Life Jackets?

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have been reading with sadness the reports of two anglers swept off the rocks in Cornwell over the weekend. The brothers, 21 and 30 died. This is particularly poignant to me as that is the same age difference that exists between me and my brother. I don't know the full details and I do not want to suggest they were doing anything wrong. It just made me think about my intentions.

I have been wanting to do some LRF myself and I had never considered wearing a life jacket. If I had been there I doubt if I would have been wearing one but this terrible event has made me think about it. I am a confident swimmer but I am wondering if life jacket might be a sensible move.

This morning I have been looking at what is available and I am staggered at the cost, not that it matters if it is value for money as I have no idea what goes into them. The items I have seen also look as if they are intended to maybe keep your head above water if you fall over in a river/stream but not in the sea to support the whole body.

Do any of you guys use life jackets and if so what do you recommend. I am assuming that no one item will cover all occasions.

Ralph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I doubt it's a terrible idea. At least they'll be able to find your body when you've been smashed against the rocks repeatedly!:eek::(

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys use life jackets and if so what do you recommend. I am assuming that no one item will cover all occasions.

The only time I am in a boat is when fly fishing a large reservoir or lake.

In my youth I did a heck of a lot of sailing, both dingy and large craft and would never consider going afloat without a life jacket.

I use one similar to this . . . .

Harveys Lightweight Plus Automatic Gas Lifejacket - Marine Warehouse Ltd

It doesn't get in the way when casting or playing a fish and it inflates automatically on entering the water . . . . . . they are not cheap but then, what value does one put on one's life?

Even the very best swimmer can only float while conscious . . . .

theartist

Reaction score
Ralph,

If you want a crack at LRF fishing check out Neil1970's vids despite being called light rock fishing most of it takes place of harbour walls etc and these are the best areas to start out. Although they can be dangerous too as can any bit of water, i've worn a lifejacket this year fishing the docks near brighton and it just gave me piece of mind as the water was so deep. I should really wear it when deep wading on the Severn but I just rove too much.

There's two main types of LJ - the ones that self inflate and the padded foam types, they are rated in Newtons and the higher the number the more bouyancy they have. You can also get ones with pockets which can double up as a fishing jacket which is on my shopping list when I get a few bob

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Ralph, I spent a very pleasant summer a few years ago sailing around Vancouver Harbour and it's many islands and fjords. I used a 175N auto inflate vest similar to this one Seago 175N Lifejackets and all was well, even when I did eventually suffer a dunking.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, certainly food for thought there.

I don't suppose life jackets would have done much for the Allen brothers. I don't know if they were or not but the sea can be very treacherous in places and we should all think twice before fishing in potentially dangerous places. The problem is, at the time it may not have looked dangerous, and it is very easy to look back in hindsight, which is alway twenty-twenty.

I am sure I would not have given it much thought before today. It says in the reports, I have read about this tragic incident, that the brothers were experienced anglers. I can't imagine what the family are going through at the moment. Very sad.

Ralph.

chrissh

Reaction score
Lifejacket buoyancy is measured in Newtons (N). Ten Newtons equals 1kg of flotation. If you are buying for an adult you must get a level 150 or aboth lifejacket designed for an adult's weight.

edsurf

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, certainly food for thought there.

I don't suppose life jackets would have done much for the Allen brothers. I don't know if they were or not but the sea can be very treacherous in places and we should all think twice before fishing in potentially dangerous places. The problem is, at the time it may not have looked dangerous, and it is very easy to look back in hindsight, which is alway twenty-twenty.

I am sure I would not have given it much thought before today. It says in the reports, I have read about this tragic incident, that the brothers were experienced anglers. I can't imagine what the family are going through at the moment. Very sad.

Ralph.
I was surfing in Cornwall last week and the surf was around two foot, I surfed for two hours, it that time two single waves came in double that size from nowhere. they are called clean up waves, as it cleans up most people in the line up who are expecting two footers.so its easy done. plus I did some coasteering which included wild sea swimming and deep water exits up cliffs , the swell does rise very quick on the cliff and rock areas , I did see a couple of guys fishing but no life vests on. you have to respect the ocean and understand how it works.

Keith M

Reaction score
For a few years I used to live in Helston in Cornwall and back in 1975 my wife and I were walking along Porthleven beach with our dog (near the lizard in Cornwall) and it was a nice sunny day and the sea was fairly calm and a slightly bigger wave started coming in and we both laughed thinking that it would come up to our knees and wet us a bit, but it just carried on coming in and washed us off our feet onto some rocks behind us and then started to drag us out to sea as it receded.

I managed somehow to get hold of a rock with one hand and my wife with my other hand and stop us from being dragged out any further and my dog had been smashed against a rock but had managed to get safe.

These situations with freak waves are not that rare in the West Country at certain times of the year so it certainly pays to be very careful even when the sea looks fairly calm.

Keith

Last edited:

richiec

Reaction score
If you are fishing off rocks it should be possible to set up a security rope using climbing nuts and cams.

steve2

Reaction score
I always wear one when boat fishing but the only time I have needed one was falling in the river when bank fishing. Falling in a river can be just as dangerous but how many of us consider wearing one on the river bank, I don't.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
i have fished off rocks on a quite a few occasions, you have to watch very carefully where you put your feet all the time, concentrate because one moment of abstraction and you slip, sods law. Its the weed and algae to be careful of, very slippery when wet and look for holes etc. Stating the obvious maybe but it is the other reason people come a cropper. Flat jetties can be bad if covered in weed as well. Wear good boots with some tread on them.
Take some antiseptic cream with you, if you do slip and graze yourself for some reason it can become infected more then normal; a small first aid kit is not amiss.
And tides, always be aware of tides, lows, high, springs neaps, check a good tide table before going, always be aware of where the high tide mark is and always look behind you every few minutes, make sure you always have an escape route; very important that..
Watch for a while from a way back and observe where the waves are breaking over the rocks, calculate the safest place to fish away from the breaking spots, where the maximum farthest they come over the rocks, always be aware of the line, that being where the biggest waves reach. 10/15 minutes doing this before you go to your spot could save you a load of trouble.
And last but not least, always let someone know where you are and when you will be back.
I know a lot of that may seem obvious but many people get caught by not using a bit of common sense.
Life jackets a good idea but even with one, NEVER STOP THINKING and WATCHING when fishing off rocks, the waves, the floor, the weather, behind you, state of the tide- don't get caught out.
The sea, a bit of a force to reckon with, think how much a bucket of water weighs and then multiply that by X.

Last edited:

reeltime

Reaction score
Get a hammer action auto inflate and make sure it has crotch straps

flightliner

Reaction score
PJ/ f4luckies, would your/s LJ be ok to wear with bulky winter clothing and still be comfortable, flat not inflated until needed in an emergency.I ask as much of my fishing at certain times sees me using chest waders, easy to see a situation where a simple slip in relatively shallow water can have them fill up and give major concern?

reeltime

Reaction score
Please when wearing chest waders wear a belt to prevent them filling up should you go over

seth49

Reaction score
Best thing I had for boat fishing at sea, was one of the one piece flotation suits, kept you warm and dry, and if you fell in would support you easily, bit bulky if you had a lot of walking to do, but very good piece of kit.

greenie62

Reaction score
Best thing I had for boat fishing at sea, was one of the one piece flotation suits,.....

I've got one for sea-fishing too - only problem I had with it was coming back from a trip out of N.Northumberland - cold going out, but sun came out and as we turned for home got so hot I started stewing in it! Had to unzip it and shed the top-half down to my waist to cool-off a bit:eek: When SWMBO saw the boat coming-in - swaddled-up on the end of the quay - she couldn't believe we'd had such good weather a mile or so away, out at sea.:eek:

Have been tempted to use it for winter-fishing on local waters but I fear the ribbing I'd get for being dressed in bright dayglo orange as opposed to a dull olive bib n brace - probably get me thrown-off Club Waters!:):eek:mg: