Tying main line to hook length

sheffields12

Reaction score
How do you tie yours?

I tend to just do a simple main line through loop, wrap round 7-8 times and then pull tight. However, I've noticed that the finer the line i use (Such as 4lb) the knot will just slip away too easily!

It's the only knot I really know, so looking forward to seeing hearing how everyone else does it!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Yeah, a second vote for loop to loop (assuming the hooklength is a pre-bought one). However, I would always use a figure of eight knot to make the loop, not just a common overhand loop.

If I'm tying up the hooklength myself then I might use a water knot to tie the two pieces of line together.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Other than for Carp and Barbel rigs then the loop-to-loop has served me well for decades . . . . . . I is simple to make and simple to take apart too

sam vimes

Reaction score
For decades I used to use loop to loop for all my float fishing. I found figure eight knots to be far stronger than double overhand for making those loops. However, for the last year or two, I've been messing around with swivels and short (5-6") hooklinks. I mostly use the smallest micro swivels for the task. However, I've moved onto the micro quick snap swivels along these lines. The swivel replaces the dust shot that I'd invariably use as a dropper on a longer hooklink. The swivels are attached to the mainline using either palomar or blood knots, depending on whether I'm using braid or mono.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been using the Cralusso quick change swivels for the past couple of years, didn't realise Drennan were now selling them, they look identical.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've been using the Cralusso quick change swivels for the past couple of years, didn't realise Drennan were now selling them, they look identical.

I bought the Cralusso first, then a load of cheap versions from China (silver finish, unfortunately). The Drennan have only just come to market in the last few weeks. Though a few sellers have them on ebay, I've yet to see them in any of my local shops.

rubio

Reaction score
Water knot 90% of the time. Unless thickness of lines is too different. It's smaller and quicker, and I can tie it in the dark without having to switch on a light and scare off huge chub.
Obviously it's something else that is scaring off the big uns!

theartist

Reaction score
Loop to loop acts as a great shock absorber and is a strong a knot as any even though it's not really a knot, never been too keen on swivels especially with short hooklengths as you lose that stretch the loop to loop gives

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It depends on the line strength/diameter i'm using. In lighter mono's I prefer to use a micro swivel but if i've no swivels a loop to loop. I prefer to use a normal swivel and tie both the mainline and the bottom to it, i'm not a lover of the quick change swivels as i'm not really a fan of loops as connections.
In heavier strengths (6lb and upwards) I use either a swivel or a uni to uni knot depending on how i'm fishing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Loop to loop acts as a great shock absorber and is a strong a knot as any even though it's not really a knot, never been too keen on swivels especially with short hooklengths as you lose that stretch the loop to loop gives

I guess that me telling you that I'm mostly using braid and fluorocarbon hooklinks is liable to give you palpitations then!;):D I'm not particularly bothered about stretch. I choose my rods accordingly to compensate for the lack of line stretch.

It was hooklinks twizzling that lead me down the road I'm on. I did a lot of mucking around with length of hooklinks and the size of the loops before I did go that way though. I never did find a really effective way to stop, or reduce, twizzling when using loop to loop. However, I did find that bigger (to a point, loops did seem to help, but that was at the expense of presentation.

Reaction score
I believe I use a single overhand loop,for all fishing,never had a problem,never,ever slipped,I give fish some heavy grief at times without issues,my belief is people do not tighten knots correctly,then suffer the consequences,my knots are neat,small,I've used them boat fishing at sea,fly fishing,barbelling and my coarse fishing,float and lead...

bracket

Reaction score
For the pole I use loop to loop so I can change hook lengths without altering the depth. For float fishing the river I tie a sliding loop on the reel line coupled with a tucked blood knot on the hook length. These tighten down to a neat little knot in the line which is super strong and reduces the line twist loop to loop can cause. Pete.

theartist

Reaction score
It was hooklinks twizzling that lead me down the road I'm on. I did a lot of mucking around with length of hooklinks and the size of the loops before I did go that way though. I never did find a really effective way to stop, or reduce, twizzling when using loop to loop. However, I did find that bigger (to a point, loops did seem to help, but that was at the expense of presentation.

I don't understand the hooklinks twizzling, Bracket mentions similar yet I've never had it could it be something other than loop to loop causing this?

seth49

Reaction score
Loop to loop on Stillwaters, size twenty swivel on rivers, figure of eight knot for loops,

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think line twizzle/twist is far worse the lower in diameter you go. The bait you use can cause it and even the way you retrieve your gear against the flow etc etc.
Line twist isn't really a problem for me as for the biggest part of my trotting i'm using 6lb right through and it doesn't twist so easy although if I use two or three pieces of corn it can sometimes come back like a propeller and twist the line up so I often strike it off before retrieving.
I've found a swivel can sometimes help "a little" when using lower diameter lines but as far as I can see the swivel doesn't swivel very easily and even 6lb line gets twisted before there's enough pressure on the swivel to actually make it swivel...if you get my meaning.
When I use a swivel to join lighter lines, that's the main reason "just to join lines" as they just don't seem to rotate easily enough.

I would imagine that's why Sam uses fluro as it might be that bit stiffer and force the swivel round rather than twist up?

Last edited:

sheffields12

Reaction score
Good to hear all the different opinions :)

I'll probably try loop to loop the next time I'm out!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't understand the hooklinks twizzling, Bracket mentions similar yet I've never had it could it be something other than loop to loop causing this?

There can undoubtedly be other factors, but I've found loop connections to be a significant factor, but it's one you can eliminate if you wish to. For my fishing, the baited hook is a contributor. Using a double caster or maggot can act like a propeller, especially in the fast water I tend to fish, but even a single bait can cause it to some extent. Then there are the fish themselves. Grayling and dace tend to make up the bulk of my catches, they both have a nasty habit of twisting and spinning in the current. Not surprisingly, I'm not keen on eliminating bait and fish from my angling. I've also found that some lines seem to be more prone to twisting up than others.

theartist

Reaction score
There can undoubtedly be other factors, but I've found loop connections to be a significant factor, but it's one you can eliminate if you wish to. For my fishing, the baited hook is a contributor. Using a double caster or maggot can act like a propeller, especially in the fast water I tend to fish, but even a single bait can cause it to some extent. Then there are the fish themselves. Grayling and dace tend to make up the bulk of my catches, they both have a nasty habit of twisting and spinning in the current. Not surprisingly, I'm not keen on eliminating bait and fish from my angling. I've also found that some lines seem to be more prone to twisting up than others.

Yes it's a fine line (no pun intended) between having the perfect balance to your set up and having problems. I rarely use double bait as it's either single on a small hook or bunches on bigger so that probably helps my cause. I know what you mean re Grayling and spent ages tinkering with set ups to negate the dreaded loss ratio. For me the shotting pattern and the way I played the fish for the first few seconds was key to eliminating losses and a result of fine tuning this I now suffer few. Like you say this could all change were I to change line, rod or even hook pattern so may not work for everyone as our gear and techniques are all different.