TV Fishing Good or Bad

barbelboi

Reaction score
I set it on the series link (as apart from sport I rarely watch anything live) and lasted about 5 minutes into the first episode - cut out and scrapped the link...

Philip

Reaction score
The basic problem is that fishing just does not lend it self to TV. There is too many long periods of inactivity so people are always trying to find a way to liven it up and make it more appealing.

They tend to go in one of two directions ...either they go down the shoutey screamy route : - "WOW LOOK AT THIS CRITTER GO YA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"!!!!!!!!
or
They go the laid back nature lover route .."Ah look a damsel fly...they live for just one day ...another of the wonders of mother nature we find on the riverbank while we are fishing"...

Niether really works for me.

I recon they need to just pick up the phone to Graham Pullen. Thats a natural presenter and proper fisherman all rolled into one. Give him a small budget and 30mins of air time and I recon he would churn out something that would appeal to lots of people and probably non anglers too.

barbelboi

Reaction score
If past records are anything to go by Paul Witcher or Hugh Miles would probably do it for me.......................

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The "best bit" of angling TV I saw was one of those candid camera camera type programs, I can't remember the name of it, a bloke was quietly fishing by a bridge and the presenter dressed in some weird mask sneaked up behind him with a huge pair of symbols and clashed them together. Mind you if it was me I might have smacked him in the gob..
Apart form that I reckon you could just follow some from the "how did you get thread", warts and all, you would get miles of footage, if you couldn't edit that down to a few good programs then its a lost cause.
That's the thing really for me, just some ordinary everyday good or bad fishing, at least its real, skillful editing would be the key and maybe an Angela Jolie lookalike presenting would help instead of someone who looks like they escaped off some 18th century convict ship. FM members need not apply...

Last edited:

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
It would seem that Korda is the only one producing fishing programmes these days so the output is very samey. The new generation of presenters are quite often much younger than us, keen carpers and go way over the top.

If it gets youngsters interested though, it can't all be bad.

Along with all the other mentions JW, MH JH etc., I would like to add The Compleat Angler with Geoffrey Palmer and Rae Borras. I have the series recorded and enjoy watching it occasionally.

Ah! That's one of ours! Glad you like it.

We've got a new series of documentaries with Rae too - called 'The Great Rivers of England', and with it we try to tell the cultural and social history of the river as seen from an angler's perspective.

For those of you who find the likes of Carp Wars a bit too competitive, I think you'll find this the sort of programme that you'd like to see. You can see the first one here - its about the Severn.

barbelboi

Reaction score
We've got a new series of documentaries with Rae too - called 'The Great Rivers of England'

I'll look out for that then as The Compleat Angler with G P and Rae was certainly one of the better of the more recent (last 10 years) series.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Are fish now just a commodity to be used and abused for profit and will it be the death of fishing. With TV programmes like Carp Wars, Predator Wars, Match Fishing ones where all that counts is who can fill up their keep net quickest.

It seem to me now that fish are being used no differently to performing animals in a circus and we all no what happened to performing circus animals they got banned.

I don't see why you think a TV company 'uses and abuses' fish any more than a recreational angler does? I mean, what do you think we are doing to them!? We're hardly training them to jump through flaming hoops, are we? We don't do anything any differently - if anything we are more careful that the average angler, since we want to set good examples. Even if the competition element isn't to your taste.

Is the presence of a TV camera intrinsically bad for fish? Fishing matches have been around for decades, if not centuries.

Furthermore, what is a commercial carp if not a commodity to be 'used for profit?' Come to that, what is a wild salmon, if not a commodity? Is profit an inherently bad thing, or only when it is happening to someone else?

It also seems to be a bit previous to include Predator Wars in this - we haven't even made a pilot of it yet, so how you can know what it is like I don't know.

We make and host programmes on our platform that are designed to appeal to every kind of angler and viewer:

- action packed competitive eg. Carp Wars, Matt Hayes' 24 Hour Rod Race

- gentle, contemplative eg. The Game Fishers Diary, The Great Rivers of Britain

- adventure and outward exploratory eg The Fish of My Dreams; Enter the Jungle; Welcome to Africa; Scorpion Reef

- conservation and environmental films eg Salmon Confidential; Stepping into the Stream; Beneath the Waterline

- documentaries about particular rivers or systems eg CHALK (Out in Nov);

- instructional and how to: eg The Truth About Feeder Fishing; Improve Your Coarse Fishing; Essential Fly Fishing;

- [Interviews] eg. The World According to Chris Yates; Addicted to Carp

We reckon we've got most bases covered, except maybe comedy, and some might say that the efforts of some of our 'stars' are laughable anyway.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
The "best bit" of angling TV I saw was one of those candid camera camera type programs, I can't remember the name of it, a bloke was quietly fishing by a bridge and the presenter dressed in some weird mask sneaked up behind him with a huge pair of symbols and clashed them together. Mind you if it was me I might have smacked him in the gob..
Apart form that I reckon you could just follow some from the "how did you get thread", warts and all, you would get miles of footage, if you couldn't edit that down to a few good programs then its a lost cause.
That's the thing really for me, just some ordinary everyday good or bad fishing, at least its real, skillful editing would be the key and maybe an Angela Jolie lookalike presenting would help instead of someone who looks like they escaped off some 18th century convict ship. FM members need not apply...

You might like this...

acd4070b0c1b4d56f8866d35160029d4.jpg

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Ha-Ha, nice one, right up my street, as far as way as possible from some bloke who looks like he just escaped from a Victorian Penal Colony will do me and sod the fishing.

You earned a like from me Mr TV.

Hurrah - glad you approve.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Can you try for freshwater and the infinitely more appealing Claudia Darga?

It just so happens that Predator Wars will feature two ladies (at least), though neither is Claudia.

We'll have Jo Stephenson, who you may remember from the BBC's Earth's Wildest Waters, and also Babs Kijewski, a German angler.

Philip

Reaction score
I reckon you could just follow some from the "how did you get thread", warts and all, editing would be the key

Agreed I like the idea of warts and all as well but to edit a series of blanks and make it interesting would be a challenge for even the best production team...

6am shot of angler setting up in excited anticipation, babbling about how the conditions are perfect
8am cut to angler sitting in chair, static rod on a rest. Quick comment from him …”It could go off at any time now, bit surprised it has not already !”
10am cut to angler still in chair…rod still static on rest comment of “it’s a bit slow today”
12pm cut to angler unraveling a massive tangle, close up of angry face , no comment
2pm cut to angler pouring tea from flask. Rod still in rest. No comment
4pm cut to angler in chair arms folded. Hold shot on miserable face for 10 seconds then anglers says “sod this I’m going home”

The end.

Crowbar in a few shots of some ducks paddling about, a solitary coot always seems to get some sort of air time and the sun reflecting off the water. Maybe a reed or two bending in the wind. Riveting I am sure you will agree.:D

mikench

Reaction score
I recognise all those bullets and they are reality for some ie me but it wouldn't be me being asked to present the show,( unless it was meant to be a comedy), but a proper angler!:)

One show like that would be acceptable as said angler tried all the different baits, methods etc to catch a fish.

I am sure that filming in reality would be over several day with the highlights pieced together to make a programme.

flightliner

Reaction score
Watched last nights offering , guys fishing whightacres, not exactly riviting is it watching four guys watching each other.I'll try and catch others over the following weeks in the hope it improves but fear it will be like last nights.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Watched last nights offering , guys fishing whightacres, not exactly riviting is it watching four guys watching each other.I'll try and catch others over the following weeks in the hope it improves but fear it will be like last nights.

I watched it and noticed how most of the fishs mouths where totally smashed, especially in the first water they fished!
I heard one of them say it was hard going as the fish where wild....yeah of course they where :rolleyes:.

I think in waters so stuffed with fish the prize should go to the anglers who catch the least amount of fish!