Bait boxes for maggots

fishplate42

Reaction score
My local tackle shop will only sell maggots in a bait box. If as I seem to do far too often, I forget to take a box, I end up having to buy another one :mad:

I now have a huge collection of nearly new bait boxes. I know I must try and remember to take one with me. I have even tried leaving one in the car but it usually gets brought in with whatever happens to be in the boot.

Is this commonplace? and while we are talking about maggots, how much do you guys pay out of London? A pint here is £3.20.

Ralph.

iain t

Reaction score
Mine will put them in box or bag. I pay £2.50 a pint in West Sussex.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a right con to me Ralph, why not put them in a polythene bag? I'm sure most tackle shops would....£3 in Blean.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Sounds like a right con to me Ralph, why not put them in a polythene bag? I'm sure most tackle shops would....£3 in Blean.

They sell very nice looking maggots, lose out of big trays in a glass fronted fridge. I guess they are more expensive because of the location. I think the reason they don't put them in bags is two fold. Their carrier bags are full of 'safety' holes and they don't like putting them in plastic bags, zip lock or not, because they might escape. It is fine by me, as long as I remember the bloomin' box. As it is a 9-mile round trip, it is not worth going back for a box if I forget it.

I was just interested to see what other tackle shops do.

Ralph.

mikench

Reaction score
I have just bought 2 pints for £3.40 ie £1.70 a pint. I always keep a couple of 2.2 pint boxes in the car along with most of my Tackle it must be said!;) That way I seldom forget things!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dan at Blean sells a variety of baits loose, hemp, pellet, dog biscuits and maggots, he uses some nice sized poly bags, big enough to put an overhand knot in to prevent anything escaping. That's how I now keep my maggots in the fridge, they go to "sleep" and will last much longer.

ian g

Reaction score
My local tackle shop in Shrewsbury insists on maggots only being sold in a box . I now have a few maggot boxes as it's 15 miles to the shop , they gave me a tale about them being liable to a fine for selling maggots in a bag . Funnily enough Fosters in Brum were I go now and again haven't heard about the fine. Must admit the local shops maggots are pretty good and around £2.70 a pint so not cheap. Good tip about putting them in a bag in the fridge , I'll have to try that.

mikench

Reaction score
Any tackle shop which purported to say that maggots have feelings and need to be kept in boxes would never see me again!:) They are maggots ffs; loathsome things in truth!:)

Reaction score
I believe it is illegal to sell maggots in bags,a law which isn't enforced,so is ignored by most.

ian g

Reaction score
Any tackle shop which purported to say that maggots have feelings and need to be kept in boxes would never see me again!:) They are maggots ffs; loathsome things in truth!:)

Mike the problem I have is availability , there used to be 4 tackle shops I used at different times in Shrewsbury and one in Whitchurch as far as I know we just have the one left . Bait is good and it's a well stocked shop so I just make sure I have a bait box with me when I go now.

thecrow

Reaction score

I am sure i remember reading in the Angling Times when I was a kid that the RSPCA had tried to take a tackle shop to court for cruelty to maggots :eek: nothing came of it iirc.

sam vimes

Reaction score
None of my locals insist on a buyer of maggots having a bait box to my knowledge. However, I invariably have a baitbox or two in the car.

Depending on which local shop I visit, a pint of maggots is either £2.50 or £3. Only by travelling the best part of fifty miles can I get maggots for significantly less.

B

binka

£2.60 a pint but four pints or more it drops to £2.40 a pint and they're always good, well kept maggots.

Never had a problem with not having a bait box on the few occasions that I forget, a clear poly bag is provided and it does the job fine until I get them home.

I've been truly startled as to how many worms I can collect off a golf green first thing in a morning, no digging involved, they're just there begging to be picked up.

I reckon I could have a nice little side line going as a worm baron :cool:

mikench

Reaction score
My local tackle shop is great and its maggots are cheap! As I have said I always have boxes in the car just in case!:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've been truly startled as to how many worms I can collect off a golf green first thing in a morning, no digging involved, they're just there begging to be picked up.

I reckon I could have a nice little side line going as a worm baron :cool:

Have they got a proper muck heap for a source of brandlings? I've not been able to get hold of them since I was a kid. They were deadly for the local grayling. Dendros just aren't the same.

B

binka

Have they got a proper muck heap for a source of brandlings? I've not been able to get hold of them since I was a kid. They were deadly for the local grayling. Dendros just aren't the same.

More like how many are there?

I've been clocking the areas in the rough where the grass collection boxes are regularly emptied, I've not had a chance to have a good poke around yet but a lot of the stuff is well rotted and I have high expectations :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Placcy bag or box round these parts and the faggots are 2.50 a pint....thieving scrotes round ere lol.

iain t

Reaction score
OK, I'll hold my hands up. Am cruel to maggots. I've frozen them to death, squashed them, Stuck pins in their heads, I've even fed them to fish and the worst I've drown them. So how long will my sentence be ?. Just want to know before i hand myself in the cops. If it's too long i may have to go on the run to Acupolco.