Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: The things that stop you (me!) fishing

The only real things that stop me fishing are strong gale winds, the flu or hospital appointments. The last one i can usually work around by going before or after the appointment

Torrential rain before setting off and an adverse forecast will usually put me off

I hate wind so unless I can have it behind me I tend to just feeder fish. The combination of the two is intolerable!

When I do go despite the weather I usually enjoy it. The trouble with life is that "events" interfere with most pleasurable pursuits with work bring the worst culprit!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Ok, you're a townie that hates mud (not the best hate to have for an angler). So fish to your tastes, a nice long lie in, leave after the rush about 10am and head for the docklands, must be less than an hour that time of day. Can only think there'ssome drop shot heaven around there amongst the suits!
    I didn't say I hat mud, I said I have an aversion to mud!

If I want to go urban fishing in the docks, yes I can do that, and I do. If I want to fish the Regent's Canal, I will go early to avoid the boat traffic. Today I was aiming to fish a 'natural' pond that is in a hollow. With heavy rain overnight I knew the ground would have been soft so I wanted to get there at first light and if it was too muddy (for my liking) I would go and fish elsewhere.

This plan was derailed by the lorry getting stuck in the roadworks outside our house at 03:30 this morning.

Ralph
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My fishing blog

Blog Entries

The thought of setting up in freezing cold and persistent rain usually gets me staying in bed these days, because I don't get a lot of joy from trudging to a swim soaked through and shivering on a cold winters day; although if the rain starts after I've got settled under my wavelock brollie and I'm fairly warm and dry then I'm happy as Larry.

Another thing that will keep me at home is; if violent thunder and lightning storms are forecast during the day; even though one of my most productive Carp sessions; when every Carp in the lake seemed to be climbing up my line; happened during a violent thunder and lightning storm back in the days of glass fibre and cane rods; but I'm a lot older and wiser today and holding a carbon fibre lightening conductor (rod) in my hands could likely be the last thing that I did

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 28-09-2017 at 18:47.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Just the obligations of marriage and family. Being retired I imagined every day would be available to fish. Not so it seems. Looking at my diary I have only managed a miserable twice a week average so far this year.

That's disgraceful John! I hope it is not a reflection of what retirement is like!

Setting up in the rain is one of the worst scenarios,rain together with a strong wind usually has me staying at home.If these conditions turn up once I am fishing then so be it although I then agree with the late Fred J - 'I'll be glad when I've had enough of this'

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Looking at my diary I have only managed a miserable twice a week average so far this year.
    Your yanking my chain John right ? Twice a week ON AVERAGE this year !

I'm lucky if I manage twice a month and then its for a snatched hour or two.

I shouldnt complain as to be honest I have loads of free time...Midnight to 7am is usually free but unfortunatly pesky sleep tends to get in the way..

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Just the obligations of marriage and family. Being retired I imagined every day would be available to fish. Not so it seems. Looking at my diary I have only managed a miserable twice a week average so far this year.
    I know how you feel John, its once a week if I am lucky,
    there is that much getting in the way of going I wonder how I managed to find
    time to go to work, When I retired I thought great out most days.

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    I know how you feel John, its once a week if I am lucky,
    there is that much getting in the way of going I wonder how I managed to find
    time to go to work, When I retired I thought great out most days.
    Yes in previous years I felt hard done by if I was out less than 4 complete days a week with a couple of weeks off for holidays!!
    After getting my current obligations out of the way I shall endeavour to be more considerate to the tackle trade.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast