TV Fishing Good or Bad

steve2

Reaction score
Are fish now just a commodity to be used and abused for profit and will it be the death of fishing. With TV programmes like Carp Wars, Predator Wars, Match Fishing ones where all that counts is who can fill up their keep net quickest.

It seem to me now that fish are being used no differently to performing animals in a circus and we all no what happened to performing circus animals they got banned.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm no lover of modern angling programs. People call JW for his laughing and short shorts etc but i'd rather watch repeats of his programs than watch the modern shyt that gets aired on the box nowadays.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I don't like these new "modern" approach to angling type of programmes . . . . so, I exercise my own censorship and simply don't watch them.

To my mind you cannot better the Hugh Miles' P4A, and follow ups, as I think they portrayed us anglers in a far better light than the modern equivalents.

rayner

Reaction score
Of course fish are a commodity especially with the commercial explosion.
To be expected really with the amount of money that commercial owners plough into their waters.
Anglers either love or hate them. Any dislike can easily be rectified, if you don't like them stay away. I only whish I had the choice.
I still think I used to enjoy 5 to 15lb of roach from the Tidal Trent more than the amount of silver fish I can now achieve from the fishery I'm addicted to now.
At first this new commercial was a real struggle for me but I reckon I'm starting to get to grips with it now.
Even so I still yearn for my lost river days, a world out of reach for me now.

Is fishing natural venues any cheaper to fish. I believe definitely not, not in my case, had I been still capable of driving to the rivers and drains I used to frequent.

OK I got the wrong end of the stick and without thought dismissed TV programmes. I have mentioned before I never bother with angling programmes because I consider them all to be tripe.
I think my short synopsis of my angling still covers angling being a commodity.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whether I like it or not is another matter, but I'm content that some TV fishing is better than none.

rich66

Reaction score
Me neither don't like the new formats watched 10 minutes of carp wars once that was enough. Same with a lot of these YouTube videos couple of minutes or even seconds in then no thanks. I do like the older videos JW, Bob Nudd etc they seem more about the whole angling experience the joy of the catch,the tactics . Not the yank it and bank it approach of a lot of modern tv/vlogs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Today's fishing programmes very much reflect tv in general, with a few exceptions, a load of rubbish.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree! To my mind a fishing programme does not have to emulate reality TV which is all unadulterated tripe and not worth watching so I don't! I like the Matt Hayes programmes and the earlier JW ones and the old guy sat in his shed whose name I cannot recall!;)

I don't dislike DF or Ali Hamidi but the inane grinning and Essex twang and vernacular of DM I find very irritating!

Iain T shall I take up the Meldrew avatar???:rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
Well it's clear that TV angling on the whole is not considered very good.
If this is so then who tunes in to these programmes because without ratings these poor quality efforts would not get air time and they obviously do.

thecrow

Reaction score
IMO angling programmes should be just that, it is possible to make an angling programme that isn't trying to please none anglers as well to try to raise viewing numbers Passion for Angling showed that I think even my wife watched it with me although I did find some of the dialogue a bit false, Catching the Impossible is another and its no coincidence that Hugh Miles was involved in both series.

I find today's modern angling programmes brash and full of things that would give the none angling public completely the wrong idea of what angling is about and remember its from those programmes that the public will form their opinions of anglers not from sitting quietly by a pool or river, imo they do angling a great deal of damage.

iain t

Reaction score
I agree with Rich. The producers need to go back to the old formats like JW fishing and out of town. These programmes showed how fishing was fun and enjoyable. It wasn't all about catching the biggest and concentrating on one species. Am fed up with these new programmes shoving Carp down my throat all the time. The only modernist programmes i watch are the Jermy Wade series. He's a bit out school with the approach to angling, talking to local people and even getting the environment in.
New programmes need to cover all aspects of angling even down to the basics for people that want to get into fishing but haven't an idea where to start.

john step

Reaction score
I don't like the shouty blokey offerings of late but they must appeal to someone. Actually I have tried a couple of times to watch some of them but switched off in EMBARRASSMENT. I would hate non angling friends and acquaintances to think that this loud type of style was typical.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I agree with Rich. The producers need to go back to the old formats like JW fishing and out of town. These programmes showed how fishing was fun and enjoyable. It wasn't all about catching the biggest and concentrating on one species. Am fed up with these new programmes shoving Carp down my throat all the time. The only modernist programmes i watch are the Jermy Wade series. He's a bit out school with the approach to angling, talking to local people and even getting the environment in.
New programmes need to cover all aspects of angling even down to the basics for people that want to get into fishing but haven't an idea where to start.

Couldn't agree more, I was just thinking along those lines, how would I make a program, first I would take you along the town, point out some historical interests, then I would get to the jetty, maybe film some Fulmars flying around or even a Peregrine, or a Dolphin if we got lucky. Then I would float fish for some mackerel or mullet, might spot some shoals, explain what they are and what I am doing, might hook up a gar Fish tailing, that would look good, film some kids using drop nets and see what they pull up, have a laugh and a chat with some passers by, film some sea gulls nicking my chips on the way home. I wouldn't shout, just film it all and then edit it into something more natural and normal. The point is just everyday fishing could probably be far more entertaining, educational, funny etc than the forced contrived stuff they put on these days.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Many of these new style "shouty bloke" TV fishing programmes seems to totally forget the main point that Izaak Walton made many, many years ago in his discourse on angling . . . . namely:

STUDY TO BE QUIET . . . . .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Many of these new style "shouty bloke" TV fishing programmes seems to totally forget the main point that Izaak Walton made many, many years ago in his discourse on angling . . . . namely:

STUDY TO BE QUIET . . . . .

Was that nice about old Jack Hargreaves, just himself with a good clear speaking voice, these shows shouldn't be about the presenters except to enhance the subject, They try too hard to be film stars, they try to become the star of the program instead of making the subject the star.

Reaction score
Another thread where my post disappeared,can't be asked to repost as it was the first reply...oh well.:)

slaphead

Reaction score
It would seem that Korda is the only one producing fishing programmes these days so the output is very samey. The new generation of presenters are quite often much younger than us, keen carpers and go way over the top.

If it gets youngsters interested though, it can't all be bad.

Along with all the other mentions JW, MH JH etc., I would like to add The Compleat Angler with Geoffrey Palmer and Rae Borras. I have the series recorded and enjoy watching it occasionally.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I set it on the series link and lasted about 5 minutes into the first episode - cut out and scrapped the link...