Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rods

Default Rods

I suspect I am very low down in the list of who has the most rods and I will not have the temerity to even hint at those at the top! However apart from just liking them and buying them over many years how do you actually manage to use them all?

I used a carp rod yesterday which I had forgotten I possessed and which I had never used. I probably have about 10 rods and I genuinely struggle to use them all regularly. I accept there are different lengths for different venues , different strengths for feeder use and different attributes for prevailing conditions but can you have too many? Isn't it ultimately like a pair of jeans or a car or a wine i.e. your particular favourite for whatever the reason?

binka Guest

Default Re: Rods

Morning Mike...

As you probably already know I'm comparatively minimalistic and a dozen rods cover just about everything for me without too much overlap of purpose and I could probably trim that down a bit in all fairness.

You should really have asked how many combined feet of rods, including extra tops and quivertips, that people own.

That question really messes with people's heads

3. Default Re: Rods

Yes it's like when you ask the wife "don't you have enough pairs of shoes?" We know the answer.

No I don't need them but I want them. We could manage and still do well with far less but if we enjoy it, is that not as good a reason as any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Default Re: Rods

Personally right now I'm really into my lure fishing so mainly use 3 rods, light, medium and heavy depending on what I'm targeting and the conditions. All the rest of my tackle currently gathers dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I have never possessed many rods at one time finance being one reason, a total disinterest in them unless they were capable of performing a specific task that they were purchased for being another. Lack of space is now a reason that I own few rods but those I do have now double up for other fishing, my barbel rods will get used for fishing for Zander.

As an example I once owned 3 13ft Armalites, they were purchased to fish a big pit where distance was needed, I owned them for 2 seasons and when I stopped fishing that pit they were sold as I no longer had a need for them.

I can understand others having lots of rods some of which have increased in value or are used occasionally just for the pleasure they give the user or even because they belonged to a late relative its just not for me though, they are just tools to be used when needed and nowadays my needs are not what they once were.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Clearing the garage yesterday, getting ready for a match this week, I added another 5 rods to the ones in the shed. 2 12' pike rods, 1 avon, 1 specimen, and a 12 meter pole all unused for years. Also a reel,a dozen or so rod rests, 2 rod pods, a couple of rod quivers and a unused drennan rod holdall.
    Do I have too much tackle, yes far too much.
    Most of the time now when I go out I just carry a lure rod.

Hi Mike,
    If you are still mainly on the stillwaters, you might find the scope for investment in carbon tube widens when you find your way onto rivers more often. Long rods in different lengths and strengths for float control and deep water; rods to fish for barbel in snaggy places and floodwater; longer than usual feeder rods to fish well out and hold line off the water on big rivers... And so it goes.

Some people, quite understandably, sell one rod to buy another, but unless I positively dislike one, or feel indifferent, I keep it, adding to the numbers. I don't find a lot of duplication - each one tends to feel ideal for different places, styles, species.

I look after rods, so I still have and use things bought as much as 30 years ago, and rods that pre-date the commercial boom have a different character and were designed for different uses, so they can't be replaced, entirely, by today's.

And I imagine this will appear too sentimental to those who say a rod's just a tool, and focus on, probably, more important things like actually catching fish, but I can remember when I had no fishing rod but wanted one, when rods were a kind of magical object and a passport to another world to be stared at in a shop window. I still have a bit of that attitude. This laptop cost more than any rod I own, but if I tripped and poured coffee over it, I wouldn't mourn it or beat myself up as I would were I to stand on a favourite rod.

I wouldn't want it t seem as though I have a vast expensive collection - quite a few of mine were cheapish and some even home made from cannibalised butts and tips. The price is incidental.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    And I imagine this will appear too sentimental to those who say a rod's just a tool

You old softy Kev
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Yeah I was thinking I was getting a bit dewy-eyed and wicker basket there.

Blog Entries

When I started fishing I bought a starter set and that had a carp rod, a match rod and a 5m pole. I have never used the rods, sassing them on to my brother almost immediately, and bought a cheap Ron Thompson match rod and Okuma reel reel. I used those for a good while and then bought a feeder rod, and then another, and then a carp rod and another feeder rod, and a short pole and a long pole and then people started giving me 'vintage' (not that old) rods, and then I bought some dropshot rods, and another feeder rod, and a carp waggler and another carp rod...

My favorite rod at the moment is an old early carbon float rod that I was given. I also get a lot of fun out of that 5m tele-pole that cam in my original starter set - now I have elasticated it.

How many rods do I need? Probably only one. How many rods would I like? Lots!

My problem is now, I need a few more reels

Ralph.
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My fishing blog

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast