Rods

steve2

Reaction score
I may have too much tackle but it wont stop me buying more rods or reels. With the pike season about to open on my club waters I feel the I need to look at some new reels and some less powerful rods.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a little tip for all those of you who have to justify your purchases to a "significant other half" . . . . . .

peter-jacobs-albums-crete-villa-picture4816-21317427-10154727975142750-8620590338718986366-n.html

LOL

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Neil's reply re Normarks is interesting. One or two of the range from the past I've long coveted but I doubt having them would make a great difference to me; the Microlight 2000, Titan 3000 and Avenger 3000 were all models I wouldn't have minded owning; I got to waggle all of them at national fishing shows back in the 90s. I have been trying to add up the range of Microlites, Titans and Avengers and it is something like (including different lengths) 6 Microlites (Original, 2000, Mk II (version 1), Mk 2 (version 2)), 11 Titans (Original, 2000, 1000, 3000, Mk II (version 1), Mk 2 (version 2)), 9 Avengers (Original, 2000, 1000, 3000, Mk II (version 1), Mk 2 (version 2)). The other rods I coveted and should have bought when I had the chance were the Carbotec No. 1 (plus soft top), and possibly the MK 2 Daiwa Connoisseurs. We don't see Tricast down here but I know they've made some superb rods over the years.

Philip

Reaction score
However apart from just liking them and buying them over many years how do you actually manage to use them all?

You dont. Basically thats the magic of it. You look at it, buy it, stick it in a rod tube then forget you have it. Then one day your clearing out your shed and you find this rod tube you had forgotten about and when you open it and there is a brand new rod in it and its like xmas all ovet again.:D

Reaction score
I have loads,but beachcasters,fly rods,feeder rods,a mixture of float rods,barbel rods from 1.25lb-1.75lb tc,god knows how many I've flogged too,my search for the 'one' is now easing,I have good rods and don't need any more... my wife tells me:cool:

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I can't comment on if your missus buys shoes and handbags in profusion but that's a lever I've used in the past.
Anyway,you cannot have enough fishing rods. And probably reels as well. And definitely floats if that's you're thing. Put it this way,we need tackle shops.

mikench

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for your responses which I enjoyed reading.! All the usual suspects responded as I imagined they would and for that I am gratified. I have just ordered a carp rod and made two bids for older and ,it would appear , jolly good rods from yesteryear !

I have visited my mum and dad today nearly 90 and 89 respectively and having reminiseced and discussed politics, their putative first great grand child and the world economy, i decided life was too short to mess about and embarked upon a minor spending spree!:;)

I now need a new reel or two or maybe more! :wh A centre pin beckons and my mate in the USA might just oblige!!:)

I appreciate everybody's replies! This fishing lark is grand!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Mike,my mum,who is sadly no longer with us,used to deliberately start an argument on politics,knowing that I wouldn't bite so as not to upset her,she loved to see me fume inside...:)

mikench

Reaction score
I know what you mean Alan ! Mum has lost the plot really but you just go along with her! She hasn't cooked a thing for years( Dad does it) and I cooked lunch. She said she was going to but decided to leave it to me as I was coming over. I made Parmentier potatoes which have garlic butter added! Chicken kievs added more garlic butter! Since her stoke she's forgotten she doesn't like garlic, or gravy( wet food), or mustard or alcohol! She said " those potatoes were delicious and just how I like them" " was it à french recipe?".

Dad gives her a glass of port or sherry or , her new favourite, Martini every night to aid sleep for her and thus for him!:rolleyes: I hope I am around at their age!

You have to laugh!:)

puffer_

Reaction score
I have quite a lot of rods, but most of them are fairly cheap (up to £50 generally). A lot of them are for different purposes so they do get used from time to time.

I guess I just never move them on as they're not worth selling. I do occasionally give the odd one away to people that are starting out.

I suppose if I spent more on my rods I would have a smaller collection and all of them would get used. Harder to sneak past the missus though :D

robtherake

Reaction score
I get everything delivered to work, but it's getting them out of the car and into the garage before she clocks them :eek:

Collect them from work just before a fishing trip and they come back in with the rest of your gear, incognito.;)

Reaction score
If my memory serves, I think the most rods I've had at any one time was upwards of fifty. It's nowhere near that now as I sold a lot of them when I was made redundant and over the subsequent few years when I worked for myself. I've certainly owned perhaps two hundred and fifty rods over the years. However, I can honestly say I've never had a rod I didn't use, and any that remain unused for more than a year usually get passed on. This is just as well, as it doesn't take long to acquire replacements.

I hardly ever buy new rods. Not because I don't want to pay full price, but because I don't like the design, fittings and finish of modern rods. I am not a fan of fixed reel seats or those silly duplon handles with a token strip of cork in the middle (where you never hold the rod anyway) which I'm sure is put there just so they can say it has a cork handle, and I don't care for the modern trend in using single-leg stand-off float rod rings all the way up the rod, necessitating the use of an over-heavy application of epoxy to hold them in place.

The best float rods in my opinion were made between 1980 and 1995, give or take a year. Rods such as the Shakespeare Mach 2 boron, the original Normark Microlights and, the best of the lot, the Daiwa Kevlar and Amorphous/Connoisseur ranges. The earliest Drennan rods were very good, and Tricast made some excellent rods too, though I've only ever had one feeder rod of theirs. Even some of the first Silstar-branded rods (which were more-or-less identical to the Shakespeare equivalents, as I believe they were made by the same people anyway) were right up there, better than anything you can get today.

I still have a modest bundle of cane rods I use when the mood takes me, but many of the more unusual ones I once had have been sold. I stick to the Wallis Avons/Wizards, MkIV Avon and MkIV carp rods now, which cover most species and methods, plus a few cane fly rods. I also have a few glass fibre rods which work very well. I don't know exactly how many rods I now own, but I think it's around 25.

Reels are so much easier; I've used all the main Shimano and Daiwa models over the years, but always end up selling them and going back to my ancient and beloved Mitchells, with a couple of ABU closed-faces for light lines.

robtherake

Reaction score
There's no flies on you Rob ;) :D.

Wizard wheeze, that one.:thumbs:
One afternoon, when my boss (and his) were flying to somewhere or other, I hijacked the section van and took it to WMAC to pick up a Tricast feeder rod that was "needed desperately" for the weekend. The round trip from Teesside didn't take that long, really.:wh

mikench

Reaction score
I bought a new rod which was delivered by a courier about 9.00pm last night whilst i was on the phone to Tigger.

It was packed in a 6' black rod tube. The wife was out so i had time to unwrap it, give it the once over in the garden( my neighbours think i've lost the plot) and put it in the garage in its tube with all the others. She will never ever know!! She did once ask what i needed all the drainpipes for! Bless!;)

I hope to test it out on friday weather permitting!:)