with micro swivels, for a couple of years now. Though it's hardly scientific, I've not noted any downturn in catches. Initially, I did just intend to use the method on flowing water, where I suspected the impact would be less, but I've been doing it on stillwaters for the last year to eighteen months.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam, if you read this. Re your link to Drennan link swivels. Drennan explains the uses for the various sizes in the blurb but has somehow forgot to state which way round the sizing is numbered.

Is it the same way round as hook sizes?

Yes, the higher the number the smaller they are.

trotter2

Reaction score
I just use a standard water knot for hook length to main line ,its small and easy too do with wet hands.
For the last few month I have gone back to fishing direct (no hook lengh)
I personally find I get less line twist. I am going to stick with this method at least for now

Bracket how do you form the sliding loop .?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just use a standard water knot for hook length to main line ,its small and easy too do with wet hands.
I personally find I get less line twist. I am going to stick with this method at least for now

For the majority of my float fishing I fish straight through, I have done for as long as I can remember and I prefer it. I often do when legering but only line of 4 to 6lb, any higher or lower and I have a bottom.

bracket

Reaction score

trotter 2. I use a grinner knot. The link below is how a professional would tie it.

How to tie a (UK) Grinner knot or Uni knot - YouTube

This next link is a modest home video of how I tie it. Two different technics but the end result is the same.

YouTube

Pete.