Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Tying main line to hook length

How do you tie yours?

I tend to just do a simple main line through loop, wrap round 7-8 times and then pull tight. However, I've noticed that the finer the line i use (Such as 4lb) the knot will just slip away too easily!

It's the only knot I really know, so looking forward to seeing hearing how everyone else does it!

Default Re: Tying main line to hook length

Loop to loop - simple and safe.

Yeah, a second vote for loop to loop (assuming the hooklength is a pre-bought one). However, I would always use a figure of eight knot to make the loop, not just a common overhand loop.

If I'm tying up the hooklength myself then I might use a water knot to tie the two pieces of line together.

Blog Entries

Other than for Carp and Barbel rigs then the loop-to-loop has served me well for decades . . . . . . I is simple to make and simple to take apart too

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

For decades I used to use loop to loop for all my float fishing. I found figure eight knots to be far stronger than double overhand for making those loops. However, for the last year or two, I've been messing around with swivels and short (5-6") hooklinks. I mostly use the smallest micro swivels for the task. However, I've moved onto the micro quick snap swivels along these lines. The swivel replaces the dust shot that I'd invariably use as a dropper on a longer hooklink. The swivels are attached to the mainline using either palomar or blood knots, depending on whether I'm using braid or mono.

I've been using the Cralusso quick change swivels for the past couple of years, didn't realise Drennan were now selling them, they look identical.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    I've been using the Cralusso quick change swivels for the past couple of years, didn't realise Drennan were now selling them, they look identical.
    I bought the Cralusso first, then a load of cheap versions from China (silver finish, unfortunately). The Drennan have only just come to market in the last few weeks. Though a few sellers have them on ebay, I've yet to see them in any of my local shops.

Water knot 90% of the time. Unless thickness of lines is too different. It's smaller and quicker, and I can tie it in the dark without having to switch on a light and scare off huge chub.
    Obviously it's something else that is scaring off the big uns!
    It's a short life, enjoy every fin

Loop to loop acts as a great shock absorber and is a strong a knot as any even though it's not really a knot, never been too keen on swivels especially with short hooklengths as you lose that stretch the loop to loop gives

It depends on the line strength/diameter i'm using. In lighter mono's I prefer to use a micro swivel but if i've no swivels a loop to loop. I prefer to use a normal swivel and tie both the mainline and the bottom to it, i'm not a lover of the quick change swivels as i'm not really a fan of loops as connections.
    In heavier strengths (6lb and upwards) I use either a swivel or a uni to uni knot depending on how i'm fishing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast