Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Bait boxes for maggots

My local tackle shop will only sell maggots in a bait box. If as I seem to do far too often, I forget to take a box, I end up having to buy another one

I now have a huge collection of nearly new bait boxes. I know I must try and remember to take one with me. I have even tried leaving one in the car but it usually gets brought in with whatever happens to be in the boot.

Is this commonplace? and while we are talking about maggots, how much do you guys pay out of London? A pint here is £3.20.

Ralph.
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My fishing blog

Default Re: Bait boxes for maggots

Mine will put them in box or bag. I pay £2.50 a pint in West Sussex.

Sounds like a right con to me Ralph, why not put them in a polythene bag? I'm sure most tackle shops would....£3 in Blean.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Sounds like a right con to me Ralph, why not put them in a polythene bag? I'm sure most tackle shops would....£3 in Blean.
    They sell very nice looking maggots, lose out of big trays in a glass fronted fridge. I guess they are more expensive because of the location. I think the reason they don't put them in bags is two fold. Their carrier bags are full of 'safety' holes and they don't like putting them in plastic bags, zip lock or not, because they might escape. It is fine by me, as long as I remember the bloomin' box. As it is a 9-mile round trip, it is not worth going back for a box if I forget it.

I was just interested to see what other tackle shops do.

Ralph.
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My fishing blog

I have just bought 2 pints for £3.40 ie £1.70 a pint. I always keep a couple of 2.2 pint boxes in the car along with most of my Tackle it must be said! That way I seldom forget things!

Dan at Blean sells a variety of baits loose, hemp, pellet, dog biscuits and maggots, he uses some nice sized poly bags, big enough to put an overhand knot in to prevent anything escaping. That's how I now keep my maggots in the fridge, they go to "sleep" and will last much longer.

My local tackle shop in Shrewsbury insists on maggots only being sold in a box . I now have a few maggot boxes as it's 15 miles to the shop , they gave me a tale about them being liable to a fine for selling maggots in a bag . Funnily enough Fosters in Brum were I go now and again haven't heard about the fine. Must admit the local shops maggots are pretty good and around £2.70 a pint so not cheap. Good tip about putting them in a bag in the fridge , I'll have to try that.

Any tackle shop which purported to say that maggots have feelings and need to be kept in boxes would never see me again! They are maggots ffs; loathsome things in truth!

Blog Entries

I believe it is illegal to sell maggots in bags,a law which isn't enforced,so is ignored by most.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishplate42 View Post
    A pint here is £3.20.
    They wouldn't be selling many round here for that price, I would want a bait box chucked in for that
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast