Terminal tackle that works

mikench

Reaction score
I used Enterprise baits meat mates(?) for hair rigging spam for the first time yesterday and whilst I didn't catch a thing the spam stayed on the hair rig for cast after cast until I reverted to boilies!;) Usually meat only stays on for one gentle underarm lob!

What other tackle bits actually work and are worth having in your box?

soft plastic

Reaction score
Same sort of thing... Quick Stops. Most of the leading tackle manufacturers do their own version. Great for attaching worms, amongst other things, and leaving the hook free. Certainly improves the hook up rate.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

robtherake

Reaction score
I think Chris recently mentioned the Cralusso Q/C swivels for hooklinks, which weigh the same as either a number 8 or 10 and thus fit handily into your shotting patterns. Despite appearances, they're also insanely strong for their size, so shouldn't ever break under normal float fishing situations. Reusable, too. 10/10

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think Chris recently mentioned the Cralusso Q/C swivels for hooklinks, which weigh the same as either a number 8 or 10 and thus fit handily into your shotting patterns. Despite appearances, they're also insanely strong for their size, so shouldn't ever break under normal float fishing situations. Reusable, too. 10/10

There's little point in searching out the Cralusso variety now. Drennan have just brought out there own version. Quick Snap Swivels | Drennan International
If you are feeling tight, and are prepared to trawl through ebay, you can buy them direct from China for a fraction of the price. However, the ones I found differ from the Drennan/Cralusso in that they have a shiny finish rather than a black one.

john step

Reaction score
Enterprise Adjuster stops for most free running lead application as it is also an effective rubber bead which keeps the hooklink kicked out and is practically tangle free.

Avid corn stops. Both sinking and floating. The little hook on the back allows the end of the hair loop to be buried within the bait. Also gives a wider hair stop for meat baits. They can be bought in colours to suit the bait.

robtherake

Reaction score
There's little point in searching out the Cralusso variety now. Drennan have just brought out there own version. Quick Snap Swivels | Drennan International
If you are feeling tight, and are prepared to trawl through ebay, you can buy them direct from China for a fraction of the price. However, the ones I found differ from the Drennan/Cralusso in that they have a shiny finish rather than a black one.

Yeah, the pics of the silver ones gave no size comparison, so I was disappointed to find that they were quite a bit bigger, too.

B

binka

Tapered bore buffer beads.

Very much an underrated piece of kit imo, they sit there protecting the knot whilst wedged very nicely so as not to move and invite a tangle and still allowing the swivel to function perfectly.

Marvellous little things :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Buffer beads....why, i've never had damage done to knots when not using one. I never use 'em and imo the majority of terminal tackle is just designed to get you to spend your money, simple as that. Those meat mates Mike mentions arn't necessary, i've never had a problem keeping mest on the hook by using a bit of grass stalk or a hawthorn spike etc. It's easy to be taken in with all these little nick-nacks but in reality you don't need them.

Philip

Reaction score
Half a cm of 1mm silicon tube and a snapped off bit of wooden toothpick. Great little stops.

The wood swells in the water and keeps it all nice and tight but can still be slid without any line damage.

Use a slightly shorter length of tooth pick & you can hide it totally inside the tubing so tangle free too.

B

binka

Buffer beads....why, i've never had damage done to knots when not using one. I never use 'em and imo the majority of terminal tackle is just designed to get you to spend your money, simple as that. Those meat mates Mike mentions arn't necessary, i've never had a problem keeping mest on the hook by using a bit of grass stalk or a hawthorn spike etc. It's easy to be taken in with all these little nick-nacks but in reality you don't need them.

Low resistance running rigs, if you don't use a bead with a wide diameter running swivel the hooklink swivel will pass straight through.

In fairness I've always been slightly sceptical of low resistance running rigs which incorporate a wide running swivel eye, as long as the line passes through and only touches the one part of an inner edge of the swivel then the rest of the area serves no purpose at all but I buy into it on the off chance.

Probably worthy of a thread in it's own right, I shall do just that...

Philip

Reaction score
Yes come on Steven wheres that thread ...I am itching to say a small swivel eye cloggs up easier than a big one ...;):D

puffer_

Reaction score
Yes I find them great for attaching worms.

Exactly what I've been using them for all weekend.

I do quite like the ready made hooks to nylon with the gold hook and yellow quick stop for sweetcorn. I'm probably being a bit of a tart, but they're nice :D

rayner

Reaction score
For hair rigging soft baits like meat bait bands work better than quick stops for me. I have snapped too many quick stops in my landing net.