Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Angling direct "king of the catch" competition...

Hi guys, i was wondering if anybody on here has entered into Angling Direct the king of the catch competition?

I have a entry in the predator section with a brace of UK caught catfish, one was 70lb and the other was 71lb both PB's.

Im currently in first place but i'm looking to extend my lead, so i was hoping that maybe i could gain some support for anybody reading this, it would mean alot to me and it only takes up 30 seconds of your day...

below is a link to my entry:

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/comp...tor/sean-cully

all you have to do it click the yellow vote button and enter your email address, you will then receive a email from angling direct just asking you to verify the vote.
    that's it, done.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VERIFY THE VOTE OR IT WILL NOT COUNT..

THANK YOU...

Default Re: Angling direct "king of the catch" competition...

not sure if its smart move posting this to your direct competition

Not me! If your catches were of roach, Rudd or indeed any fish other than catfish I may have responded ! I cannot think of any action or words that are in anyway favourable to such a hideous fish! ........ and I do like fishing!

lol, mike they are great fish, its my first season targeting them, just trying something different through the summer months..
    once the temperature drops i'll be back on the river and lakes after the carp and barbel.

Blog Entries

Moderator hat: off - personal comment . . . . .

Is it really in the spirit of the competition to be touting for additional votes online?

Surely, in the interests of fairness this should not be allowed?

We (us anglers) had a very similar thing happen years ago when a well known fishing publication touted for votes for an angler in the BBC SPOTY competition and the angler was subsequently banned from the competition . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Hi, peter,

Sorry if i was not supposed to allowed to submit this post, i honestly thought it would be ok, i was merely looking to gain support from fellow anglers.
    i wouldn't like be removed from the forum for it, that's for sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cully@wcc View Post
    Hi, peter,

Sorry if i was not supposed to allowed to submit this post, i honestly thought it would be ok, i was merely looking to gain support from fellow anglers.
    i wouldn't like be removed from the forum for it, that's for sure.
    Hi,

My comment was a personal one, hence the reason for taking the Mod' hat off . . . . first

I just think that if the entry has sufficient merit then surely that alone should be enough to win . . . . ?

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

i'd like to think your right peter as my brace of 70s is a amazing catch, but yeah it's about the pushing to get the votes too unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by cully@wcc View Post
    i'd like to think your right peter as my brace of 70s is a amazing catch, but yeah it's about the pushing to get the votes too unfortunately.
    I don't understand this, your brace of 70's could get outvoted by a brace of 60's, is that it. Sorry for being thick but I don't know much about competitions, just curious.
    And being thick again probably, I was a bit wary, a stranger turns up and asks me to click a link and give my email address in bold letters, I am not suggesting it is anything untoward but it was just my first thought; I will skip that just in case..sorry about that but you know what I mean.
    Last edited by markg; 11-09-2017 at 15:04.

Disclaimer: I do everything web-related professionally for over two decades.

Guys you have to realize that these contests are in no way about the best catch or the fish at all. Great example of that are carp entries approved in coarse category (instead of carp category).

AD doesn't care about who wins, all ot cares about are the emails they collect. Everyone who votes will be receiving bunch of marketing emails and since contestants will be asking friends to vote they will most likely have some connection to fishing as well and are more likely to buy something. They will also share all the emails with other partners (which is described in t&c, and recieve hefty sums for that.

Therefore it is indeed 100% about hoarding votes. 2oz roach can easily beat 7lb barbel and noone cares. Best way to win these contests is not to play the game. As the OP dis shamelessly here, share ypur entry wherever you can, cheat, whatever you can do, because trust me others doing it as well. Now it depends from company to company what measures they have to detect this kind of behavior. Obviously AD would approve just about any entry so they dont care about that, but i suspect they will care about if the votes are fro real email addresses and will have measures to detect if one person created bunch of mailboxes and voting for himself - all easily done.

You might be blown away by the prizes (£5000 per category) but you have to realize that the email lists they get out of it are worth much much more.

That being said, I would not send begging posts for votes to communities I are about (such as this one).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast